Assassin 24 in the House!

Dumb question for Assassin owners here:

Just how do I get the food probe (with that nice right angle bend in it) through the probe port? I definitely did not want to bend the probe. I fell back on my Maverick through the door to monitor the fattie.

Yes, those L-shaped probes won't fit thru the port. I did straighten one probe just enough to be able to slide it thru the port & the probe still works. I bent very slowly & carefully. You can always route the cable thru the door. The gasket will not pinch the cable. Just be careful not to let it get caught in the latches.

BTW nice smoker(other than the color :p) I love my Assassin 17. Not sure if anyone mentioned to you, but I wrap my drip pan with foil before each cook. Makes clean up a lot easier.

Thanks, Jim. I'm going to foil my grease catcher before the next cook. I left it bare for seasoning.

Yes, those L-shaped probes won't fit thru the port. I did straighten one probe just enough to be able to slide it thru the port & the probe still works. I bent very slowly & carefully.

I just did that and it now fits through the port. I plugged the probe into the IQ and it works. Looks like I'm good to go. :-D

I just did that and it now fits through the port. I plugged the probe into the IQ and it works. Looks like I'm good to go. :-D

John:
When I picked my Assassin up, Jeff actually told me to go ahead and straighten out the probe to get it to go through, and it works like a charm..

After about a year of use, I can tell you:

It is suggested that you change the pit temp probe after about 20 - 25 cooks, in order to make certain that it reads correctly...

Foil is your best friend - Like Jim suggested, I too foil the diffuser in the bottom - makes cleanup a breeze...

I also place foil on the top of the briquette chute before sealing the lid - helps reduce the build up of soot...

I will also foil the firebox pan as well - again, makes cleanup a breeze

Had I known I had a thing for tin foil, I would have bought stock in an aluminum foil company before I bought a smoker!!!:loco:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Assassin:razz:

Thanks! First cook started! On to the pRon.......:-D

My little slice of heaven

Setting it up

IQ120 has it dialed in nice

Legs prepped. Brined overnight with half strength Oakridge Game Changer and rubbed with Oakridge Game Bird and Chicken Rub

In the pit

I'll take a peek and temp them in about 3 hours or so.

Back