Charcoal Flattop Grill

mattmountz94

Babbling Farker
Hope everyone is doing well. Been a long time since I last posted. Looking at getting a charcoal flattop. Right now the Pitts and Spitts is at the top of my list. Yoder is right behind. Anyone have the Pitts and Spitts and can give any feedback? Are there any other brands out there that are similar? Would a Santa Maria fit the bill better? Looking to cook chicken, steaks, veggies, burgers.

Thanks

I've thought pitts and spitts looks pretty sharp

I've seen Yoder in person, built like a tank, but haven't cooked in either

I have a Santa Maria with argentinian-style grates. I think the grill you linked has some nice features like the lid that will speed up some cooks and the enclosed fire box that will help on windy days - but the lid limits how thick your food can be and the enclosed fire box looks like it'll make ash removal aggravating. You can probably snuff the fire by closing the lid and the fire box vents and save unused fuel for the next cook; this just isn't possible with my Santa Maria.

That being said, there are Santa Maria grills lids and some (like mine) have high sides to limit the effect of windy days. I've also found that I get a lot of enjoyment by cooking with wood instead of charcoal and playing with the wood fire - and the wood gives a different flavor profile than charcoal. I also get another way to control the cook temps since I can move wood and embers around in addition to varying the grate height. Clean-up is also relatively easy since the front panel of my grill opens; I use a shovel to clean out the ash.

My only dislike for my grill is that it's a pain to take the cover off and put it back on. Grilling on it is my favorite way to cook now though I always seem to build too big a fire!

Attachments

• PXL_20210703_203548564 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210703_203548564 (1).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 251
  • PXL_20211213_213455652.jpg
    PXL_20211213_213455652.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 250
I thought flat top too.

Flattop grill usually means a griddle……….

Yeah, when I read this, I initially thought charcoal powered "griddle"...
I was going to respond to that saying I just would set up my griddle I got from Baking Steel....that I usually use on my stove top, and put it on my Big Green Egg XL to use it outdoors.

Most of the time I use this, however, I turn it upside down where the outside grooves are on bottom and just a flat top...and use it as a baking steel for pizza, when I turn the BGE into a wood or coal fired pizza oven.

https://bakingsteel.com/collections/griddles/products/baking-steel-griddle

Anyway..this thing works great for all that...and if you're patient, they always seem to put their stuff on sale like 1-2 times a year.

cayenne

The Pitts and Spitts actually has a removable ash tray the entire bottom of the unit. One of the reasons I liked this unit. All of the positives you mentioned are reasons I like the Pitts and Spitts. I think the lid would come in handy more often then not, and it can always be removed with 2 cotterpins. Love your Santa Maria. I have been going back and forth between the Pitts and Spitts and the AZ Scottsdale Cooker as they are very close in price.

I have a Santa Maria with argentinian-style grates. I think the grill you linked has some nice features like the lid that will speed up some cooks and the enclosed fire box that will help on windy days - but the lid limits how thick your food can be and the enclosed fire box looks like it'll make ash removal aggravating. You can probably snuff the fire by closing the lid and the fire box vents and save unused fuel for the next cook; this just isn't possible with my Santa Maria.

That being said, there are Santa Maria grills lids and some (like mine) have high sides to limit the effect of windy days. I've also found that I get a lot of enjoyment by cooking with wood instead of charcoal and playing with the wood fire - and the wood gives a different flavor profile than charcoal. I also get another way to control the cook temps since I can move wood and embers around in addition to varying the grate height. Clean-up is also relatively easy since the front panel of my grill opens; I use a shovel to clean out the ash.

My only dislike for my grill is that it's a pain to take the cover off and put it back on. Grilling on it is my favorite way to cook now though I always seem to build too big a fire!

My only dislike for my grill is that it's a pain to take the cover off and put it back on.

Have you thought about a pulley or two above your grill to help pull off/put on the cover? Really nice looking grill - I'd find a way to live with the cover issue.

Dang nice grill. I really want to get one like that.

Yeah, when I read this, I initially thought charcoal powered "griddle"...
I was going to respond to that saying I just would set up my griddle I got from Baking Steel....that I usually use on my stove top, and put it on my Big Green Egg XL to use it outdoors.

Most of the time I use this, however, I turn it upside down where the outside grooves are on bottom and just a flat top...and use it as a baking steel for pizza, when I turn the BGE into a wood or coal fired pizza oven.

https://bakingsteel.com/collections/griddles/products/baking-steel-griddle

Anyway..this thing works great for all that...and if you're patient, they always seem to put their stuff on sale like 1-2 times a year.

cayenne

Not to highjack this thread, but I have that same 3/8" griddle you mention and it is by far the best and most used piece of BBQ equipment I have. It just gets better with age and the sear is unbelievable.

Yoder doesn’t have access to add wood or charcoal. That would be a big drawback for me.

I'm interested here too, since I've been thinking about some type of "Chudbox" style "flattop" for direct heat cooking. I ran across 1904 Pits, and wish I could find someone to make a hybrid Chudbox, 1904, Pitts and Spits, LSG, since I like different aspects of each.

Griddle.

Not to highjack this thread, but I have that same 3/8" griddle you mention and it is by far the best and most used piece of BBQ equipment I have. It just gets better with age and the sear is unbelievable.

Indeed.

I would take that hunk of metal and slap it over ANY fire source and call it a day...for griddling or making a pizza oven out of it...

Anything that. needs a serious sear.

c

Back