My attempt at American Cheese

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
After Adam's (Snadamo) post on all homemade burgers, we ordered Sodium Citrate to give it a try.

Last weekend MSD and I made the American Cheese using the Chud method and followed to recipe in the description. It set up pretty fast and we Refridgerated right away in three containers adding freeze dried jalapenos to the third container.

Mid-week we had fried span and egg sammiches with homemade bread using the jalapeno American cheese.

AC3.jpg

AC4.jpg

AC5.jpg

The next test was burgers using the plain American Cheese on homemade bun with homemade fries.

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Overall, it was a great experience, but I think maybe just a little too much sodium citrate and the cheese set up a bit after melting. It worked great and the taste was good just the texture was a little off.

Might give this another try with a 1/2 batch to experiment.

The addition of the jalapenos was great. Maybe add a variety of different pepper we have freeze dried.

No regrets - Thank Adam for the inspiration.

SD

Looks fantastic Neighbor!!
I'm behind in reading the forum. Are these "cheeses" or "cheese sauces"?

I made a 2nd batch that I’ll get to try on burgers tomorrow. (This one set up)
I used 12g sc.

I like the addition of the peppers.

Looks good SD! I agree with you assessment as well....flavor was on point, but the texture was off (as in more soft) than expecting. I was going to fiddle with adding more cheddar and possibly use heavy cream next go round.

Looks good SD! I agree with you assessment as well....flavor was on point, but the texture was off (as in more soft) than expecting. I was going to fiddle with adding more cheddar and possibly use heavy cream next go round.

I did use heavy cream and I think the cheese was OK. I did use all sharp cheddar. I'm thinking to back off on the emulsion with less sodium citrate.

I think it is a fine line between sliceable American cheese and nacho cheese.

Thanks for the inspiration - Now MSD is planning to make cream cheese.

Back