Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ

Finally just saw this -- your recipe is spot-on traditional NC-style 'que. I love that you specified CWB's and slaw, as they are ESSENTIAL ingredients.

I do East NC-style, because that's where I lived as a kid. But the only changes from your approach are: 1- I only cook a butt, because that provides more than enough meat for my family of four; 2- I usually rub it with s&p or SPOG before putting it in the cooker; 3- no ketchup in the sauce (makes it ENC-style); and 4- my sauce recipe includes some cayenne pepper in addition to the red pepper flakes and black pepper. Otherwise, my process is identical.

I do think it's time I branched out a little further west, so next time I'll try your approach.

Glad to see someone else who doesn't rely on foil!!

Did this yesterday and must say, it was one of the best butts I have ever done. I think naked and then course sea salt is my new go to...thanks for sharing!

6993948f1fc51b2c0c51cf181fa8765d.jpg

5ff5e15f8b44bc3a997e917d411334bf.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did this yesterday and must say, it was one of the best butts I have ever done. I think naked and then course sea salt is my new go to...thanks for sharing!

6993948f1fc51b2c0c51cf181fa8765d.jpg

5ff5e15f8b44bc3a997e917d411334bf.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beautiful!

The first time I tried NC BBQ we were on an all day whitewater rafting trip on the Pigeon River. Afterwards we were starving and stopped at some small joint near Asheville. I don't know if I've ever loved a woman more than I did that pulled pork and slaw sammich.
Carolina Q rocks. Thanks, SirPorkaLot.

The first time I tried NC BBQ we were on an all day whitewater rafting trip on the Pigeon River. Afterwards we were starving and stopped at some small joint near Asheville. I don't know if I've ever loved a woman more than I did that pulled pork and slaw sammich.

If it was a small joint near Asheville, it was probably Little Pigs BBQ, one of the finest the area has to offer

Carolina Q rocks.

Someone should really paraphrase you and put this on a t-shirt about NC 'Cue...

God Bess you, sir.

Pretty much right on all points other than the 'cue should be chopped to be truly authentic. If you're going for Lexington-style then the slaw needs to be red. If you're going for Eastern then it's while slaw. Both slaws should be chopped fine - no stringy slaw.

Pretty much right on all points other than the 'cue should be chopped to be truly authentic. If you're going for Lexington-style then the slaw needs to be red. If you're going for Eastern then it's while slaw. Both slaws should be chopped fine - no stringy slaw.

Yea, I don’t pull my pork. :becky:
Everything is chopped and the slaw is a vinegar slaw, just a light red that doesn’t show on photos

Libertarian has a point, but I was trying to stay out of it. :shock: :wink:

Hickory Smoked 'cue - on a CWB... then, we decide about the slaw that goes on it.

Sounds like a win to me.

Make finely chopped, GOOD/TASTY slaw! I don't care what color it is.

NC 'Cue. Day-um, that sounds tasty. My Tarheel Roots are showing.

I was ready to get in the car and head up I5, and I realized I was five years too late.

I *think* you need to amend the tutorial to say that NC style BQ tastes better with Naturiffic Salts....just saying...

^^^^ Sounds like that would make a great country song . . . .

First time reading this thread, and it's given me some variations to try the next time I'm cooking pork. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to whoever bumped this thread.

Back