THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

chadwickz71

Hello everyone, I have a question for you. Im in the process of starting my on business in manufacturing bbq pits of all sizes as well as catering and competition trailers. I have a 100ft by 60ft shop that im outfitting right now, while im making up my drawings.

I would like to know which you would rather have for a catering, competition or just plain'ole bbq trailer.

Gooseneck or Bumper-pull?

With that being said let me give you an idea. The two different pits that will go on these larger trailers are 30" diameter and a 36" diameter main chambers. The total length adding the smoker, firebox, and char-grill will be 12ft long for one and 15ft long for the other.

I will be putting the smaller one of a 16ft bumper pull trailer just for certain people that don't need room for kitchen equipment and don't need an enclosed space.

However, what I need your opinion on is the 20-24ft trailer. Some will have enclosed kitchens on the front. Now technically you can make them bumper pull. However a gooseneck would be better and plus you then have a place on top of the neck for storage or possible wood racks.

So let me know what you would prefer for a trailer. I know a lot of guys don't even have a gooseneck hitch in their truck.(not hard to install though)

Thanks everyone for your input, this is very important info for me. I could build them both ways but I just would like real BBQ'ers opinions.

That's a which do you like better, Maryann or Ginger (or in Bill's case Mrs. Howell). If these are going to be custom trailers, I'd let the buyer pick his poison as part of the design process. I'd prefer to have a 5th-wheel set-up, but I'd also need to take into consideration what I'm already driving and what else I'm doing with the truck.

I personnally would reather have a goosenech. I think they are way easier to pull than a bumper trailer. You are going to have people that want both. some folks aren't going to be pulling trailers with suburbans and expiditions so a gooseneck would be out for them. I'd say make some of both and be prepaired to have orders for both.

I learned that out 5th wheel is was easier and smoother to pull than our bumper pull was. I'd prefer a gooseneck, I would think that the size of trailer would make a difference as well.

yeah, thats what im thinking, goosenecks just make since but the buyer is the one who is to be satisfied, not me.

the more models i have though the higher the cost of all of them. I was hoping to keep my production time down with fewer models but that may not be smart on the selling end.

Either way, I'd like to get everyones preference though. it will help.

I don't have a goose neck setup, but I do have 3 out of 5 vehicles with bumper towing hitches, so if I'm anything to go by don't limit what you build, just limit what you hold in stock, and I'd estimate you'll do more bumper hitches than goose necks, but YMMV!

thanks for all the replies everyone, keep'em coming.

You could build the bed of the trailer and outfit it with equipment without a tounge. Most light duty trailers have the axles attached to the bed with a wrap around tounge extending back to the front most leaf mount, so the axles can be attached and the units can be rolled around with a small tractor or forklift. I'm imagining a piece of 4 inch c chanel between the two frontmost crossmembers with a inch and a half hole for a fixed pin on a fork to poke through and provide a means of moving a trailer around without a tounge. With a tounge pre made in a jig it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to attach any type of tounge you want. A goose is going to cost quite a lot more to manufacture than a bumper pull with the additional materials and time involved. I would guess at least $800 to $1000 or more with the wood rack idea to the final price. I have the gut feeling when the money is going down on the table most of your customers are going to go bumper pull though. If nothing else it will be an awesome form of theft protection while they are sitting on your lot. :idea: LOL!!:p

Rawbacon I like your idea. And yeah, you might be right about people and their money.

Its just funny though that you see all these BBQ concession trailers and everytime I see one I always say, "Where's the wood rack"

I usually end up seeing two vehicles. One is pulling the trailer and the bed is filled up with coolers and equipment. Then there is the loaner truck that has a bunch of wood in the back.

But like you say, people with go through the hassle and probably pay the hundred bucks worth of gas for the "wood truck" every two weeks or so, then pay a little more for a unit that has everything on it. Seems like the trailer would pay for its extra ability in a years time.

with the high price of fuel I say people will start down sizeing in a few years. You prolly start seeing more smaller truck and trailers.

thats true about fuel however the weight difference between the two is probably not even noticeable.

Anyone else have any input

Gooseneck or bumper-pull?

While a Gooseneck, from a pracrical point of view is better in regards to the quality of pulling, the vast majority of Pickups and SUV's today are set up for a bumper pull. So looking from a purely market share point of view, the greatest number of potential clients are bumper pull. I do like the idea of offering a gooseneck as an option. Something for everyone!! Keep us updated and show us some pics or drawings when you can, sounds very interestring.

Last edited:
well if these pics load, this is a picture of a 30ft trailer with the Large 15ft pit im telling ya'll about. I will be making a lot of smaller models, this one was just an idea.

any chance I could make that one Bumper-pull:icon_bugeyed:lol:

Attachments

• pit1.JPG
    pit1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 51
  • pit2.JPG
    pit2.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 51
Now, that is a killer rig. A BBQ pit you can live in... You definitely need a gooseneck for that. I agree with the other comments that a bumperpull models will give you the biggest market...

Back