First time turkey on Weber kettle - advice needed

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Here in Canada, Thanksgiving is October 12 this year.

My plan is to cook the turkey on my 22” Weber kettle using indirect heating with the Weber Slow n Sear 2.0. I don’t have the Weber slow n sear yet, it’s on order and I should have it this week.

Few questions:
1. With the Weber slow n sear, do you have to put water in the water tray? If so, wouldn’t it just boil off quickly?

2. What kind of rub is good for turkey? I was initially think of not using one.

3. I was going to put some apple pieces inside the turkey and use some applewood for smoke. I’m unsure of the taste. Does turkey and apple go together?

4. What do you recommend as charcoal? I was going to use Weber Briquettes rather than the Kingsford Original that I usually use. They have no additives and is made from hardwood.

TIA

K

Last edited:
Don't have a slow and sear, but have always used one side of the kettle for the fuel, don't like any extra moisture in my kettle or smokers.

I like Weber's Kick'n chicken for rub on my birds.

I use orange slices and quartered up onion for the inside.

I buy whatever is on sale for fuel.

Biggest thing, make sure you do a practice run and don't wait for the big day to go cold turkey....:-D

Good luck!

My advise. Inject the turkey (I’d go butter and Cajun). Use the charcoal baskets - one on each side for even cooking. Have fun, It’ll be great (at least as good as overgrown yard bird can be).

Or... inject it and deep fry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Put a foil pan underneath the bird with some chicken stock, veggies and apples to catch the drippings. Makes great gravy. Use this as a dry brine if you can get it in Canada. It's from a great brother on here. You'll never have a better turkey. Good luck!
bf203a7d1cd82e80f357895e38018c11.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Put a foil pan underneath the bird with some chicken stock, veggies and apples to catch the drippings. Makes great gravy. Use this as a dry brine if you can get it in Canada. It's from a great brother on here. You'll never have a better turkey. Good luck!

Yup, that’s my plan, foil pan under bird for drippings.

I would probably spatchcock the bird and get it a more uniform shape with more surface area for flavor :thumb: and cook indirect like you said.

Patio Daddio's Brine for Turkey

Plenty of butter, salt, and pepper all over and up under the skin as best you can.

Love the onion and orange/lemon inside... maybe a bit more butter (am I part French!?)

If cooking for a crowd, I suggest doing a smaller run (with a whole chicken) beforehand to give you peace of mind and an idea of procedure.

Have fun! Enjoy! Post Pr0n as able.

Apple wood goes excellent with turkey. That's the wood I use every Thanksgiving.

Thanks for letting me know. In my geographic area, we have lots of wild apple trees. The apples are big and red this year. My wife picks them and uses them for various baking, such as pie and tarts. This year we will be putting a few of them inside the thanksgiving bird.

Patio Daddio's Brine for Turkey

Plenty of butter, salt, and pepper all over and up under the skin as best you can.

Love the onion and orange/lemon inside... maybe a bit more butter (am I part French!?)

If cooking for a crowd, I suggest doing a smaller run (with a whole chicken) beforehand to give you peace of mind and an idea of procedure.

Have fun! Enjoy! Post Pr0n as able.

Yup, lots of butter up up under the skin. I’ll probably be soaking the bird overnight in salt water too.

Of course, I’ll post some pron, my wife loves to take pictures.

Do you use any other seasonings with the dry brine?

bf203a7d1cd82e80f357895e38018c11.jpg

I just ordered the brine. I noticed on the outside of the box it says 1.5 teaspoons per pound of meat but on the pouch it says 1 teaspoon per pound.
How much do you use?

Back