New Thermoworks Wireless remote announced

I got my Smoke on Friday. Here are my first impressions:

The unit is solid and well-built. My concern was that the probes were going to be too large to fit through the grommet on the WSM.

picture.php

That turned out to be an unnecessary concern. The probe is snug, but fits fine.

picture.php

I actually put both probes through the larger hole in the grommet.

picture.php

picture.php

I put the grate probe in the center of the upper rack to compare to the dome thermometer.

picture.php

I was impressed with how close they were

picture.php

The Weber gauge was a few degrees (~5°) lower than the Smoke. The alarms were easy to set and the remote worked well. I went inside and was able to receive a signal through two walls (one of which was brick).

This is a great little unit.

David

I sent a PM as well, but where did you find that grommet? I have been lookng for something like that for my offset smoker.

Good to see that those probes fit through there. The grommet comes with the newer WSMs, the Weber part is #85037. Nice little silicone bit. Looks like it's available online from a few places for $6 to $17. Just measured the hole for it on my WSM at an 1-1/4", keep in mind the walls of the WSM aren't very thick though so the grommet doesn't have a very wide groove in it.

Well Dang...More money to be spent. I need a ThermoWorks MK4 pen and I guess I add one of these to the order as well.

I'm excited about this unit.

This video from AmazingRibs.com covers just that question - and yes, it covers 300 feet. They do the test outside though, so no walls or anything to go through.

Some other good info in there too.

Yeah, we did that because there were fewer variables. We initially tested it indoors and then decided it was too complicated to present the information in the video and compare with the Maverick...especially when the Maverick took 4 minutes to tell us when it lost it's signal.

The Smoke range is definitely better than the Maverick, but I don't know if I'd make a buying choice off of it because the Maverick 732 has pretty fantastic range. The big difference for me was the speed of the meat probe, ease of use, and the overall build quality.

Back