Anyone ever make smoked sausage burnt ends

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Planning on a cook for a cookout for my work colleagues.
I wanna do chicken (pulled smoked), beef (smoked chuck), and some easy & inexpensive pork.
I’m considering spicy pork rubbed, sauced and caramelized sausage burnt ends.
Anyone here ever cook or eat these?
Any input, advice or recipes are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
JD

Grew up on BBQ weiners. Dad called them Red Rockets. Buy them buy a sack up around Jay or Afton. Mom would cut and fry in cast iron skillet to get crisp edges, then pour a bottle of BBQ sauce and let them simmer. Served with fresh fried garden okra and blue box Mac.

I believe conecuh sausage would be a great candidate fer yer experiment.

-D

Just looked them up. A bit expensive but I know that quality isn't cheap. THE Sounds fantastic. Have you had them? Are they fully cooked?
JD

grew up on bbq weiners. Dad called them red rockets. Buy them buy a sack up around jay or afton. Mom would cut and fry in cast iron skillet to get crisp edges, then pour a bottle of bbq sauce and let them simmer. Served with fresh fried garden okra and blue box mac.

nice!

Planning on a cook for a cookout for my work colleagues.
I wanna do chicken (pulled smoked), beef (smoked chuck), and some easy & inexpensive pork.
I’m considering spicy pork rubbed, sauced and caramelized sausage burnt ends.
Anyone here ever cook or eat these?
Any input, advice or recipes are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
JD

Here is what I believe to be an important question. I don't mind salt but I know some, like my wife, are sensitive to it. We find many of the fully cooked - processed smoked sausages widely available in the grocery store near the hot dogs and bacon section to be pretty salty. After adding BBQ rub I could imagine these being too salty for some.

I wonder if buying them uncooked, and smoking them myselfon my stick burner and then applying BBQ rub generously would result in a more flavorful and less salty finished product.

You thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
JD

Just looked them up. A bit expensive but I know that quality isn't cheap. THE Sounds fantastic. Have you had them? Are they fully cooked?
JD

I have. It's my favorite sausage. I did not find it salty at all, but I couldn't say if someone sensitive ta salt would. I believe they are fully cooked, but take heat very well, that may be due ta the type of casing, but I'm no expert.

-D

I have. It's my favorite sausage. I did not find it salty at all, but I couldn't say if someone sensitive ta salt would. I believe they are fully cooked, but take heat very well, that may be due ta the type of casing, but I'm no expert.

-D

Thanks brother!
JD

Looks like an excellent way to enjoy dogs. Some beans, tater salad and a cold one and that would be a meal.

So true!

You two made up my mind!
Thanks much!!!!

Have either of you ever tried the concept of smoked sausage burnt ends?
JD

Yep!

Me personally?

Grill first, then slice and apply rub, then sauce, then into the smoke till I’m happy with them.

Serve in a crock pot on warm, people can’t stop eating them.

Back