In Memoriam: R.I.P. Bubba Keg, You Will be Missed!

Bubba has had a long, happy, and productive life. He is resting comfortably now until the end comes. He is ready for this and, sadly, so am I.

As a fellow Bubba Keg owner, I can promise you that if you have EVER closed it up after cooking on it without cleaning it and then not used it for a long stretch, then I can PROMISE that it had maggots before and you never knew it. The flies get in there and lay eggs in any uncleaned cooker. The maggots eat until they either turn into flies and leave, or they run out of food and die.

The good Lord put flies and maggots here for a purpose. They were serving that very purpose. Heck some cultures have been known to use them to clean infected wounds.

Now as far as cleanup goes? Just disassemble it and blast it out with a weed torch, then re assemble and dump in a couple lit chimneys of lump for good measure. The temp will get close to 1000 degrees and anything organic will be reduced to carbon. The same thing that you and I are made of.

Bo....I told my Bubba this story and he says that you MUST save his brother!

No doubt, but this is the first time I ever neglected to clean my Keg. However, in my defense, I didn't cook on it that day so I wasn't really thinking about it and the storm and the upcoming work I had to do disrupted my routine. It's regrettable, but true.

I have to ask.

What would happen if this was your Jambo we were talking about?

That horror crossed my mind and I would have made the same decision. The Jambo would have been even worse because 1.) it is a much more expensive cooker and 2.) it is even harder to get a lot of heat in the bottom of the cooking chamber.

If it were my Jambo, I would do the same thing but only would be robed in sackcloth and ashes while my wife beat on me with a rubber hose.

Seriously, the Bubba Keg incident is that bad. It's just too disgusting to move on from. I can't and I won't.

Some people won't even cook fish in their smokers because of the residue it leaves and taints the flavor of other foods cooked in it. I shutter to think what maggot infested rotten flesh smell will leave behind.

Well since you are saying that you would do the same with the Jambo, then it must really be that big of a mental hurdle. I still say that a weed burner turned up full blast will completely remove any trace that the maggots were ever there(if it will take epoxy out of a drum, then some maggot residue doesn't stand a chance), but I can accept if its just too much for you to get past.

That horror crossed my mind and I would have made the same decision. The Jambo would have been even worse because 1.) it is a much more expensive cooker and 2.) it is even harder to get a lot of heat in the bottom of the cooking chamber.

If it were my Jambo, I would do the same thing but only would be robed in sackcloth and ashes while my wife beat on me with a rubber hose.

Seriously, the Bubba Keg incident is that bad. It's just too disgusting to move on from. I can't and I won't.

Some people won't even cook fish in their smokers because of the residue it leaves and taints the flavor of other foods cooked in it. I shutter to think what maggot infested rotten flesh smell will leave behind.

People who don't want to cook fish in their smokers don't want to be bothered with the trouble of sanitizing the smoker / deep cleaning it. That's a completely different situation. I've never smoked fish in my smoker and never will. BUT, if I went away for a weekend and came home to find that my brother had borrowed my smoker and done some fish, rest assured I would bust out the bleach and clean the thing and throwing it out would never cross my mind.

As for the maggot smell, as many have stated, it's rather easy to be rid of it. Growing up in the south, we always ended up with maggots in our garbage cans and yes, it smelled horribly bad. It's a simple thing to take care of though, just pour a bottle of bleach into a pump sprayer and completely coat all surfaces. Afterwards, if you want, take the extra step of dusting all surfaces with baking soda.

Problem solved.

BTW, I'm completely serious about my willingness to buy Bubba from you if you are absolutely resigned to retiring it. That or put a post up in the "for sale" section here, c/p the account of what happened, and sell it to some other member.

I could see if it were an egg w/porous ceramic that would absorb the smell ut metal is nonporous can be sanitized w/ bleach & heat.

Back