Sitting here sipping my morning coffee ☕😊

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
And I began to ponder. An often heard phrase is "BBQ sauce is just a way of covering up, or for bad barbecue. Where'd that saying begin. References please. I found myself in the condiment aisle at The Walmarts. The selection was humongous for BBQ Sauce, marinades etc. Ceiling to floor and 15 yards wide. Someone buying the stuff and there must be truck loads of bad BBQ being covered.

So if BBQ sauce covers bad BBQ does green chile gravy cover up bad chicken fried steak? Does Giblets Gravy cover bad dressing? Does catsup cover up bad french fries.

I used to frequent a restaurant that had opened face roast beef sandwich covered in brown gravy. The identical open faced sandwich with gravy on bottom of plate was called a hot steak sandwich.

I seldom eat bbq sauce, but when I do I'm not covering anything up. I just want it. Sometimes smokey sweet BBQ gravy hits right

Back to my coffee

Last edited:
IMO, a good bbq sauce simply adds an additional layer of flavor to good or bad bbq. Even with top notch bbq, I enjoy dipping every 2nd or 3rd bite into sauce just to mix up the eating experience. I think those that claim using sauce = bad bbq, are the same that claim you can only get good bbq from a stickburner… lol.

BTW, does that coffee you’re sipping have creamer or sugar added? Just curious, as it must be horrible coffee if it does ;-)

IMO, a good bbq sauce simply adds an additional layer of flavor to good or bad bbq. Even with top notch bbq, I enjoy dipping every 2nd or 3rd bite into sauce just to mix up the eating experience. I think those that claim using sauce = bad bbq, are the same that claim you can only get good bbq from a stickburner… lol.

BTW, does that coffee you’re sipping have creamer or sugar added? Just curious, as it must be horrible coffee if it does ;-)

A light splash of organic maple syrup is what I use. Not always but sometimes. The Brides looks like melted ice cream. Whipped foam creamer, a powder a splash of maple syrup and who knows what else. I accidentally took a drink of hers one time and I didn't recognize it as coffee

Last edited:
A light splash of organic maple syrup is what I use. Not always but sometimes. The Brides looks like melted ice cream. Whipped foam creamer, a powder a splash of maple syrup and lied knows what else. I accidentally took a drink of hers one time and I didn't recognize it as coffee

I’ve done the same… but what made it even worse is it wasn’t my brides coffee but a complete stranger. The disposable cup/lid even had lipstick on it. Should’ve noticed before taking a sip. Nothing like drinking a cup of creamer with a shot of coffee, topped with a strangers lipstick.

I think it's funny. Someone on a BBQ forum must have made that comment many years ago, and now ya hear it all the time. Or maybe even their Dad/Grandpa before that.

I have several bottles of BBQ sauce, Hot sauce, and yes, even a bottle of A1.
Sometimes I just want it.

That phrase of BBQ sauce being used to cover up bad BBQ has been around long before Al Gore invented the internet. My dad taught me that the sauce, if used, should compliment the meat and not over power the meat to a point where all you taste IS the sauce and not the meat. Some of the old timers on the KCBS BBQ contest circuit were complaining years ago the contests have drifted towards being more of a sauce contest than a meat cooking contest. Got Blues Hog?

Now to sound hypocritical, I do use Blues Hog in the mix of sauce on some of my contest meats.

My experience with sauce is mostly with ribs. Restaurants around here serve them slathered with sweet sauce. I guess that's what people want. One chain, Chili's, offers them either with sauce or with Texas dry rub. I think sauce can be way over done to where you can't taste much else. That said, I do use it typically on the side.

I like both with and without sauce (depending on the meat) but mostly use sauce cause that's what the wife likes... and it's best to keep her happy. I can see where sauce might cover up bad cooking but don't think that's the case most of the time. Some people just like bbq sauce. When we have company over and I make ribs, I will do one rack with sauce and one without so people have a choice.

A kind of in between option is when I use Meat Church Honey Hog Hot BBQ rub. That kind of gives you that bbq sauce sweetness and flavor.

Hell, the truth be told, I like most everything lol

I first heard the term from Smitty's / Kreuz market but i'm not certain that's where it started.

Unless it's chopped beef i don't really use sauce on beef. Pulled pork I like a little sauce on. If we have people over for barbecue i might encourage them to try some brisket without sauce but I'm not going to shame anybody that wants to have some sauce on their barbecue.

I think that started when competition cooks started smothering there entries with bbq sauce to hide the fact they were over cooked and dry.

I like BBQ sauce, I like A1 steak sauce, I like Sugar (now stevia) in my Folgers original coffee, I like beans in my chili, I like chopped pork over pulled pork, I like long hair on women, I Dislike mayonnaise, I Dislike mushrooms……………..

My rule (only pertaining to bbq) is that if the sauce is glazed on, nothing is being covered up. When there is a half bottle of sauce on the meat like a stew then they're covering it up.

I for on like a glaze on my pork ribs.

My rule (only pertaining to bbq) is that if the sauce is glazed on, nothing is being covered up. When there is a half bottle of sauce on the meat like a stew then they're covering it up.

I for on like a glaze on my pork ribs.

Here's a guy who's got it figured out...

I've done ribs unwrapped with and without sauce(glazed) never added to my pulled pork but have it available,for beef I like the beef flavor to be in the forefront. I like bourbon in my coffee.

Back