I made cheese, semi-fail

I’m thinking the same thing, a cheese knife doesn’t like to slice it, or should I say it doesn’t even like to be sliced by a cheese knife.

I have a wire slicer I can use once I get it solid.

2%................. Get a rope! :razz:

My wife bought whole milk last month for a recipe, I drank it before the recipe was made!

I think the thread title should be "I made processed cheese food using real cheese". You didn't make cheese. But I'm kind of a karen on terminology. LOL

Or is that Ken :biggrin1:

I’ll be watching this thread with interest and checking out Adam’s as well. While I’ve always been good at cutting cheese, I’ve never considered making it from scratch up until now.

I'm betting on you forgot to zero the scale. I usually use 4% sodium citrate and 85-90% liquid for making cheese sauces and after cooling down, even that ratio solidifies. Your ratio looks like 57% liquid so it should have firmed up quite well.

I bought an emersion blender just for this. Bradley does have a live stream on Sundays. If you still don't have luck you could try to message him during it. I actually got 2 answers one night that I was able to catch live.

Processed cheese is so much better for cheese sauce for mac n cheese, Queso, beer cheese for dipping soft pretzels. Plus you can make all sorts of cheese sauces, parmesan gorgonzola, go for it, it won't separate.

^^^^^
He's right. Sodium citrate is a savior when I make alfredo with real Parmigiano Reggiano. It's a very dry hard cheese and even a few seconds of too high temps will split the sauce into a mess.

But the sodium citrate prevents the splitting. If you don't use too much it's hardly noticeable. If you use a bit too much you can detect a slight American cheese flavor.

Pro-tip: If you are making a sauce and have no sodium citrate, add a few slices of American and it will help smooth it out. I've even saved a cheese sauce that split by adding American and mixing for a bit over very low heat.

Processed cheese is so much better for cheese sauce for mac n cheese, Queso, beer cheese for dipping soft pretzels. Plus you can make all sorts of cheese sauces, parmesan gorgonzola, go for it, it won't separate.

Which is I suppose the point. Made cheese sauce for mac and cheese, and if you don't get it right it will split.

However, I do make a good cheese sauce for a cauliflower bake which would normally use a bechamel.

Butter, cream cheese, cream, then shredded cheddar to thicken and add parmesan for more kick. I add mustard powder, pepper. It won't thicken up to be cut but it's a fantastic sauce for baking and dipping... and totally keto!

Well, I verified the first attempt was a driver error.

Today, I made ‘processed American cheese food using real cheese’ for the Karen’s out there :razz:

It turned out perfect and I have it ready for some burgers as soon as it warms up around here.

I had to forget to zero my scale once last time as I had another 1/3 as much grated cheese this time.

I did use less butter, and half and half this time.

If you want to make cheese from scratch give New England Cheesemaking supply company a try! https://cheesemaking.com/

Years ago I was into making pizza and decided to make every ingredient for a pizza. I started making mozzarella from scratch using a kit that I bought from New England cheese making supply company, and it was pretty foolproof.

The don’t have a recipe for American but they do have a $29 starter kit that can be used to make the following cheeses from scratch: Farmhouse Cheddar, Gouda, Monterey Jack, Feta, Cottage Cheese, Colby, Parmesan and Ricotta.

Well, I verified the first attempt was a driver error.

Today, I made ‘processed American cheese food using real cheese’ for the Karen’s out there :razz:

It turned out perfect and I have it ready for some burgers as soon as it warms up around here.

I had to forget to zero my scale once last time as I had another 1/3 as much grated cheese this time.

I did use less butter, and half and half this time.

Glad you got it going! And I agree about the additional cheese.

Back