Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven

You must be reading my mind Adams. I have been looking at these- the enamel ones- easier to clean. Other than price and name what’s the difference between Lodge and Le Creuset

You must be reading my mind Adams. I have been looking at these- the enamel ones- easier to clean. Other than price and name what’s the difference between Lodge and Le Creuset

About $200.00

Bride is out hitting discount retailers for an enamel DO in 3-3.5 quart. There are so many brands it's comical.
La Cruset and Staub are pricey but top shelf quality. Some of their stuff occasionally appears at Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Tuesday morning -- places like that. Lots of enamel online, she enjoys the hunt--in person

Last edited:
I have a large cast iron enamel DO I bought at Sam's 10-15 years ago. Through the years someone would say "Nice- La Cruset?!". Nope, I'd reply, " Member's Mark" :))

Most of the seasoned Lodge cast iron is made in USA.
All of the Le Creuset and Lodge enameled is made in China.
Lodge tends to be thicker, heavier and rougher finish.

I'd look at Field. They only have one size though, but it's on the smaller side at 4.5 quarts. https://fieldcompany.com/products/field-cast-iron-dutch-oven

Others that have cast iron dutch ovens:
Smithey
Finex
Borough Furnace

Stargazer, Lancaster and Butter Pat also do cast iron, but I don't think any of them make dutch ovens.

I'd look at Field. They only have one size though, but it's on the smaller side at 4.5 quarts. https://fieldcompany.com/products/field-cast-iron-dutch-oven

Smithey
Finex
Borough Furnace

Stargazer, Lancaster and Butter Pat also do cast iron, but I don't think any of them make dutch ovens.

La Creuset is made in France. https://www.lecreuset.com/about-le-...ith only,passions and earned customers' trust.

Smithey
Finex
Borough Furnace

My son
s scout troop used exclusively Lodge cast iron. On one camping trip, one of the leader brought a "Made in China" iron skillet that we tried to clean up and season. Putting it in boiling water and setting it on the fire, you would not beleive the amount of grease and particulates and goo that came out of that cast iron. No thanks for me, I'll stick with the American made stuff.

Had a non-enameled Lodge DO for a couple years before pitching it. Got a 4.5Q Le Creuset 20 years ago for $90. Much easier care than the Lodge. Use it primarily for cooking rice.

That 2qt looks nice. I have a 5qt that is a total workhorse. My poor old 8qt camp stove never gets used anymore but I cant get rid of it. Checking Amazon, I bought my 5qt in 2017 for $33.91. Dang inflation.

I got a 4.5 and a 7 qt set made by Tramontina that I'm very pleased with. Costco used to have for a real goid price but they don't have them anymore. I got themon amazon.View attachment 203835

I have these in the blueish color and love them. I wanted to buy a set for my brother in law, but haven't seen them for awhile. I was in there the other day and they have a 5 and 3 quart set if I remember right.

Funny but I've found cleaning seasoned cast-iron to be easier than enamel. The latter remains stained while the CI isn't meant to be 'deep' cleaned.
Seasoning the non-enameled DO just didn't work for me. Chili and stews probably didn't help with acid from tomatoes doing more to break it down than build it up. Not sure how to season a DO. Wonder if using it strictly for deep frying for a while would work.

Seasoning the non-enameled DO just didn't work for me. Chili and stews probably didn't help with acid from tomatoes doing more to break it down than build it up. Not sure how to season a DO. Wonder if using it strictly for deep frying for a while would work.
The 5qt I mentioned I've never seasoned it and have used it countless times for chili, beans, and stew. Once I'm done cooking I transfer everything to another container and I fill the DO with hot water and scrub it with a stiff nylon brush. Never have used soap. Once it dries I give it a spray of vegetable oil and back into the cupboard it goes. I've never had anything stick, not once.

I like Lodge, Love their products. Absolutely love the fact that their products are mostly made in the United States. Unfortunately the enameled cast iron that they make is all made in China.

- G

I had a lodge enameled ant it got stained and rough inside and I didn’t know why. Couldn’t clean it. I have a le creuset now and no such issue. But I’d never spend the money on le creuset. It’s absurdly expensive. I had reward points at work and it was the only thing I could use on the site. So I love it but not pot is worth $375

Back