Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ

I just saw this ... Thank you !!! I am slaw challenged .... and finishing sauce challenged ... at least I have something to try !

I made this tonight - or a close version of it anyway. Only had a picnic, and there were only 4 of us, so I didn't run out and get a butt. Anyway, big hit around the house. Didn't get finished pix, but here's the picnic out of the cooker.

IMG_447539136.jpg

The skin wasn't really all the way where it needed to be when I pulled it out, so I cut squares and threw it on a grill for a while for cracklins. Evil stuff, but so dang good!

I made this tonight - or a close version of it anyway. Only had a picnic, and there were only 4 of us, so I didn't run out and get a butt. Anyway, big hit around the house. Didn't get finished pix, but here's the picnic out of the cooker.

IMG_447539136.jpg

The skin wasn't really all the way where it needed to be when I pulled it out, so I cut squares and threw it on a grill for a while for cracklins. Evil stuff, but so dang good!

That is a tasty looking picnic!

I did 2 picnics and 2 butts this weekend but didn't get pictures for a catering gig.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I just saw this ... Thank you !!! I am slaw challenged .... and finishing sauce challenged ... at least I have something to try !

Here is my slaw and finishing sauce recipes if you want to give them a go.

Eastern Carolina Finishing Sauce
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2-4 tablespoons crushed red peppers (depending on how hot you like it)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Directions:
Mix in a jar minimum 24 hours before using. I have a jar that always has finishing sauce sitting on my counter. The longer it sits the better.

Use 1/2 cup finishing sauce for a 6-10lb pork butt or picnic.

Aawa's Coleslaw
1/2 head cabbage - shredded
1/2 medium sized red onion - sliced really thin
2-3 carrots shredded - I used a fist full of pre shredded carrots typically
1.5 tablespoons iodized salt (you can use kosher salt also but it will vary)

Mix the vegetables and sprinkle salt over and allow to sit for 2 hours to leech water from the veggies. This will get them nice and tender and bring out the natural sweetness from the veggies

1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoons tarragon
1 big squeeze agave nectar (can substitute honey or 1/2 tablespoon sugar)
1 regular squeeze of frenches yellow mustard
2 cups mayo

Add tarragon to apple cider vinegar and allow to steep for 20-30minutes. Mix in agave nectar, mustard and mayo and whisk till combined. Let sit minimum 2 hours to allow the flavor to marry (if you can let it sit overnight it is even better)

After 2 hours of the veggies being salted, drain water and add the sauce in. Add a cup in and then slowly add in some till you reach the consistency you like. Refridgerate minimum 1 hour best if left for 4 hours.

The slaw is a hybrid of the vinegar slaw and mayo slaw. You get the fatty richness from the mayo but the vinegar comes in after the richness and really makes the slaw lighter.

Here is my slaw and finishing sauce recipes if you want to give them a go.

Eastern Carolina Finishing Sauce
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2-4 tablespoons crushed red peppers (depending on how hot you like it)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Directions:
Mix in a jar minimum 24 hours before using. I have a jar that always has finishing sauce sitting on my counter. The longer it sits the better.

Use 1/2 cup finishing sauce for a 6-10lb pork butt or picnic.

Aawa's Coleslaw
1/2 head cabbage - shredded
1/2 medium sized red onion - sliced really thin
2-3 carrots shredded - I used a fist full of pre shredded carrots typically
1.5 tablespoons iodized salt (you can use kosher salt also but it will vary)

Mix the vegetables and sprinkle salt over and allow to sit for 2 hours to leech water from the veggies. This will get them nice and tender and bring out the natural sweetness from the veggies

1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoons tarragon
1 big squeeze agave nectar (can substitute honey or 1/2 tablespoon sugar)
1 regular squeeze of frenches yellow mustard
2 cups mayo

Add tarragon to apple cider vinegar and allow to steep for 20-30minutes. Mix in agave nectar, mustard and mayo and whisk till combined. Let sit minimum 2 hours to allow the flavor to marry (if you can let it sit overnight it is even better)

After 2 hours of the veggies being salted, drain water and add the sauce in. Add a cup in and then slowly add in some till you reach the consistency you like. Refridgerate minimum 1 hour best if left for 4 hours.

The slaw is a hybrid of the vinegar slaw and mayo slaw. You get the fatty richness from the mayo but the vinegar comes in after the richness and really makes the slaw lighter.

I am so giving this a try this weekend. Thanks.

I made a mistake with my directions for the slaw.

Put the veggies in a container and then add the salt and mix. This will allow the salt to mix over more of the veggies so more of the water leeches out of it.

Outside brown refers to having some of the bark (not hard) included. If you don't ask, you likely won't get (or much). I learned this quickly after moving here.

There are a couple different names for this item:

Outside Brown
Bark
Meat Skin

All of them are the same thing - LOTS of flavor (from rub or salt or whatever) and are usually chopped into the rest of the pork. Occasionally this is offered seperately - especially in the Lexington area.

After salting and letting stand, do you rinse the slaw to get rid of the salt ?

I do not rinse the salt off. If you add too much salt, then you will want to rinse it off. I find the 1.5 tablespoons to be enough to season the veggies and sauce perfectly. Best way to make sure is to taste the leeched out veggies before you put the sauce on to determine if you need to rinse or not.

Great post! I've been making that sauce since '99, didn't know it was a NC sauce, use it a lot, especially on brisket, will cook my butt exactly like you said this weekend, thanks again

Im going to try this in the next few days. You obviously got some great looking bark with just using salt. Im worried that I wont get as good of bark as I typically do on my pork butts because of the absence of sugar and using just salt on my Kamado Joe. Should I be?

Im going to try this in the next few days. You obviously got some great looking bark with just using salt. Im worried that I wont get as good of bark as I typically do on my pork butts because of the absence of sugar and using just salt on my Kamado Joe. Should I be?

The bark will depend upon the fuel you use.
A good hardwood lump should give you a decent bark with just salt.
This was yesterday’s pork butt cook (just salt) using cherry wood in the offset

c87fe9e6dd0284a1341f639a9a55060f.jpg

e9b46ea0f60a9c9dd785e7eafc32de91.jpg

The bark will depend upon the fuel you use.
A good hardwood lump should give you a decent bark with just salt.
This was yesterday’s pork butt cook (just salt) using cherry wood in the offset

c87fe9e6dd0284a1341f639a9a55060f.jpg

e9b46ea0f60a9c9dd785e7eafc32de91.jpg

I Will be using lump charcoal with apple and hickory chunks in my kamado joe. Think that will create nice bark?

Back