Mayo + Brisket

So maybe I read this post wrong, Isn't today the cook day? Hows it going? what's it looking like? Maybe I jumped the gun on this but I swear I seen the thread last night.

I haven't slathered anything I've cooked. I was interested to see if a mustard slather added anything flavor wise but don't feel like getting my hands dirty.

So maybe I read this post wrong, Isn't today the cook day? Hows it going? what's it looking like? Maybe I jumped the gun on this but I swear I seen the thread last night.

I haven't slathered anything I've cooked. I was interested to see if a mustard slather added anything flavor wise but don't feel like getting my hands dirty.

I think it is going on tonight so we wont have results until Saturday.

For the mayo nay sayers and fence sitters I challenge you do do the simple mayo challenge test, prepare two identical grilled cheese sandwiches only difference is apply mayo to the outside of one sandwich and apply butter the the outside of the other then grill as normal. Most folks will prefer the flavor of the one grilled using mayo over butter. Something about the grilled caramelized mayo kicks it up a notch.

I will try this the next time I make a steak onion and cheese grinder. Slather the inside of the grinder roll with mayo then grill it mayo side down. Can't wait.
Thanks for the idea

I think it is going on tonight so we wont have results until Saturday.

Yes indeed... I get out of work at 9 pm so I should be home and ready to roll to start the midnight cook. Have the house to myself for the night.

Wow, can't wait to see how this turns out...eagerly awaiting results. Just S&P + regular mayo?

I originally wanted to do Mayo with just S&P to minimize the variables of this cook... but I started doing S&P with a second layer of flavor on my briskets. Allows me to add additional spices without worrying about the salt content. Paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion will be the B team on this brisket.

I'm not necessarily going to jump on the idea, but I definitely won't slam someone else for trying something new...

I'm not necessarily going to jump on the idea, but I definitely won't slam someone else for trying something new...

Mayo slather is by no means new. I read about it here several years ago and tried it on chicken and grilled corn with stellar results. I still do chicken and corn with mayo.

It is just that a couple of the heavy hitter brethren mentioned it that the technique is in the fore front right now.

I like Dukes mayo with chicken, but mayo on a brisket rings off to me. I use canola oil lightly to slather a brisket.

On about 11:15 pm central. Using mesquite, pecan, and post oak. Shooting for 250-275. Let's see what happens!

f57f8ab8c64c83e15593648ad94fe5e7.jpg

Used aluminum flashing to raise the height of the Hunsaker box about 2.5". I only got a 10 hour cook last time.

5b4325b854e39b03fe68f6f6afb78b5c.jpg

e912cd2f25c13b78e01fa1a6f3007da4.jpg

The Texas trinity to start this off...

7a5c67f07690f1c186215d29e5b7d078.jpg

Before pic...

bc6964ed5497526df1dd8732f0809e92.jpg

7853c60a2d41555155a2f3af0890f51a.jpg

Back