NY Style Pizza

I may be wanting a pizza oven at some point...

I recommend getting one if you are serious about it. However, you can get a good pizza stone/steel and use your home oven for a while to see if it's something you want to pursue more, before dropping the money. You just won't be able to reach Neapolitan temps.

I usually do my NY pies in my home oven. But that only goes to 500. It works, but I wanted to try some NY at a little higher temp. Using the exact same dough, the difference between a 500 and 600 F cook is very noticeable. I much prefer the higher temp pie.

I do everything by weight, % weight of flour to be exact.
Measure everything out on scales.
This dough was a recipe I grabbed from another member on a different site. I adjusted the recipe for 12" pizzas so it would easily fit in my oven. 270gr ball weight for 12".

I'm not very meticulous in my mixing process, I just toss in the dry ingredients followed by the wet. Mix until its smooth. 10-14 minutes in my KA mixer with dough hook. I use instant yeast. If you use Active dry you would want to bloom it in some water first.

I fermented this dough in my fridge for around 20hrs, then at room temp for 5-6. The dough looked about perfect.
Next time I may adjust the yeast down and do a 48hr ferment.

Thanks for sharing I will be trying this recipe

I bought a cheap campchef pizza of of craigs list for $40...time to knock the dust off and make some pies!!

Thanks for the inspiration and dough recipe.

Back