280 gallon build

Cheshire Bbq

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Here I go again. Bigger must be better at least that's what I'm telling myself, [emoji1787].
I've been contemplating on doing a bigger build on a trailer for about a year. I finally had an opportunity to pick up a propane tank that had the end caps cut off and also a piece for the fire box. Let my adventure begin.
Tomorrow I'm picking up a trailer frame bare bones no axle just the frame. Once again just happen to stumble upon it. At this point I think it has to happen, fate.
For the past year I have been looking at many of the professional pitbuilders designs. Most of these newer builders are running airflow analysis on their pits. I don't have that type of program nor do I have the energy or money to spend to build a pit just to run an analysis and find out I did something wrong. Most of these professional pit builders have no calculators of any sort it was trial and error with their analysis machine and at this point have nailed it when it comes to a direct flow offset smoker.
With that being said I have high hopes that some of you folks can help me. I'm looking for somebody that has a fatstacks or primitive pits 250 gallon pit. I'm really only looking for a couple questions to be answered.
Firebox diameter and length?
Throat size?
Baffle plate or directional plate size?
Collector length, width and depth?
Chimney diameter and length?

Any pictures would be Great feel free to PM me pictures if you don't want to post them.
I appreciate any info. Thanks [emoji120]

IMG_20230224_175424574_HDR.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Search around for owners on IG and PM them. They can help you. As for your build whatever you do do not use the current pit building calculators for a pit your size. I did a lot of research as well and talked with company owners of reputable pit builders. This is what I found

Firebox for 250gallon and up usually around 25% of CC volume. Square or round is fine it is just personal preference. Be careful with how much insulation you add as you will increase the oven affect which will decrease smoke flavor

Throat size is close to pit calculator and can be increased/decreased based on baffle plate or not. With yours being flat end I would recommend going with Frank Cox baffle design as you will be able maximize grate space and keep even temps across grates

Stacks at 250 gallon range are usually 6”. I would stick with that for now. Regarding length this is where calculators fubar the design. If running a collector I would recommend around 6’. If running soft 90’like moberg you can go 5’. You can run long stack like primitive which will increase the draw of the pit but I would keep it under 8’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search around for owners on IG and PM them. They can help you. As for your build whatever you do do not use the current pit building calculators for a pit your size. I did a lot of research as well and talked with company owners of reputable pit builders. This is what I found

Firebox for 250gallon and up usually around 25% of CC volume. Square or round is fine it is just personal preference. Be careful with how much insulation you add as you will increase the oven affect which will decrease smoke flavor

Throat size is close to pit calculator and can be increased/decreased based on baffle plate or not. With yours being flat end I would recommend going with Frank Cox baffle design as you will be able maximize grate space and keep even temps across grates

Stacks at 250 gallon range are usually 6”. I would stick with that for now. Regarding length this is where calculators fubar the design. If running a collector I would recommend around 6’. If running soft 90’like moberg you can go 5’. You can run long stack like primitive which will increase the draw of the pit but I would keep it under 8’

Thank you so much for the info, [emoji120]. I'm not on any social media outlet unfortunately. But I definitely can see how that would be a great advantage, lol.
Chuds had a live stream last night, there I asked him about a firebox size for that particular 250 gallon propane tank. He stated to stay with the same diameter as the tank and go 30 in minimum in length.
Seems kind of big to me, I definitely want longer for better fire management. I will be going with a semi insulated firebox, mainly just on the bottom where the coal bed is That's what I did with my last build.
I have not seen Franks baffle plate design on any of his YouTube content. Maybe if you have something and you would like to share that would be great. I will share a link to a video that seems to be the direction I'm going to go with my baffle / directional plate , let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/F18FQZivqfQ

Let me start by saying thank you for the great information. I'm not on any social media platform unfortunately, but I could see how that would help me, [emoji1787].
Chud had a live stream last night, there I asked him about a firebox that would be appropriate for a 250 gallon build. He stated to keep the firebox the same diameter as the tank and at least 30 in long. I will definitely be doing a longer firebox to help with fire management and as far as insulation it will be semi-insulated mainly just for the coal bed.
I have not seen Franks baffle plate/directional plate on any of his videos. If you have a link or nowhere I might find this I would love that information. I will drop a link to a video I found.

Thanks again

https://youtu.be/F18FQZivqfQ

Thanks for the great information, [emoji120]. Unfortunately I'm not on any type of social media platform, definitely could be handy in that regard.
Chud had a live stream last night, there I asked him about what size firebox he thought would be correct for a 250 gallon. He stated to go with the same diameter as the cook chamber and about 30 in long. Definitely will be going with a longer firebox to aid with fire management.
I have not seen Franks baffle plate design. If you have any information or links I would love to see them.

Thanks

Thanks for the great information, 🙏. Unfortunately I'm not on any type of social media platform, definitely could be handy in that regard.
Chud had a live stream last night, there I asked him about what size firebox he thought would be correct for a 250 gallon. He stated to go with the same diameter as the cook chamber and about 30 in long. Definitely will be going with a longer firebox to aid with fire management.
I have not seen Franks baffle plate design. If you have any information or links I would love to see them.

Thanks

Sorry for the repeat guys, [emoji33]. For some reason my post weren't coming through I thought it was on my end, apparently not. [emoji120]

@Back9Q , your PMs storage is full, [emoji1787]

So I'm guessing nobody here has a fat stacks, primitive pit, Mill scale or anything of the such, [emoji1787]

Back