New Thermoworks Wireless remote announced

I own a thermapen and a backwoods. With the guru I don't see any need for this, the cooker locks in temp and I can pretty much guesstimate the meat cook with a quick check in a couple times throughout. Also with taking tips from here that 275 and above cooks are just as good the time lapse is a lot shorter.
Other cooking setups this would be nice but it can be unnecessary with solid cookers no?

I will get this since I am not happy with my maverick and every Thermoworks products I have are first rate. Will use it on my Performer and continue to use my HeaterMeter on the WSM22.

Wish it were set up for type K probes. I already have a couple of ThermaQ's and a seemingly defunct BlueTherm Duo with a multitude of K type probes to go with them. Would definitely go for one of these if I didn't have to mess with more/differing probes.

And I just bought a Chef Alarm in the last open box sale, plus a grate/air probe. Though I am tired of my pair of failing Mavericks.

i like it but agree they should've put at least 3 probes. Maybe they will release a full on comp unit with 4 probes later.

I ordered one the other day! I already have Thermoworks products and use them religiously. I'm excited this will have the WiFi option and will work with my pro series probes. Can't wait to get it! Now to figure out what to smoke first with it....

I didn't order one yet. I did order two Timestick trios though while I was on the website looking at the smoke. Wifey got a pink I got a black. I am always needing a timer and using a phone sucks.

Can the people ordering these come back and tell us how it went? I'm most interested in how far you can walk away from the prob and how that compares to the maverick.

If anyone is wondering how the Smoke will compare to a maverick, here is a video some guys from amazingribs.com put together as a comparison review.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv7lgoUa75w"]Smoke thermometer by Thermoworks Vs Maverick ET-732 | Which is best wireless therm | comparison - YouTube[/ame]

The upcoming smoke gateway feature & smartphone app is very interesting and appealing. Wonder what the extra cost for that will be.

Someone on their Facebook page claimed they called and asked and it would be an $89 add-on. Take that for what it's worth.

My question, which I've asked on both AmazingRibs (where I first heard abuot this yesterday) and on the TW Facebook page:

I'm ready to update my older Maverick ET-732 to this. Only one question: How big are the probes at their widest spot? Will they fit through a hole drilled in the side like the others (keep in mind I can get an ET-732 air temperature probe through the hole I drilled, and that's a fairly thick probe)? The pictures make them look like they have a fairly large coupler near the probe end.

I'll let you know if they answer!

I see the specs say the probes are "0.13 inches dia. reduces to 0.08 inches dia.", but is that just the probe itself, or what appears to be a coupler just behind it?

Can someone explain how a wireless gateway works?

Edit: never mind I found what I was looking for on the egghead forum!

Last edited:
Someone on their Facebook page claimed they called and asked and it would be an $89 add-on. Take that for what it's worth.

My question, which I've asked on both AmazingRibs (where I first heard abuot this yesterday) and on the TW Facebook page:

I'm ready to update my older Maverick ET-732 to this. Only one question: How big are the probes at their widest spot? Will they fit through a hole drilled in the side like the others (keep in mind I can get an ET-732 air temperature probe through the hole I drilled, and that's a fairly thick probe)? The pictures make them look like they have a fairly large coupler near the probe end.

I'll let you know if they answer!

I see the specs say the probes are "0.13 inches dia. reduces to 0.08 inches dia.", but is that just the probe itself, or what appears to be a coupler just behind it?
The diameter of the coupler is 0.345 of an inch.

The probes do look kind of thick. I hope that I can get them through the probe ports on my Yoder.

No go. The diameter of the probe-port nut is 0.330, and the standard Chef Alarm probe, measured at the largest part (the coupler) is 0.345.

It does appear there is enough material in the probe-port nut that it could be drilled to a size which would accommodate the probe.

If one removes the nut from the probe port on the Yoder, the Chef Alarm probe will then fit through the hole. It just won't have the spiffy rubber seal which the nut tightens around the wire.

If anyone is wondering how the Smoke will compare to a maverick, here is a video some guys from amazingribs.com put together as a comparison review.

Smoke thermometer by Thermoworks Vs Maverick ET-732 | Which is best wireless therm | comparison - YouTube

Very nice video. For those willing to spend the extra cash, it looks like the Smoke is a great choice. My guess is it will last longer than the Maverick as well.

Also glad to see that Baby Back Maniac will be getting paid handsomely from both ThermoWorks and Amazingribs.com for his appearance. My guess is he will be retiring soon! :wink:

I almost bought a Chef Alarm when they had them on sale a couple of weeks back / when I got the email from them about this I immediately purchased. The probes on my Maverick have been out for a year and my Igrill is down 2 ports after a year. If it's anything like there other products it should be a win!

Straight probes like what comes with the DOT would have been better. Especially if you use probe ports.

A 4 probe unit would sell like $2 brisket

Back