Looking for input on Weber Kettle Grill

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Hi all.

As mentioned in the Cattle Call section, my name is Kevin. This summer I retired my propane bbq and went back to charcoal purchasing a Weber 22” Original Kettle Charcoal Grill. It’s been 30+ years since I’ve used charcoal bbqs and I’m hoping to make a bit of a hobby of it.

I am amazed at how charcoal grills have evolved after all these years. I am equally amazed at the upgrades and accessories you can get for the Weber Kettle grills.

So far, I have purchased for this grill:
- Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
- Weber Charcoal Baskets (side charcoal baskets for indirect heating/smoking)
- Weber Kettle Grill with side grill flaps (allows addition of charcoal/smoking wood) easily
- Different flavors of smoking wood(Apple, cherry, hickory)

I did the common mod of drilling a hole in the bbq lid and adding a Weber high temperature Thermometer. Unfortunately, the thermometer doesn’t seem to like water and condensates or fogs over easily resulting in it being difficult to read. Does anyone know of a better thermometer to use or how to adjust the existing Weber one such that it doesn’t do this?

I’m also in the process of modding the top lid exhaust vent with a handle so it can be adjusted without burning your fingers while bbq is in use.

Any other opinions/inputs for mods for this bbq?

The charcoal I’ve been using is Kingsford original. Seems to make lots of ash, but I don’t have anything else to compare it to yet. Kingsford original and Royal Oak are basically the only charcoals I can get in my area and they are in short supply due to COVID-19. By word of mouth I was told that Kingsford original is better than Royal Oak. Opinions? I’m hoping to source other sources of charcoal for the future. Please voice your recommendations on this. I’ve seen on YouTube that B&B is a good charcoal?

I’m looking forward to indirect heating/smoking our thanksgiving turkey this year on this grill. Wish me luck and thanks for any input.

Best Regards,

K

Back