Burnt Ends Are A Specific cut of Beef

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Yup, it's all in the name. That crispy/chewy/fatty/barky meat that flakes off the end is awesome. Don't need to be adding a ton of sugar and cooking it again, in my opinion.

@16Adams - Thanks for posting this. What a great article. I have had the burnt ends at Arthur Bryant's and they were fantastic.

Here is one of my attempts to recreate them:
picture.php

I thought this was interesting as well:
At Arthur Bryant’s, barely trimmed whole brisket is smoked over hickory and oak for approximately 12 hours, chilled in a walk-in cooler for two days and then returned to the smoker for another six hours. Rauschelbach says this cooking process results in maximum tenderness.

We've had more than a few posts discussing the aggressive brisket trimming by the YouTubers. Personally, I think they overdo it. It appears that the crew at Bryant's deems it unnecessary as well.

I've only had burnt ends once, from a local BBQ restaurant. They were in fact beef.. other than that I couldn't say from where. They were horrible. Tough, dry, chewy. Thought I'd need a Heimlich. Burnt indeed. Haven't ordered them since.

Then again, this ain't Kansas City.

Great Article Adams. Thanks. Love Burnt Ends. Only ones I have had are from Brisket Point and the best ones were beefy Flavor from Comps. Would not mine trying pork belly sometimes but the Brisket if done right is awesome

From the article:

Worgul takes a hard line against using anything but beef for burnt ends. “Burnt ends are brisket and that’s it. There’s no such thing as pork burnt ends. … They’re not just cut up pieces of meat – burnt ends are a very specific thing.”

So there. Word.

Any Cut with a decent amount of intermuscular fat will produce great burnt ends. I will go as far as saying there are way better cuts for burnt ends then the flat on a brisket. I believe this was a chuck tender roast. Turned out some of the best burnt ends ive made.

I love eating pork burnt ends and beef bacon at the same time :crazy:

A local processor occasionally has beef belly and uncured beef "bacon". How did you season and cook? I was thinking of getting beef "bacon" seasoning, making twizzlers and smoking

Any Cut with a decent amount of intermuscular fat will produce great burnt ends. I will go as far as saying there are way better cuts for burnt ends then the flat on a brisket. I believe this was a chuck tender roast. Turned out some of the best burnt ends ive made.

Looks Grand, but we call that steak bites here.

I haven't been to Kansas city yet to have them there but someday. If you are a guest at my house if i serve a burnt end it's a cube from the ends cuts of the fatty half of a brisket with no sauce.

A local processor occasionally has beef belly and uncured beef "bacon". How did you season and cook? I was thinking of getting beef "bacon" seasoning, making twizzlers and smoking

I was trying to be a smart arse. Bacon doesn't come from cows. :evil:

Back