Advice on a weber kettle rotisserie

Ordered one of these. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Amazon.com : Onlyfire Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie kit for Select 22-1/2 Inch(57CM) Charcoal Grill Models by Weber, Char Broil, Masterbuilt, Napoleon, Kingsford and Others : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Anyone have any experience with these?

I have a 21lb turkey I want to spin on Thursday. Is that too much weight for these?

Yes the standard weight capacity for most of those motors is 20 lbs, also that is for a perfectly balanced load which a turkey definitely would not be well balanced. The biggest turkey I'd try on a 20 lb motor is maybe 15 lbs if it balanced half way decent.

Yes the standard weight capacity for most of those motors is 20 lbs, also that is for a perfectly balanced load which a turkey definitely would not be well balanced. The biggest turkey I'd try on a 20 lb motor is maybe 15 lbs if it balanced half way decent.

Maybe I'll cut the legs off and throw them in the oven. :shock:

Didn't want to take chances so I ordered the 40lb cap motor from Amazon. Only $31 so no too bad.

Does anybody know if that will fit properly onto an UDS?

If you built an adaptor for the weber kettle lid, it should work. If you didn't it probably won't fit that great. I have an adaptor for my lid and I have th Cajun bandit stainless steel ring. Works great!

Btw, the adaptor I have is the top of and old kettle. I cut about an inch or two off the lip of the kettle tha I stole the lid off of and mounted that to the UDS. I then filled the gap with a rope gasket and it fits great with no air leaks.

If you built an adaptor for the weber kettle lid, it should work. If you didn't it probably won't fit that great. I have an adaptor for my lid and I have th Cajun bandit stainless steel ring. Works great!

Btw, the adaptor I have is the top of and old kettle. I cut about an inch or two off the lip of the kettle tha I stole the lid off of and mounted that to the UDS. I then filled the gap with a rope gasket and it fits great with no air leaks.

Air leaks don't mean anything if using a rotisserie, in fact many cook without a lid altogether. Then you have the holes for the spit on both sides.

Air leaks don't mean anything if using a rotisserie, in fact many cook without a lid altogether. Then you have the holes for the spit on both sides.

I was just letting him know how I created the adaptor for the kettle lid. That adaptor is key if you want the rotisserie to sit on a UDS. I was not referring to air leaks with the rotisserie.

Didn't want to take chances so I ordered the 40lb cap motor from Amazon. Only $31 so no too bad.
Hopefully it'll last you a long time, for quality I think OneGrill has the best products. They have a 40 lb with backlash gears and can turn up to 50 lbs.

Arrived today. Already assembled and ready.

I cancelled the extra motor that I had ordered because of the reviews I read. But I did order an extra battery powered motor ( I Know, it sounds crazy) that is rated for 25 lbs that had good reviews.

It's on the kettle now. Seems to work well, with no load. :biggrin1:

At least if one fails tomorrow I will have a back-up.

The bird has been submerged since about 10 this morning.

Pics tomorrow.

You were right. Wouldn't handle it. Back it goes and I ordered the 50 lb OneGrill version.

Ended up leaving the ring on and putting the grate in and cooking on top of that. Very windy day which made it a bit challenging.

Drip pan in the middle and Publix Greenwise lump all around and a few chunks of apple to start. Ended up pretty good though a little dark on the skin. Still juicy and tasty. Had the breast at 165° after just over 3 hours.

005.jpg

Back