THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Lynching, I say a Public Lynching, this waiting sheot is killing me and I can't take it anymore!

Ah the hell with it I'm gonna go see how GORE made out on his paperwork today, maybe our in resident Guberment official help him with his celestial body of evidence

tumblr_ln0wpcVzKO1qdvnr3o1_500.gif

OK, here is the story. If you are squeamish, stop reading now! This is a story I am hoping to soon forget. I don't like thinking about, I really don't.

It all started on July 3 of this year. It was a really hot day and I was tasked with cooking a couple of tri-tips, some pork tenderloins, and a few racks of baby back ribs. I won't get into the details surrounding the cook because they are irrelevant. Just know that each stage of the cook required a very tight schedule. And, I had to have some of the meat ready to come off the smoker before I prepped others. Basically, I was demonstrating how to cook those meats using typical backyard grills and smokers. So, one piece of each meat was used to demonstrate the prep while the other pieces that were done were used to demonstrate the final product. I was using my UDS, Chargriller Outlaw and by Weber kettle. The Bubba Keg was sitting idle in the background as eye candy. Those are the circumstances that set in motion a series of events that would doom my poor Bubba Keg forever.

The week of July 7, I had to take a business trip to California. I was busy all the previous weekend prepping for the trip and the work that had to be accomplished. My Bubba Keg and my other cookers didn't cross my mind. I was focused on my assigned work tasks. I returned home Friday of that week and immediately went to work on finishing up reports and analyses that I went to California to gather information needed to prepare them. I have stayed busy on several projects since that week and on weekends; except for this past weekend. I had a whole day, Sunday, to cook and to entertain family. The events of July 3 were out of mind. I just didn't think about it. I was now focused on barbecuing a delicious pork butt. I was excited about it. I was looking forward to joking with my family telling them as they ate the delicious barbecue to "Put some Virginia in ya!" and "Enjoy some Old Dominion Tradition!" Yeah, it's corny, but we all have fun joking about it.

So, I get up early Sunday morning and prep the pork butt. I go outside and decide to barbecue the butt in my Bubba Keg. I chose it because 1.) It's small and doesn't require a lot of fuel, and 2.) it's a hands free cooker. Set it and forget it. I gather up some lump and my weed burner along with the striker to start the flame. I open up my Keg and think, "What in the world?" I was confused for a moment trying to remember just what was in it. Then, it hit me. Because of the tight schedule of the July 3 demonstration, I was in a hurry to clean up the work area after demonstrating how to prep the raw meat. I had precious few minutes to dispose of the meat scraps, clean and disinfect the work table and replace the cutting board with a clean on. So, I took a short cut. I wrapped the raw meat scraps in paper towels and stuck them in my keg with the thought that when the demo was over, I'd simply remove the scraps from the keg and dispose of them properly.

Well, one long demo led to another. Then, when I thought everything was complete (this was about 7pm) someone showed up with more baby back ribs asking if they were too late to have them barbecued while everything was cooking. Technically they were, but I agreed to barbecue them that evening and they could come back and pick them up when they were done. Well, what do you know but a violent thunderstorm came through. I rushed to get my popup out of harm’s way, gather up all of the paper towels, utensils, foil, table cloths, etc. in an attempt to prevent them from being blown away by the high winds. I did a pretty good job of saving everything and was fairly proud of myself. The ribs were barbecuing in my UDS and it held temps like a champ, so no problem there. Later, the ribs came off the UDS and were perfect in spite of the storm. Life was good. My friend picked up his ribs and I went inside to clean up and get ready for bed. I never thought about the raw meat scraps that I left in the keg.

OK, Sunday morning, I open up the keg and was confused momentarily. "What the heck is in the smoker? Oh, wait, is that...? Oh, crap, it is!" I suddenly had a memory recovery and realized that raw meat has been in my keg for a couple of weeks in the July sun. "It's OK, I told myself. There is nothing enough heat can't fix." So, I proceeded to clean out the keg. I noticed some mold had started growing in it. "That's OK. I've dealt with mold in a smoker before. No big deal." I thought. So, as I removed the scraps of meat that were wrapped in paper towels I started to notice an odor. "Oh, no, that's not good." I thought but continued on. The last scrap was down on the diffuser. It looked innocent enough. It's just a scrap of paper towel, I thought, so I reached in with my uncovered had to retrieve it. My fingers went through the "paper towel" as though it were thin jelly. As I looked on in horror, I noticed that what I thought was a scrap of paper towel was actually a rancid hunk of pork fat squirming with maggots.

It was at this point that I developed an extreme case of nausea, and, well, I won't go into the rest. I ran into the house as fast I could, washed my hands over and over and over again then flushed them hydrogen peroxide, rinsed them and flushed them again with rubbing alcohol. What a horrible experience. I went back outside and looked at my keg. By this time the stench was really rising from it. It was at that moment I realized that Bubba Keg was just too far gone to save.

At first, I denied it. I thought, "He can be saved! Don't be such a wimp!" But, the odor coming from inside and those maggots in my fingers surrounded by that slimy meat made me face the truth. Then, I got really angry at myself. "How could I neglect my Keg like that? You idiot!" I told myself. I am always so careful to take good care of my smokers, but in this case, I dropped the ball.

Then, I started bargaining. Perhaps I could try to burn it out and see what happens. That might work. But, that stench and the horrible memory of that rancid, maggot infested meat turned my stomach. No, I won't even try.

Then, I was depressed. I lost one of my very best cookers! Worst of all, it was because of my neglect that caused it!

So, I proceeded to prep my UDS to cook the pork butt. It did a great job barbecuing the butt and it came out delicious. Later that night, I realized that my beloved Keg was gone forever. But, all wasn't lost as I could still salvage some parts from it to be used on another UDS.

That's the story of how I lost my Bubba Keg. There are aspects of that story that I soon hope to forget because, honestly, some of it turns my stomach, literally.

Back