Cowboy Kent Rollins Brisket

jeffshoaf

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
I grew up on NC Lexington-style pork BBQ and have little brisket experience. Most of the stuff I find on brisket is focused on central Texas style. What's y'all's thoughts on Cowboy Kent's 6 hour method he just posted? He's using a Hasty Bake; I'd think this would translate well to Kamodo.

https://youtu.be/nKAf_NbtsSc

I'm a fan of Kent Rollins. Really like his no-nonsense methods...but there's nothing groundbreaking here. He cooks it pretty fast, but that's becoming more common. I'd think you could replicate this method on your Kamado pretty well.

Red

You beat me to it Jeff. I watched it too. Been thinking about that Kent Rollins/Hasty Bake Smoker too. I looked it up and it's $899 before mods. May sell my WSM 18.5 and drive up to Tulsa and pick one up. He does it right, no muss, no fuss. Thanks for posting this.

You beat me to it Jeff. I watched it too. Been thinking about that Kent Rollins/Hasty Bake Smoker too. I looked it up and it's $899 before mods. May sell my WSM 18.5 and drive up to Tulsa and pick one up. He does it right, no muss, no fuss. Thanks for posting this.

What interested me was the end result that didn't require an overnight cook or a very early start to get the Brisket done and rested for dinner. I really need my beauty sleep!

I have a big kamodo that this technique sound work week on, but it holds heat and moisture so well that a real low and slow cook isn't an issue. I also have an insulated gravity feed that does an overnight cook easily with the Thermoworks Signals and Bellows control.

I really want a stick burner but I don't want to stay up all night to feed one; the gravity feed was supposed to scratch that itch with close to stick burner results without the constant attention but I don't really enjoy using it - I miss seeing and playing with the fire. If Kent's method gives good results reliably for pork butts and briskets with a stick burner, I'd be able to get a reasonable amount of sleep and still have things ready for dinner.

I like and admire Kent -and it's a decent looking brisket.

$899 for what's basically a square UDS?

/nah. BUT I did enjoy the video...was strange to see him not fighting the wind. And when he was unrolling the butcher paper, I was shaking my head. "Way too short, amigo"- he did not listen to me. They must have done a cut on that part. No way he got got that nice wrap out of what he cut and then added to- nope

I like and admire Kent -and it's a decent looking brisket.

$899 for what's basically a square UDS?

/nah. BUT I did enjoy the video...was strange to see him not fighting the wind. And when he was unrolling the butcher paper, I was shaking my head. "Way too short, amigo"- he did not listen to me. They must have done a cut on that part. No way he got got that nice wrap out of what he cut and then added to- nope

Just for me, more space and I like the way they do it. Gaskets on a true smoker with that vent control is nice too.

When you drive up to Tulsa, let me know and I'll drive over and meet you and buy you lunch. If it is on a Wednesdy, I'll take you North 30 miles and we'll visit Donny Teel, Buffalo's BBQ, for lunch on prime rib day. If any other day of the week, we can still go for just his regular BBQ lunch. Worth the trip.

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:
hasty bakes look cool, just don't have a need...for now...

"Ken's method"? You should give it a try if you haven't. It's just hot(ter) and fast(er) with a butcher paper wrap. I don't know who should be attributed with using it first.

makes a fine brisket it does.

When you drive up to Tulsa, let me know and I'll drive over and meet you and buy you lunch. If it is on a Wednesdy, I'll take you North 30 miles and we'll visit Donny Teel, Buffalo's BBQ, for lunch on prime rib day. If any other day of the week, we can still go for just his regular BBQ lunch. Worth the trip.

Thanks,

Robert

I will do that Robert. Would be great to meet up with you again.

Back