Border Wars- Invention of the Frito Pie

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Like most things culinary they are claimed by many different geographic regions. Utah Fry and Mississippi Comeback sauce another example. Frito Pie is no different. But it does give an example of a chili recipe which are always cool to peruse. I do like the different textures of beef used in this article.

Santa Fe Style Frito Pie

When I originally came up with this recipe I had been nursing a toothache at the time (read: punching myself in the face and popping handfuls of painkillers). Anyway, between punches & pills I had been watching videos about the town I grew-up in, Santa Fe, New Mexico. One of the videos I stumbled upon was about the former Woolworth’s where I had bought among other things my first Hot Wheel’s cars, Super Balls and Zozobra dolls (Once a year folks from Santa Fe have a festival to burn a gigantic effigy of “Old Man Gloom” know as Zozobra. He is filled with notes of memories/pains/regrets, etc. that people want to let go of from the previous year). Come to find out the store which is now called Five & Dime, thanks to Anthony Bourdain, is now world famous for something I never thought actually existed other than hearing my dad mention it...“Frito Pie” (I always thought it was a phrase, not a food). Five & Dime’s Frito Pie was invented by Teresa Hernandez who worked for Woolworth’s back in the early 60’s when I lived there. Bourdain slammed her creation in the episode as being canned Hormel chili (which it isn’t) and neon cheese but later publicly apologized and admitted it was “shockingly tasty.” The recipe is seemingly a closely guarded secret but having grown-up there I’m pretty sure my recipe isn’t too far off the flavor mark. Also, the store probably only uses hamburger where I add stew meat to the mix as well. As to the name “Frito Pie,” it really is a pie sort of thing as the Fritos somehow magically transform into a crumbly piecrust-like texture which absolutely makes the dish. Here’s my recipe:
Ingredients:
Chili
- 1 lbs. hamburger
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1” pieces
- 3 to 4 Tbsps. New Mexico chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. California chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika (smoked if available)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili de arbol powder (if unavailable use 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder instead)
- 2 tsps. cumin powder
- 2 tsps. garlic powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsps. onion powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsps. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsps. chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon powder
- @ 5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- water for flour (@ 1/2 cup)*
- (optional) 29 oz. cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed - or - 3 1/2 cups homemade, drained & rinsed
* New Mexicans generally use a flour/water slurry verses corn masa as a thickener. If you wish you may use dried corn flour masa such as Maseca brand added directly to the pot although it will not be as neutral, thick or smooth as the slurry.
Fritos and Toppings
- Fritos (Original only!)
- finely shredded cheese (Mexican blend preferred)
- diced onions
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- sunny-side-up fried egg
Preparation:
In a Dutch oven or large stockpot add the hamburger and the @ 5 cups of water. Completely break apart the hamburger into a slurry with your hands (wear rubber or latex gloves). Now add stew meat and all other ingredients down to and including the “salt to taste” in the list above (flour and optional beans will be added later). Stir to incorporate and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/medium-low cover and let simmer for 1-hour stirring occasionally. After the first hour test the stew meat for tenderness (it will still be somewhat tough) and check chili for seasoning and add as needed (add additional hot water if you deem necessary as well). Cover again with lid slightly ajar this time and let simmer for an additional 30 to 45-minutes until stew meat is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
When stew meat is tender, mash stew meat slightly with a potato masher or a fork so some of it breaks into shreds. At this point, add the optional drained & rinsed pinto beans if using, stir gently and fully cover as you make the slurry.
To make the slurry add the 1/2 cup flour along with about 1/2 cup tap water into a mixing bowl and using a whisk beat until a thick smooth slurry is made. Stir this slurry into the chili stirring constantly to incorporate. If any dry flour is still remaining in the bowl add a small amount of additional water and stir to dissolve and add to the chili. Once all the slurry is incorporated into the chili cover completely again and simmer over medium-low heat for 15-minutes, stirring often so flour does not stick to bottom. After the 15-minutes your chili is done. Remove pot from heat and let stand covered for 10 to 15-minutes.
Serve chili over original Fritos in a bowl or in a Fritos bag slit open on the side, adding finely shredded cheese and onions being the most common way of eating it. I also recommend using a small plastic spoon to eat it with. You may add a bit of shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes as well. This would also be good with a sunny-side-up egg on top. Enjoy!

Waiting for Bill-Chicago to show up and enlighten us.

The evidence here is overwhelming Charles.

Do an advanced search for my name and Frito Pie when I totally blow the cover off the Texas conspiracy.

Here is one of just hundreds of factual references:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=280318

I like the result that came back saying Texas was still Mexico when Illinois invented the Frito Pie.

Maybe a New Mexico come late to the party invention. To give away my age, I was eating Frito chili pie in elementary school in the mid 50's.
And since Fritos chips were invented waaay back in the 1930's, I would say that this concoction was certainly a Texas invention

Like most things culinary they are claimed by many different geographic regions. Utah Fry and Mississippi Comeback sauce another example. Frito Pie is no different. But it does give an example of a chili recipe which are always cool to peruse. I do like the different textures of beef used in this article.

Santa Fe Style Frito Pie

When I originally came up with this recipe I had been nursing a toothache at the time (read: punching myself in the face and popping handfuls of painkillers). Anyway, between punches & pills I had been watching videos about the town I grew-up in, Santa Fe, New Mexico. One of the videos I stumbled upon was about the former Woolworth’s where I had bought among other things my first Hot Wheel’s cars, Super Balls and Zozobra dolls (Once a year folks from Santa Fe have a festival to burn a gigantic effigy of “Old Man Gloom” know as Zozobra. He is filled with notes of memories/pains/regrets, etc. that people want to let go of from the previous year). Come to find out the store which is now called Five & Dime, thanks to Anthony Bourdain, is now world famous for something I never thought actually existed other than hearing my dad mention it...“Frito Pie” (I always thought it was a phrase, not a food). Five & Dime’s Frito Pie was invented by Teresa Hernandez who worked for Woolworth’s back in the early 60’s when I lived there. Bourdain slammed her creation in the episode as being canned Hormel chili (which it isn’t) and neon cheese but later publicly apologized and admitted it was “shockingly tasty.” The recipe is seemingly a closely guarded secret but having grown-up there I’m pretty sure my recipe isn’t too far off the flavor mark. Also, the store probably only uses hamburger where I add stew meat to the mix as well. As to the name “Frito Pie,” it really is a pie sort of thing as the Fritos somehow magically transform into a crumbly piecrust-like texture which absolutely makes the dish. Here’s my recipe:
Ingredients:
Chili
- 1 lbs. hamburger
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1” pieces
- 3 to 4 Tbsps. New Mexico chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. California chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika (smoked if available)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili de arbol powder (if unavailable use 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder instead)
- 2 tsps. cumin powder
- 2 tsps. garlic powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsps. onion powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsps. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsps. chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon powder
- @ 5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- water for flour (@ 1/2 cup)*
- (optional) 29 oz. cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed - or - 3 1/2 cups homemade, drained & rinsed
* New Mexicans generally use a flour/water slurry verses corn masa as a thickener. If you wish you may use dried corn flour masa such as Maseca brand added directly to the pot although it will not be as neutral, thick or smooth as the slurry.
Fritos and Toppings
- Fritos (Original only!)
- finely shredded cheese (Mexican blend preferred)
- diced onions
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- sunny-side-up fried egg
Preparation:
In a Dutch oven or large stockpot add the hamburger and the @ 5 cups of water. Completely break apart the hamburger into a slurry with your hands (wear rubber or latex gloves). Now add stew meat and all other ingredients down to and including the “salt to taste” in the list above (flour and optional beans will be added later). Stir to incorporate and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/medium-low cover and let simmer for 1-hour stirring occasionally. After the first hour test the stew meat for tenderness (it will still be somewhat tough) and check chili for seasoning and add as needed (add additional hot water if you deem necessary as well). Cover again with lid slightly ajar this time and let simmer for an additional 30 to 45-minutes until stew meat is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
When stew meat is tender, mash stew meat slightly with a potato masher or a fork so some of it breaks into shreds. At this point, add the optional drained & rinsed pinto beans if using, stir gently and fully cover as you make the slurry.
To make the slurry add the 1/2 cup flour along with about 1/2 cup tap water into a mixing bowl and using a whisk beat until a thick smooth slurry is made. Stir this slurry into the chili stirring constantly to incorporate. If any dry flour is still remaining in the bowl add a small amount of additional water and stir to dissolve and add to the chili. Once all the slurry is incorporated into the chili cover completely again and simmer over medium-low heat for 15-minutes, stirring often so flour does not stick to bottom. After the 15-minutes your chili is done. Remove pot from heat and let stand covered for 10 to 15-minutes.
Serve chili over original Fritos in a bowl or in a Fritos bag slit open on the side, adding finely shredded cheese and onions being the most common way of eating it. I also recommend using a small plastic spoon to eat it with. You may add a bit of shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes as well. This would also be good with a sunny-side-up egg on top. Enjoy!
That's a lot of ingredients but far more than the simple: And I know this will not be popular,. Wolf Brand chili and Fritos. maybe throw in a few Oscar Meyers just for fun. Grand kids like it! Good stuff!.

My favorite memories of the Frito pie are from Friday night high school football games in west Texas in the early 70s. After doing our half-time show (I played trumpet), my band director would let us have third quarter off to go get something at the concession stand before regrouping fourth quarter to play pep music in the stands. My snack of choice was a Frito pie and a Dr Pepper.

I’m throwing the red flag!!!

A Frito chili pie is as mentioned, Fritos, then chili, then finely grated cheese followed by “nearly” minced white onion…

Ya want a REAL Frito chili pie? Construct the aforementioned then ADD Griffins mustard, THEN sweet pickle relish!

You’ll thank me later…

Back