Favorite Poverty No/Low Meat Meal

After making up a batch of homemade salsa roja for tacos, the leftover salsa roja gets used in homemade bean and cheese burritos with some chopped onion and cilantro inside as well. A much more nutritious and tasty version of Taco Bell's pre-digested version.

Have an uncle that I don't see very often. Was a chef at a hotel in Seattle and cooked for Pres Clinton. He told us one of his favorite things to eat is a peanut butter, strawberry jam, and dill pickle sandwich. Anyone else ever had this? Wasn't that bad actually. Didn't eat it open faced.

A979vGql.jpg

Sack of potatoes and any packet sauce I could fill my pockets with got me through a semester or two, supplemented by neighborhood fruit trees.

Have an uncle that I don't see very often. Was a chef at a hotel in Seattle and cooked for Pres Clinton. He told us one of his favorite things to eat is a peanut butter, strawberry jam, and dill pickle sandwich. Anyone else ever had this? Wasn't that bad actually. Didn't eat it open faced.

I eat PB, pickles and cheese. Never tried it with jam too.

Buttered noodles is still one of my favorites.
Mine too!, but I shouldn't have noodles anymore. Try making it with bacon grease instead of butter.

One of The Brides favorite meals when I was working nights was a grilled cheese on Texas Toast floating in a bowl of tomato soup.
If mom made grilled cheese sandwiches there was a bowl of tomato soup to go with it. Don't eat it often these days, but some days you need that nostalgia.

If you have a fresh tomato, a potted meat sandwich with mayo on white bread brings back some warm and fuzzy memories from childhood. :icon_smile_tongue:

A lot of these mentions don't translate to "Poverty" anymore.

True!

Ham n beans, fried tatoes, onions and cornbread are good eats! :grin:

Egg sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, a hot buttered tortilla, ramen noodles...
I do fairly well feeding myself without going to the store. The garden is producing and I have meat on hand and on the hoof. :laugh:

Used to be able to buy a whole Ox Tail for a dollar. Now it's $25 a kilo. No joke.

When we lived near the coast we could buy salmon after they had been filleted for 1$ a piece. Scraping the flesh from the bones we’d get about 1 lb from 2. We had an excellent salmon burger recipe, and using these was far easier than peeling the skin off and dicing a fillet.

Back