Yoder Kingman

marbque

Got Wood.
Looking for owners of the Yoder Kingman. I have searched thru and don't see much info on this model anywhere. Can anyone who owns one give me some pro's and cons of this model? thanks

Don't own one but helped a buddy cook on his a few times. They are REALLY well built, and easy to cook on. Personally, I don't care for the multipurpose firebox/grill but each to his own on that. Don't think you can go wrong with Yoder quality.

Edit: Oh yea, I would rather see the exhaust come out at about the main grate level instead of the top of the cook chamber.

Don't own one but helped a buddy cook on his a few times. They are REALLY well built, and easy to cook on. Personally, I don't care for the multipurpose firebox/grill but each to his own on that. Don't think you can go wrong with Yoder quality.

Edit: Oh yea, I would rather see the exhaust come out at about the main grate level instead of the top of the cook chamber.

Thank you for your response

I dont think the firebox is insulated but the build quality is second to none...

I live just 60 miles north of their store and drop in often to drool...And leave depressed because I cant have one...

I dont think the firebox is insulated but the build quality is second to none...

I live just 60 miles north of their store and drop in often to drool...And leave depressed because I cant have one...

I feel the same way. I live in derby about 15 miles away from all thing bbq. I wish I had more money.

The standard model does not have an insulated firebox, but I had an insulated square-boiler style firebox installed on mine. Its the same firebox that's on their competition cart smokers. The insulated firebox is 1/2" steel; the rest of the smoker - including doors and all - is 1/4" steel. A non-insulated round firebox that comes standard on all of Yoder's offset backyard smokers is 1/4" steel, which is what you want. However, I like the larger size and, obviously, double-thick steel walls of the insulated box, so I paid extra for it.

Last edited:
Additionally, I had the stack lowered to grate level on my Kingman, as well as the heat management system removed, so that there's more top heat than bottom heat. And by "removed" I mean that I ordered my Kingman with a removable HMS, which I took out as soon as it arrived. I can install it manually if needed. This way the heat and smoke are pulled across the cooking grate evenly and I can cook briskets / ribs / butts fat cap side up so that the fat bastes the meat as it melts. This also prevents the non-fat underside of these cuts of meat from burning on the bottom from too much bottom heat. Further, I had the stack enlarged to create a greater pull of heat and smoke from the insulated firebox, added two probe ports, added a third thermometer, and had all three thermometers installed 1" above each grill grate (2 on the bottom / main grill grate at the firebox and smoke stack ends and one in the middle of the second / upper grill grate). This configuration creates even temps across the grate and works perfectly. Yoders are beasts!

Last edited:
Additionally, I had the stack lowered to grate level on my Kingman, as well as the heat management system removed, so that there's more top heat than bottom heat. And by "removed" I mean that I ordered my Kingman with a removable HMS, which I took out as soon as it arrived. I can install it manually if needed. This way the heat and smoke are pulled across the cooking grate evenly and I can cook briskets / ribs / butts fat cap side up so that the fat bastes the the meat as it melts. This also prevents the non-fat underside of these cuts of meat from burning on the bottom from too much bottom heat. Further, I had the stack enlarged to create a greater pull of heat and smoke from the insulated firebox. This configuration creates even temps across the grate and works perfectly. Yoders are beasts!
Sounds like a well thought out build... I like :)

Additionally, I had the stack lowered to grate level on my Kingman, as well as the heat management system removed, so that there's more top heat than bottom heat. And by "removed" I mean that I ordered my Kingman with a removable HMS, which I took out as soon as it arrived. I can install it manually if needed. This way the heat and smoke are pulled across the cooking grate evenly and I can cook briskets / ribs / butts fat cap side up so that the fat bastes the the meat as it melts. This also prevents the non-fat underside of these cuts of meat from burning on the bottom from too much bottom heat. Further, I had the stack enlarged to create a greater pull of heat and smoke from the insulated firebox. This configuration creates even temps across the grate and works perfectly. Yoders are beasts!

Sounds like my dream set up. Mind letting me know what that ended up running you?

Thanks - I did a lot of research before selecting the Yoder Kingman and then deciding on those specific mods. I wanted a traditional steel offset barrel smoker because I BBQ in the style of central Texas. The Yoder Kingman was, in my opinion, the best model of that type of smoker. The mods came from reading a couple of books, especially Aaron Franklin's book, wherein he does an excellent job detailing the physical and mechanical science behind his custom-built smokers and how the thermodynamics of BBQ'g work inside of them. Also, my first smoker was a $400 Old Country Pecos model that I bought from Academy Sports. The Old Country smokers have smoke stacks at grill level, so I was able to practice on a smoker that operated much like Aaron Franklin's cookers and his overall BBQ'g philosophy. I did that for a year, and then realized that I still loved BBQ'g despite the difficulty in BBQ'g on a traditional wood-fired offset smoker that was made with 3/16" steel. That smoker obviously didn't retain heat very well and, thus, required almost my undivided attention for the duration of each cook. But, if you can BBQ on one of those and still love doing it despite the work that's required, then you're prepared to advance (and invest in) to a more professional smoker. After that, its just a matter of saving the money needed for the smoker that you want to operate going forward. Don't get me wrong about the Old Country smoker, though - I think its the best smoker that you can get for under $500. And the larger Bravos model, which is designed exactly the same but bigger and made out of 1/4" steel pipe, is easily the best smoker on the market for under $1000.

The Kingman retails for approx $2600. Shipping from Kansas to New Orleans was $400; the custom cover they make for it was $300; the insulated firebox was $800; the stainless steel shelf was $250; the additional therm was $30; the two probe ports were $30 each; and they moved and enlarged the stack - I think - at no extra charge. Thus, the final cost was approx $5,000. You can save almost $1000 if you pick it up yourself and then buy a water-proof tarp to cover it instead of their cover. Unfortunately for me, though, New Orleans is a very wet / hot / humid environment, so I bought the cover and a water-proof tarp to wrap it in when not in use. Like I mentioned in the post above, I consider my smoker an investment, which is why I elected to take the 'belt & suspenders' approach to maintaining it with both the cover and a water-proof tarp. An ounce of prevention . . .

Last edited:
The Kingman retails for approx $2600. Shipping from Kansas to New Orleans was $400; the custom cover they make for it was $300; the insulated firebox was $800; the stainless steel shelf was $250; the additional therm was $30; the two probe ports were $30 each; and they moved and enlarged the stack - I think - at no extra charge. Thus, the final cost was approx $5,000. You can save almost $1000 if you pick it up yourself and then buy a water-proof tarp to cover it instead of their cover. Unfortunately for me, though, New Orleans is a very wet / hot / humid environment, so I bought the cover and a water-proof tarp to wrap it in when not in use. Like I mentioned in the post above, I consider my smoker an investment, which is why I elected to take the 'belt & suspenders' approach to maintaining it with both the cover and a water-proof tarp. An ounce of prevention . . .

Awesome, thanks for all the info. I'm close enough that when my home built smoker rusts out/I grow out of it I think I'd road trip down to pick a yoder up. Do you wish you would have gotten the comp cart like the Cimarron, or are you happy with the standard kingman cart?

Mind uploading a picture of your rig as well? I'd really like to see how it looks with all the mods you made to it.

I have regular Kingman backyard model. Have been using it since September. Standard config with exception of 2 probe ports installed. I must say this cooker rocks in the standard form. I have been able to have even stable temps across the pit. This is of course with the HMS plate in. It really came down to how big and fast a fire I started. If I start my fire slow and small...I will be dead even across the pit, If I start fast and big fire, my firebox side I can spike it 100 degrees higher than my stack side. Very great cooker though

I have regular Kingman backyard model. Have been using it since September. Standard config with exception of 2 probe ports installed. I must say this cooker rocks in the standard form. I have been able to have even stable temps across the pit. This is of course with the HMS plate in. It really came down to how big and fast a fire I started. If I start my fire slow and small...I will be dead even across the pit, If I start fast and big fire, my firebox side I can spike it 100 degrees higher than my stack side. Very great cooker though

very cool! Man I love this group. This is the one cooker that I have been the most interested in since they are relatively close and looks like the perfect size to me. There just isn't a lot of info out about it online. Lots of people with the Wichita but almost no one with the kingman. The stockton looks really cool too but there is NOTHING out on it review wise....

How much food do you think you could fit in it? (any pics of food actually on the cooker?)

BNo20D2hLTN

very cool! Man I love this group. This is the one cooker that I have been the most interested in since they are relatively close and looks like the perfect size to me. There just isn't a lot of info out about it online. Lots of people with the Wichita but almost no one with the kingman. The stockton looks really cool too but there is NOTHING out on it review wise....

How much food do you think you could fit in it? (any pics of food actually on the cooker?)

I always have trouble posting here. I sent you a link in the PM

Back