Anyone here ever smoke cream cheese?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey everyone,

I'm doing my last smoke before our move to opposite corner of the country this Sunday (under a tend because it's going to be raining.

I'm smoking some turkey, and regular German style ring bologna and some beef bologna. Gonna do "burnt ends" style 3 ways, sweet, hot, & hot & sweet.

I figured, I'm experimenting w/ that low stakes cook, why not try something else too, like smoked cream cheese.

Anyone here ever do it or eat it?
If so, how did you do it?
How did you like it?
How did you eat it (i.e. what on)?

I'll report back after my cook.

Have a good weekend!
JD

I’m thinking you’d have to cold smoke it, as it has a lower melting point than regular cheese. Worst case if it fails/mets you can mix some rotel, velveeta, cheddar, green chilis, and a bottle of amber beer to make some killer cheese dip on the smoker.

250° for 2 hours indirect heat.

I start with placing the block of cream cheese in a foil boat. I crosshatch the cream cheese about 1/4 of the way through with a knife. Sprinkle on rub. Place in smoker for a few hours. Once out of the smoker I like to coat the cream cheese with jalapeno jelly and crumbled fried bacon.

b3gp8sxaqftg.jpg

frydfxv2dyc3.jpg

Smoked cream cheese is delicious.
We add preserves of some sort and use it as a dip/spread on crackers

03fae8f91a9b3b938a2cdadfb11c9201.jpg

I've done both ways.

Cold smoked is great to use to add to dishes later, like on top of cucumbers, in dips, etc.

Hot smoked is great to eat directly. The cheese can take a lot, so go heavy on the rub! I really like to add a zesty topping like a jalapeno jelly. And then bacon is great too. I've done a friendly competition using smoked cream cheese, jalapeno jelly, and a home made bacon jam.

Side note, vegan cream cheese is actually good once it's been hot smoked, I couldn't tell a difference versus the normal people version.

Super easy and really good. Don’t use low fat cream cheese for it. It’s quite a bit softer and melts more.

You can put regular cheese on the grate but a frog mat is better. I put it in a small plate that I’m going to serve it from because I’m just that lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did 4 small blocks of cream cheese. Scored, started KBQ w/ cherry splits. Did one w/ Meat Church Honey Hog & one with "Some Hot Rub". Smoked at 250ish for 2 1/4 hours. The rub and the smoke made a nice crust.
I'll reheat in oven and top sweet one with honey and hot one with pepper jelly and serve with pita chips.
Thanks everyone,
JD

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 118
Did 4 small blocks of cream cheese. Scored, started KBQ w/ cherry splits. Did one w/ Meat Church Honey Hog & one with "Some Hot Rub". Smoked at 250ish for 2 1/4 hours. The rub and the smoke made a nice crust.
I'll reheat in oven and top sweet one with honey and hot one with pepper jelly and serve with pita chips.
Thanks everyone,
JD

Looks good — what did you think?

No. It ends up tasting like a stinky ash tray. I prefer to smoke the Salmon for my lox and cream cheese bagels.

No. It ends up tasting like a stinky ash tray. I prefer to smoke the Salmon for my lox and cream cheese bagels.

That's interesting.
You're the first person I've heard this opinion from. I hope I do not agree with you. But I do understand. Everything I've read about smoked bbq beans says they're delicious. Also read they're even better w/ meat drippings. First two times I smoked beans I didn't like what the smoke did to the flavor. 3rd time I put under a brisket. Yuck. I know I'm in the minority with this but my guests agreed with me.
I'll report back on the smoked cream cheese.
JD

Nothing in the smoker should ever taste like a stinky ashtray.

Either old wood or poor draft in the smoker typically causes this.

Looks good — what did you think?

Smoked cream cheese Report: Big win! Even though it was smoked two days before, it was the biggest hit of the meal. One was seasoned w/ Meat Church Honey Hog and the other was seasoned w/ "Chipotle Seasoning, Rub Some Heat" by "BBQ Spot". Smoked in cherry for 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours at 250. The one w/ Honey hog was drizzled with honey and the Rub Some Heat was topped with hot pepper jelly. Served w/ pita chips. Those were gone in as much time as it took for people to eat them and go back for seconds. It actulally stopped the conversation as people were arriving. I'll def do this again.
Thanks!
JD

I do it in a small disposable pan or small ceramic dish. Cross hatch, sprinkle with rub, put apricots jelly around sides of cream cheese. 250 for 2 hours

Back