Anybody remember Willingham's rubs and sauces

Robert

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
My wife made some chicken and dumplings last night and craved a rub I used to use on them in years past, Willingham's Cajun W'ham seasoning. I thought the seasoning had disappeared, but a quick search of the google's proved me wrong. They are still available (see link below) and order placed.

https://willinghams.com/

I first met Mr. Willingham at the 1996 American Royal where he had a booth sat up and was selling and autographing his new cookbook along with rubs and sauces. Being new to competition barbecue, I asked questions endlessly and he answered them in between sales. I ended up leaving with an autographed cook book and a lot of his cooking products. I still use some of the cooking tips from his cookbook. He was a truly remarkable man. Read the "Our History" link at the bottom of the page on the website.

For 16 Adams: Here is a link to his cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Willing...1689622354&sprefix=john+willin,aps,181&sr=8-3

No affiliation disclaimer. Just like the products and the history behind the man.

Thanks,

Robert

I am on the GBC (Georgia BBQ Championship) board of directors and Paul Holden is also on the board, he learned from and bought the Willinghams's name and rights and competes under the name. He is a great guy and keeps up the continued quality associated with the brand.

Robert, I remember John from back in the early days of competition BBQ. His team was one of the big dogs on the circuit. He was quite the man and quite the character too. He was friends with our cooking neighbors at the AR and back in 1991, our third year competing, my dad got to sit in a high stakes poker game with John. Dad said John was not only a good cook, but a formidable poker player too.

I need to find that book. Love me some Cajun wham. Always wanted to try one of his coolers.

Thanks for the blast from the past Robert.

My wife made some chicken and dumplings last night and craved a rub I used to use on them in years past, Willingham's Cajun W'ham seasoning. I thought the seasoning had disappeared, but a quick search of the google's proved me wrong. They are still available (see link below) and order placed.

https://willinghams.com/

I first met Mr. Willingham at the 1996 American Royal where he had a booth sat up and was selling and autographing his new cookbook along with rubs and sauces. Being new to competition barbecue, I asked questions endlessly and he answered them in between sales. I ended up leaving with an autographed cook book and a lot of his cooking products. I still use some of the cooking tips from his cookbook. He was a truly remarkable man. Read the "Our History" link at the bottom of the page on the website.

For 16 Adams: Here is a link to his cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Willing...1689622354&sprefix=john+willin,aps,181&sr=8-3

No affiliation disclaimer. Just like the products and the history behind the man.

Thanks,

Robert
John Willingham was a fine,fine person.I met him several times at his restaurant in Memphis.(Collierville)I stumbled upon him one day working on a pellet cooker with a friend of his.He explained the theory to me.I thought he was crazy.That was 40 years ago,,,,,Just sayin.Not saying he invented them but he was designing them 40 years ago.

Wow, coincidence, I just bought that book last month.

Tuffy Stone said that book had a large influence on him when he began cooking barbecue, so I found the book. I've been busy and have not dug into it yet.

I need to find that book. Love me some Cajun wham. Always wanted to try one of his coolers.

Thanks for the blast from the past Robert.

The link to the book is in my post above.

John Willingham was a fine,fine person.I met him several times at his restaurant in Memphis.(Collierville)I stumbled upon him one day working on a pellet cooker with a friend of his.He explained the theory to me.I thought he was crazy.That was 40 years ago,,,,,Just sayin.Not saying he invented them but he was designing them 40 years ago.

His W'ham Turbo pellet cooker was truly unique. Had a spinning carousel that the meat hung from and glass side walls.

Wow, coincidence, I just bought that book last month.

Tuffy Stone said that book had a large influence on him when he began cooking barbecue, so I found the book. I've been busy and have not dug into it yet.

I didn't say it very well above, but my conversation with him along with his book helped my team greatly in our next competition. Tips that I gleaned from him led to our very first 180 in brisket in just our 4th cook-off. The next time I saw him a told him I credited our success to him. He thanked me but said the success was all due to my determination to succeed and without that determination it would not have happened. Our paths crossed a few times over the years and he was always cordial to me. I feel lucky to have met him.

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:
Back