• My First Bird in a Basket: Life-Changing Chicken!

Got my kit yesterday, but no basket yet. Did a bird on the spit and it was good. I filled up the baskets and ran the Weber with all vents wide open. Lid showed a little over 400 degrees. Do y'all try temp control or just have the vents open?

Got my kit yesterday, but no basket yet. Did a bird on the spit and it was good. I filled up the baskets and ran the Weber with all vents wide open. Lid showed a little over 400 degrees. Do y'all try temp control or just have the vents open?

I don't have a thermo on my Weber, but have been doing these cooks with top and bottom vents wide open.

One could add some smoke for the first ten minutes with the bottom vent partially closed...

I usually throw a chunk of wood onto the coals when I put the the food onto the grill. There’s enough airflow and it’s a hot enough fire that it’s thin blue smoke. I might throw another on maybe 20-25 minutes in if I’m feeling crazy. I don’t have a thermometer on mine either but usually run wide open, or maybe 85% intake and exhaust if I’m trying to get a little longer run time out of it.

I don't have a thermo on my Weber, but have been doing these cooks with top and bottom vents wide open.

One could add some smoke for the first ten minutes with the bottom vent partially closed...

Thanks. This was my first shot at it and I figured that since the bird wasn't spatched it would take a while. I took a peek after about 20 minutes and the skin looked good, but I figured it would be burned by the time the meat was done.

I have the SS version of the basket you ordered arriving in a day or two. Can't wait to do a spatched bird and then some wings on this little booger. Also thinking about doing a roti and Roadside chicken mash up with some thighs.

How long did it take with the bird whole? Want to say for me when they were 4 or 5 pounds it could be 90 minutes til it probed right in the breast and thigh. Spatchcocked has been taking me 60-70 minutes for a similar sized bird.

It was done just shy of an hour. I can't remember the weight, but I think it might have been a little less than 4lbs. That's what made me want to ask the question, it seemed like it cooked too fast. It is a cool set up though. Fun times shall be had.

That sounds about right to me...a 4-5lb chicken is pretty decently sized. I have a hard time finding them that small in the brand I most often buy but probably would if I could :thumb:

We buy whole young chickens from local ethnic markets that weigh in at about 2.5-3 lbs apiece. They're small, but we like them that way as the flesh is nice and pink. Here's a pic of one:

Mayo%20BBQ%20Chicken%208%206%202017%201_zpswvidilfo.jpg

These birds take about 40 minutes to cook in the basket when they are spatched. We did do two of them in the basket in a recent cook, but it seems to work better when it's just one bird in the basket.

Back