Favorite Poverty No/Low Meat Meal

Buttered noodles is still one of my favorites.

Pretty sure no one in my school had a peanut allergy, as PBJ was a huge staple.

Grilled cheese.- my mom and dad ran a bar & grill for a couple years and a Texas toast grill cheese on an old commercial flat top is awesome.

Buttered noodles is still one of my favorites.

Pretty sure no one in my school had a peanut allergy, as PBJ was a huge staple.

Grilled cheese.- my mom and dad ran a bar & grill for a couple years and a Texas toast grill cheese on an old commercial flat top is awesome.

One of The Brides favorite meals when I was working nights was a grilled cheese on Texas Toast floating in a bowl of tomato soup.

One of The Brides favorite meals when I was working nights was a grilled cheese on Texas Toast floating in a bowl of tomato soup.

Don't know why this is, but tomato soup seems to be a required item with toasted cheese.

I've been very fortunate in life. There have been times when I was poor (and whatever is beyond poor), but those times were always limited and self inflicted. I chose to go spend money to go to school.

The times I've been real low on funds have also been the times that I've been super busy. That really limits the food options...not a lot of time to shop and almost no time to cook/clean.

If flat broke, just ramen. At one point during college, I found a deal on ramen and grabbed all 47 chicken flavor packs that were in the store. Not only wiped out the stores inventory, I also wiped out my cash. But, that one purchase kept me fed for quite a while.

If just regular broke, would add to the ramen (e.g., drop in some whisked egg to the boiling soup mix, some frozen veg).

Would sometimes spring for boxes of mac n cheese. If there was any salsa in the fridge, would add that to the mac n cheese to mix things up.

I was recently reminiscing with a college friend. We both worked at the same hospital while in school. We'd volunteer to work most holidays, not because they offered more $/hour (that wasn't an option). Thomas Jefferson Hospital would hand out a $5 meal voucher for those that worked the holiday (10 hour shift). That was enough $ to grab a large cheese fries from the cafeteria. That one item (in all it's cheesey, salty, starchy, gooey, jalapeno-ey goodness!) would keep you full for the day.

Bruce

It just so happens....
P-20230706-132208.jpg

Canned boneless salmon sautéed in bacon grease, then eggs dropped in and cooked till it was scrambled eggs and salmon. Served over white rice

the boneless label on canned salmon back in the 80s was fake news or mom lied.lol
Still tasty though

Got through college often with blue box Mac and cheese, sautéed onion and whatever lil smokies or sausage was in the discount bid. I still whip that up, but now with my smoked sausage.

Pinto beans drained and smashed, butter two pieces of white bread, add beans, salt, pepper, and a slice of raw onion.
Would keep the 'ol man gassed up all through his shift!
Ed

Canned boneless salmon sautéed in bacon grease, then eggs dropped in and cooked till it was scrambled eggs and salmon. Served over white rice

the boneless label on canned salmon back in the 80s was fake news or mom lied.lol
Still tasty though ��

Family of six we used to fight over those little tubes of crunchy bone

Growing up my dad made SOS all the time. He got it honest in the Army. I thought that was a myth but he said it was a regular meal for GI's. Dad is 86 now and still makes SOS a couple times a month. I love the stuff. On toast is ideal but not required. A heaping bowl with a dash or two of Crystal works just fine.

Back in my “Starving Student” days, we’d wait for the Generic Ramen noodle packs to go on sale (10 cents each I believe), buy onion and Zucchini. Chop and fry the onion and zucchini in a dab of butter or oil, then add to the cooked ramen. A dash of soy on top. Lunch or Dinner many times a week.

Back