Labor Day Brisket- 1st on the Limo Jr.

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
So today I test the new Jr. with a brisket. I picked up one of the choice briskets at Kroger that was on sale. Not particularly enamored with the quality of it, but we'll see how it turns out. Trimmed it, coated with EVOO, then put a base of Boone's Butcher shop's "Better Burger" which is a blend of salt, black and red pepper, garlic and butter seasoning. Then went back over it with Kosmo's Cow Cover. Got the smoker cranking at 275 with hickory mini splits on the grate over the ash pan. Stay tuned....

LBRvD8sh.jpg

tsSZjI1h.jpg

K6pSRbIh.jpg

a8O34Tvh.jpg

Wrapped it several hours ago... it seems to stay more moist on top than it did in my stick burner. This had been in 5 hours with no spritz.....

rkUlT8jh.jpg

Pulled it when it probed tender, which was 205. It's in the oven now at 170 degrees for a couple of hours.

Good looking brisket. Looking forward to your thoughts on taste. Coming from a really nice stick burner you had to anything else, I’m sure is a bit of a challenge, at least to get the product to taste how you want.

I wasnt quite as ambitious as you, just finished a simple pork butt. Turned out excellent though on my Limo Jr.

Good looking brisket. Looking forward to your thoughts on taste. Coming from a really nice stick burner you had to anything else, I’m sure is a bit of a challenge, at least to get the product to taste how you want.

I wasnt quite as ambitious as you, just finished a simple pork butt. Turned out excellent though on my Limo Jr.

It turned out pretty good, although a little too much salt and the red pepper really pops. (That's on me, I put too much on) I think I will probably go back to just salt and pepper, which is what my wife likes. I, however, always seem to be on the search for the next best thing in rubs. I'm also having trouble with my controller. It shows a different temp from the Maverick, and yesterday I had smoke blasting back out of the fan on occasion. I foresee a Fireboard in my future..... I was, however, kind of surprised at the amount of smoke ring the Jr. imparted on the brisket. This smoker really does do a fantastic job. Sometimes I miss my stickburner, but I also enjoy being able to do other things during the day while it basically takes care of itself.

NcVBZpSh.jpg

5705t53h.jpg

Last edited:
Question. Did you cook this fat cap up or down? What is your thoughts on that? Just curious.

FYI, all the briskets I have done have been fat cap up.

Looks good!

FWIW: I tend to stick with SPOG (with an emphasis on the S&P) when doing brisket.

BTW: am impressed that people are finding brisket on sale. Checked prices at Costco last weekend: $7.99/pound for Select grade full packer. :shock:

Bruce

Back