Burnt Ends a "Butt" hurt discussion

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I'm from the school where burnt ends are made from brisket point. BE,s don't come from pork belly, or any pork, chuck roast or any other cut of beef, not sheep nor fowl nor reptile. Brisket Point. However I respect the fact not everyone nor anyone agrees with me on this. Square meat does not a burnt end make. ButtHurt.

I'm not destitute by any means. However I'm somewhat frugal with my meat dollars. Local store has CSR's $1.47#. If I cut them into squares, for "ButtHurt Burnt Ends" would you smoke then cut or cut then smoke?

ButtHurt Burnt Ends. Made that name up on my bike ride just now.
All opinions are valid and appreciated.

16Adams,
Destitute

I have not done this .......yet but would expect to cook whole, then cube and cook again?

Brisket is almost $5 a pound so I am butthurt!

I buy Country Style Ribs ("CSR") when on sale and I don't feel like spending the time needed to smoke a Pork Butt. I will smoke them a while, then put in a pan with sauce, cover and finish. Never thought to bone them first and cut smaller, but may give it a try as that would increase the surface area exposed to the smoke before its time for "Everyone into the Pool".
Let us know how they turn out.

Cheap enough. Though in the past these were on sale around a buck per pound.
Need to smoke something

I've done it both ways with pork belly and prefer to cut them into cubes before hand for the added bark. Excellent either way though, so just depends how crusty you're feeling at the time

cut up in cubes, rub, smoke, sauce, cook more...
I would try it following Malcolm Reed's pork belly burnt end recipe as a general guide.
https://howtobbqright.com/tag/pork-belly-burnt-ends-recipe/

May have to give this a try myself if I can find some CSRs at a decent price. Last ones I saw were $2.69 lb.

A Pork Butt, boned and cubed, would give just about the same result......Just a lot more finished product if you start with a 9-10# Butt. Often see them on sale for between $1.50-2.00# in my area.

So tripped out to United Amigos and found an under $10 package of CSR's. They awfully boney. Experiment may have to wait on CSR burnt ends. However they had whole ribeye for 4,97#. Found the smallest one in bin and still got 9@1.5" ribeye and a couple end pieces for $50. Now that bin was crowded. 3-4 folks tossing and looking. I grabbed smallest whole ribeye and went to butcher and he cut steaks for free. When he finished four people were behind me with whole ribeye to be custom cut.

Sounds like a great place to shop. Most stores around where I live wouldn't have done that for someone.

Sounds like a great place to shop. Most stores around where I live wouldn't have done that for someone.

I was surprised, I've not bought a whole ribeye in a while but last time seems like it was a buck per pound. It was a different store.

How do you feel about "hot dog burnt ends"? I hear that's a thing now.

In this PC world, what's next? Tofu burnt ends???

It's just two steps beyond butt hurt...Be careful.

How do you feel about "hot dog burnt ends"? I hear that's a thing now.

In this PC world, what's next? Tofu burnt ends???

It's just two steps beyond butt hurt...Be careful.

Flashback To My Youth
Mom used to buy these red rocket weiners. They were loose in like a bread sack. Slice them up and fry in our one cast iron skillet, Wagner. After a good "bark" was formed she'd go one of two ways. One would be to simmer in bbq sauce and serve with white bread the other would be to top with sour kraut and serve with cornbread or hoe cakes. Dad loved things burnt. Sometimes she'd make pigs in blankets using cheap biscuits. I had a friend years ago bring me a sack of Red rocket Weiners from Taylor Texas. Taylor Weiners. Quite different from Oscar or Nathan

A couple of times I've cubed CSR's, smoked 'em then sauced 'em. Come out real tasty. I call them pig candy.

At my house if I'm serving brisket burnt ends it's the end cuts of the point and the end cut of the flat cubed. I've tried the Kansas City style and i don't like them better than a slice of brisket point.

The pork belly ones are ok but if i was choosing between those or a pork steak I'm going pork steak. Trying to make bacon burnt ends is something i want to try at least once.

The thing I'm seeing lately that is funny to me is people talking about cooking things "brisket style", i guess i missed where brisket is a cooking method and not a muscle.

At the end of the day how anyone likes to cook or enjoy their barbecue makes no difference to me. It just interesting to see how different people are cooking things.

Back