First attempt cooking pork belly

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all, Got a call today from a friend wanting me to cook pork belly "burnt ends." (And yes I hate that descriptor as they really are not true burnt ends that are cut from beef brisket.)

I have never attempted this cooking technique for cooking pork belly and was looking for advice, recipes and cooking techniques. I thought I would ask here first instead of looking through Google's answers and reading through the most popular replies to cull out information that maybe incorrect. Any help, comments and even insults are most appreciated.

Lager,

Juggy

Never done it, but just about every youtube bbq provider has. If there is a youtube channel you like/trust, I would refer you to that.
Or just go with your instincts and msu it.

Bruce, I am not a fan of youtube's self proclaimed experts, but I will check it out. Thanks!

BTW, I do not know much about some of these abbreviations used in texting and social media. I am not familiar with the term, MSU. What does Missouri State University have to do with this?

Bruce, I am not a fan of youtube's self proclaimed experts, but I will check it out. Thanks!

BTW, I do not know much about some of these abbreviations used in texting and social media. I am not familiar with the term, MSU. What does Missouri State University have to do with this?

In this context, MSU stands for Make Stuff Up, or in other words don’t follow a recipe and do what feels right.

I get the youtube reluctance, a lot of blowhards out there, but if your bullch1t meter is operational there is some pretty instructive stuff available.

Ya, msu "make stuff up", but if Missouri State U has a culinary curriculum, well there you go.

Bruce and Chad, I figured MSU stood for Make Stuff Up. I was making fun of my internet ignorance of acronyms. MSU to my knowledge does not have a culinary program, but in the KC area on the Kansas side, Johnson County Community College does. It is nationally recognized for it excellent program.

Josh, thank you for your information and will look it up. I have a couple of weeks before I take my initial voyage into cooking pork belly cubes.

I watched the Malcom Reed video before my first time to get the general idea.... but scaled back on the butter, brown sugar and honey for the 'pan step', and reduced the sauce amount during the 'glazed' step. Just a visual kind of thing because I used leftover pork belly from making some bacon.

oZ7mBWJ.jpg

Hey Juggy,
I've done pork belly burnt ends a few times (no excuses here calling them that, that's what they are...) , I haven't seen anything on YouTube from the "Pros" so Im not sure how my method stacks up but this is what I do...

- trim & cube pork belly 2-3" cubes
- I season pretty liberally right before throwing them on the smoker vs overnight (I like a well seasoned bark against I guess what would be a fresher interior vs something that's salty right through due the the long salting time)
- Lay them out on your grates and make sure they're not touching
- I hit them with another fresh dusting of rub at this point for appearance
- Smoke them at 225 til they reach 160
- Take them off and toss them in sauce of your liking then throw them in a covered foil pan with a little extra sauce + butter + honey.
- Place pans back on the smoker at 250ish til they hit the 200 mark... pull them off and they're ready to go...

Hope that at least gives you a starting point.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone who commented with tips and advice on my virgin voyage with cubed pork belly. My buddy has been calling all over the county and some of the surrounding ones as well. Prices range from $6.99lb to $3.19lb. Am I wrong in assuming $3.19 is a good price? I know I cannot find sliced bacon for that price.

And Phrasty, I only watched the one video linked here and it is pretty much the same as your recipe. Thanks!

I prefer pork belly burnt ends as they are after the first cook and before panning with butter, honey, sauce, etc…and cooking again. They have a bit more chew and crunchy texture and retains the savory pork flavor. I typically skip the panning/braising stage cuz that’s the way I like my pork belly burnt ends. Enjoy the cook and hope your friend likes them however you decide.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 60
was trying to post a photo but looks like I have to relearn all of this again :shock: lol

Essentially its hard to mess them up, Pork belly is so forgiving I know they'll come out amazing!

Cheers

This is something I may have to cook AFTER my bi-annual physical and bloodwork tests. I imagine my cholesterol levels might be influenced by this. My buddy did buy two twelve pound slabs of belly for $3.19 per pound. He bought these before I got a return call from the commissary at Whiteman AFB. Their current price is $1.94 per pound!

Back