2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here :)

I got on on this last year. I ended up going with a 1* with flamezone and a front shelf. Mostly because I had a brand new Weber gasser and a ceramic cooker.

Part of me wishes I did the 2*, but I've never thought that the 1* didn't have enough space.

No matter which anyone goes with, I don't think you'll be disappointed and you definitely won't find a deal anywhere close to this group buy.

I wonder what a used 1* can sell for here in New England...

So I am anxiously awaiting Monday. Can anyone who had a CampChef Woodwind and a MAK 1 compare the smoke profiles? Can you get close to the MAK by using the right type of pellets and a fairly high smoke setting on the CampChef? Thanks!

So I am anxiously awaiting Monday. Can anyone who had a CampChef Woodwind and a MAK 1 compare the smoke profiles? Can you get close to the MAK by using the right type of pellets and a fairly high smoke setting on the CampChef? Thanks!

I can maybe answer that for you before Monday, but it will be based on 1 or 2 smokes on the MAK versus just my memories of the CampChef.

My first guess would be no based upon several factors. First, the feedback from all the people that have had other pellet grills before going to MAK saying the smoke profile is so much better on a MAK. Then the design differences with the MAK having openings all the way around the drip pan for smoke to surround the cooking grates vs CampChef having the tray that really only lets smoke come from the front or back.

The smoke from my CampChef was fine. Of all the pellet grills I had, all of them with that angled full length drip pan and high side stack all put out very similar smoke profiles. The exception in this style was probably the newer D2 Traegers which put out less smoke because they tightened up the temp control too much.

The Weber and the Memphis both had a definitely noticeable better smoke profiles than the rest. I equate that to the non-traditional designs. Still nothing like what you can produce on a stick burner or Kamado.

To share something that can be a little less subjective as all of us that buy a high end pellet grill are constant trying to self justify that it was worth it so we could be telling our brains what we are eating just has to be smokier. I can say there is absolutely no comparison construction wise. My MAK feels like it's going to last 20 years easily if I take care of it probably even still that long if I didn't. All the imports felt like if I rolled it over a big enough crack too fast it might split into pieces. Obviously that never happened, they just felt like they were built to the bare minimum to hold together, like having a shelf rated for 500lbs and always having 499lbs of stuff on it watching it bow over time. Things like rattling when you rolled them, some flex when you lifted them by the handle (most only had two wheels), etc.

What is it about the 1* that makes you wish you got the 2*?

Mostly the cold smoker box add on. I also like the bottom shelf with cabinet doors.

Other than that I haven't needed the extra racks yet, but can definitely see it coming in handy, especially for jerky making.

Thanks! Very much looking forward to getting a Mak - on the fence about whether I really need anything more than the 1*.

Can you use MAK 1 or 2 Star in the rain? Do you have to worry about the water getting inside to the pellets?

Are there any pictures/information on the cold smoking part? I didn't see anything on the Mak site that really showed that.

Can you use MAK 1 or 2 Star in the rain? Do you have to worry about the water getting inside to the pellets?

I have cooked in the rain many times. Have never had an issue. MAK’s are built in Oregon... they know rain... lol.

Thanks! Very much looking forward to getting a Mak - on the fence about whether I really need anything more than the 1*.
This was me last year. I went 1* because I have lots of other cookers if I need capacity. If it was my only cooker then i might have went with the 2*.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have a gasser and a primo ceramic, and a pizza oven just arrived, so I think the 1* will be enough...

I participated in the group buy last year and decided on the 1 Star. My decision was based on the 1 Star having a smaller footprint. Also, I live in a dry climate with the 1 Star under a patio, so no worries about paint. The accessories that I have enjoyed are the 3/4 and full top shelf grates, the front shelf and the blank pan that fully covers the flamezone. The reason I like the blank pan, it is easier to clean and I seem to keep more consistent temps then when I use the standard flamezone covers. The only thing I can think of that I would miss with the 2 Star, would be the extra shelves.

Thanks, little concerned about the paint here with the bad winter weather but I figure with the cover it’ll be ok. Hadn’t looked at the blank pan - ease of cleaning is a big plus. I like the smaller footprint - the backyards here in Brooklyn are small.

Thanks, little concerned about the paint here with the bad winter weather but I figure with the cover it’ll be ok. Hadn’t looked at the blank pan - ease of cleaning is a big plus. I like the smaller footprint - the backyards here in Brooklyn are small.

Maybe it’ll put your mind at ease to know that the 1 Star has a very high quality high temp powder coating... and underneath that is aluminized steel. Even if you get a chip or two in the powder coat, you won’t be dealing with rust because of the aluminized steel. There were no shortcuts taken with the 1 Star :)

Thanks Robb, this is place is great - really appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to March 1, thanks for setting it up...

Back