In case you don't have enough toys

Ha! Just got that email. My purple (fastest) mk4 seems instant to me, I can't imagine I'd see a difference in performance to the "1 second" Thermapen One. I would notice the lightening of my wallet by $105 + shipping.

How many here are going for it?

I'm going to hold out for the Thermapen OneQuarter.

I’m in the same boat. When mine eventually craps out I’ll upgrade to this new one, but I can’t justify it right now. The model right now is close enough to instant for me.

I love my Mk4 and plenty fast for my use. If one were checking the temp of 20 briskets, or other food item, I could see the need for more speed. They are designed for professional use, as well as everyone else. Now, if they came up with an infrared thermometer that could shoot the beam through the steel of my offset smoker, that would be something.

I bought the original when it was on a very good sale many years ago.
I bought the Mk4 when it got marked down for clearance last month.
When they drop the price on the ONE...I may buy one...Probably not gonna see that for a while...

Well, I guess we kind of figured it would be something like this, which is something that I'd say 98% of those of us who own MK4s won't buy anytime soon.

:noidea:

I’m in the same boat. When mine eventually craps out I’ll upgrade to this new one, but I can’t justify it right now. The model right now is close enough to instant for me.

This. Just can’t justify “upgrading” to the One over the MK4 over a second. It does also say it’s slightly more accurate. But my purchase for this would only be if my MK4 bites the dust and the One is on a good sale.

What’s surprising to me is that they are doing away with the MK4 line but keeping the Classic. Looks like the MK4 is so close to the One in terms of performance that they would keep the Classic to show more of a distinction in features from the Classic to the One

I have 2 MK4's (one is still in the package) I'll be passing on the Thermopen One until one of my MK4's die.

He's my issue with these guys...Harry included. It is almost impossible for them to critically review anything otherwise they'll shoot themselves in the foot with manufactures and getting T&E products.
I personally lost some respect for Harry when the Smokefire was introduced and it was obviously a dumpster fire yet he was fanboying it.
(I understand Weber has since worked hard on correcting it, I still personally wouldn't buy one)

Baby Back Maniac is one of the few I have seen be critical of things when its righty warranted.

Sorry, just my rant. I take what almost all YouTubers say with a grain of salt.
They're influencers not reviewers. I'm far more interested in what the everyday, hardworking folks here, that are spending their own money have to say.

Last edited:
I love my MK4 and have had several people buy one after using mine. Will I run out and buy a “One”/MK5? Probably not. Will I buy one when this one stops working? That’s a solid YES!

I'll wait until it comes out in an Operation BBQ Relief special edition, then I might get one.

I have two regular Thermapens. I kinda want to buy the mk4, as I'm usually using it in my left hand. It doesn't look like this one is ambidextrous?

Back