Smoked pork-belly "burnt-ends" MAKE AHEAD???

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey Brethren,

I know, chunks of smoked pork bell, braised then glazed & caramelized sauce is not really "burn-ends". That being said, I'm cooking the BBQ for an end of the school year team building picnic for my school district department.

I was considering a slab of Duroc from a local boutique marked for $9.89 a lb, or Berkshire wet aged Berkshire for $7.89 a lb from wildfire Foods. I just scored a 12lb commodity pork belly for $4.00 a lb at my local Winco market. In my opinion, it looks pretty good. See pics below.

Heres my plan:

1. I'm going to cube it, slather and rub it then refrigerate over night.
2. Then smoke tomorrow at 275 in my KBQ stick burner w/ peach splits until it just probes tender.
3. Then rest, cool, vacuum pack and freeze in my deep freezer.
4. Then in two weeks, thaw, braise in sauce covered to warm.
5. Then uncover and carmalize & serve.

Sound rione specific question. Since after I thaw the smoked chunks I'm going to braise and caramelize them, do I need to do them to fully probe tender, e.g. 200 degrees?
JD

Attachments

• IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 98
Here it is cubed, slathered & rubbed.
In the fridge overnight.
Tomorrow onto the smoker.
JD

I have made a day before, several times. And I either go that route, or even go through the braising so that next day it's just warm/caramelize.

I’m worried I may have gone overboard on the rub.
im guessing & hopefully much of it will run off as fat renders.
Plus, assuming some will get diluted during the braiseing phase.
JD

I’m worried I may have gone overboard on the rub.
im guessing & hopefully much of it will run off as fat renders.
Plus, assuming some will get diluted during the braiseing phase.
JD
Pretty easy to go overboard using commercial rubs. Not because of the rub seasonings but cause of all the salt in most of them. Prefer making/applying my own rubs then applying sea salt at my discretion.

Good luck!

Here's the finished product. I expected a 2 hour cook. I opened the KBQ an hour in to check if they needed to be spritzed and they were done. That thing not only cooks fast but is a color and bark making' machine. I'm sure its due to the convection. I ate the little crispy ones. Yum!
So glad I did these as opposed to pulled pork.
Thanks!
JD

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 47
Back