Smoke House Test Run

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
Finished up the long overdue Smoke House. Gave it a burn in last week and she is ready to roll.

Super busy week but wanted to get in a break in batch of Jerky to start off.

I apologize I did not take picture of the prep, brine, flavor soak, or much of the process at all. It has been 4 years since I moved away from my old smoke House and this one is slightly different (I hope) so I am learning how it will run on the fly.

Found out the meat cutter at WinCo will slice the meat at no charge so Eye of Round sliced for $3.58 / pound was a pretty good deal. Some pieces were wider than desired so just had to cut some down.

I do a salt, garlic, onion brine overnight. Then a rinse and flavor soak with teriyaki (Yoshida's), garlic, onion, soy, Worcestershire, sesame, and brown sugar. soak for a few hours or more. In this case I strung up the meat and put in the soak right before bed and hung it up first thing in the morning.

I coated 1/2 the batch with course Black Pepper (Grands don't like Pepper)

Hung.jpg

Lite the fire

Fire.jpg

Started out at 150° and brought up the temp to the 225° - 250° range playing with fire size and air inlet to get a good feel for the new House.

Ended up finishing in about 6 hours.

Done.jpg

Not a real big batch but it was 12 strings of 16-18 pieces. I did learn how she runs and am ready for bigger runs to come.

Sorry I did not document much but I had a million things going on.
Thanks for Lookin - SD

Great work, I love a dedicated smoke house. It still amazes me, how much the meat shrinks! I understand the hows and whys, but still amazes me.

Matt

That is something I always wanted, but never got a round too. Looks fantastic, and learning the curve is always the fun part!!
Enjoy, and looking forward to future cooks !!!

Beautiful!!! I've been considering one of these for a while, just never got around to it. You've sparked my interest again..... :-D

That is very nice. Ive been dreaming about building one for years, but formerly I was living in a manufactured home/park with rules and regulations. But now I've moved and bought a house so im set to build my own smoke house.
Thanx for rekindling the idea.....my next project!!

That's a sweet set up neighbor. I know you finally got your smokehouse fix in. Look forward to more sessions.

Nice build, Neighbor!
I can't imagine ever being without mine. :-D

Back