Anyone ever make smoked sausage burnt ends

I have smoked a bologna chub, cubed then smoked again with a mustard bbq sauce to make “burnt ends”. I enjoy them. I have not tried with sausage but sounds delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 91
I have not tried it yet, but I've had this recipe in my "to try" file for a while now. Seems pretty similar to the video jbounds286 posted.

Smoked Sausage/Hotdog "burnt end"

Dogs:

• 12 costco dogs, or other sausage
  • Mustard
  • Mayo
  • Your favorite rub
Sauce:

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup Dark Brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water (as needed)
  • 1/4 cup sriracha
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp molasses
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp rub (from above)
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Heat smoker to 250
  2. Slather sausage with 50:50 mustard/mayo mix. Sprinkle with your favorite rub.
  3. Cook sausage 2 hours, or until cooked through. Rotating halfway
  4. Meanwhile make the sauce by adding all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and let simmer for 8 minutes. Remove and cool
  5. Remove the sausage, and cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a disposable aluminum pan.
  6. Add 1 stick of butter, cubed, 2 Tbsp of bbq rub, 1 cup of sauce and mix well
  7. Raise the temp of the smoker to 400 degrees and place the pan in.
  8. Cook for an additional 45 minutes, or until sauce starts to burn a little.

These sausage bites are always good.... 1/3 of a strip of bacon, season with brown sugar and cayenne, and when the bacon is done you are good to go.

yjs8vnJ.jpg

EABnTkq.jpg

These sausage bites are always good.... 1/3 of a strip of bacon, season with brown sugar and cayenne, and when the bacon is done you are good to go.

yjs8vnJ.jpg

EABnTkq.jpg

Those do look amazing! Too work intensive for me for feeding a big crowd though,
Thanks for posting!
JD

I have smoked a bologna chub, cubed then smoked again with a mustard bbq sauce to make “burnt ends”. I enjoy them. I have not tried with sausage but sounds delicious.

Looks awesome!
Thanks for posting!
JD

The term "burnt ends" has essentially been rendered meaningless.

And I agree with you. So what would you call a hot dog or sausage that's been smoked and sauced as we are seeing here? Maybe the forum can coin a new phrase for them and correct the erring internet.

The term "burnt ends" has essentially been rendered meaningless.

Yea, that went out the window when some dork cut off the point (the best part) cubed it up, drowned in sauce, and kept on cooking them.

Those ain’t “burnt ends” either.

And I agree with you. So what would you call a hot dog or sausage that's been smoked and sauced as we are seeing here? Maybe the forum can coin a new phrase for them and correct the erring internet.

My generic term for all munchie things is Happytizers.

Back