Offset smoker build - advice apprecieated

blockhd

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Rok
Hello dear Brethren!

Not even a month after i finished my UDS build, i am already into new project - offset smoker build. Idea is to have a close copy of Franklin BBQ pit, but as i am completely new to this, i would like to share this project with you from beginning - R&D until the end - perfect brisket :pray::pray::pray:

So, main dimensions are like this:

Firebox - main body is double walled (front and rear are single wall)
Internal diameter - 17.5 inch
Lenght - 19.7 inch

Cooking chamber
Internal diameter - 19.5 inch
Lenght - 39.7 inch

Firebox to Cooking chamber openine
Half moonish - 45 sq inch surface area ( recommended 37.91)

Smoke collector
Height: 6 inch

Smoke stack
Diameter: 4 inches
Height 20 inch above smoke collector

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

A few pics of 3D data.

tENWZ5p.png

cIPZUu8.png

Please let me know what you think and if you have anything at all that i should be wary of, please let me know.

I am not sure if Franklins pit has a baffle... What kind of baffle should i install? I will also install a shelf for water pan.

Thank you for the input!

Some quick suggestions:

* Larger firebox (for more flexibility in how you run your fire) with no lip on the door opening at the bottom so you can easily scrape/sweep out the ash; also be sure to include a "grease dam" in the design so grease can't flow from the cook chamber and into the firebox.

* Larger cook chamber (you may want to load it up; I have a 24" x 60" cook chamber and have appreciated the extra space).

* Go with a taller stack with a baffle/damper at the top for airflow control.

* Make the air intake adjustable; I like your concept of having the air openings down at fire level instead of higher.

* A grease drain with a ball valve is a handy feature.

Some quick suggestions:

* Larger firebox (for more flexibility in how you run your fire) with no lip on the door opening at the bottom so you can easily scrape/sweep out the ash; also be sure to include a "grease dam" in the design so grease can't flow from the cook chamber and into the firebox.

* Larger cook chamber (you may want to load it up; I have a 24" x 60" cook chamber and have appreciated the extra space).

* Go with a taller stack with a baffle/damper at the top for airflow control.

* Make the air intake adjustable; I like your concept of having the air openings down at fire level instead of higher.

* A grease drain with a ball valve is a handy feature.

Hey Connor,

Thank you so much for the input ... In fact, we are producing two pits, one for my brother and one for me... We were just contemplating, as backyards in Slovenia and/or Europe in general are not very large and large backyard BBQ get togethers are not really a thing, that we should actially make the smoker smaller 🤔 and maybe use reverse flow so we can maximize real estate with two grates in the more temperature stable reverse flow design.

There is no question, id make 500 gallong if i could put it somewhere 😄😄

Hey Connor,
...we should actially make the smoker smaller 🤔 and maybe use reverse flow so we can maximize real estate with two grates in the more temperature stable reverse flow design...

I see your point about smaller back yard sizes over there. Maybe you and your brother could start the tradition of large BBQ gatherings in your country.

That's a good idea about the reverse flow maximizing your usable cooking area. I don't have any experience with reverse flow cookers, so hopefully others can provide some tips on that topic.

Hey Rok,

You might want to consider putting a small lip/deflector over the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber to help prevent flare ups.

Otherwise looks like a good design. I'd second the vote for a little bigger, but I understand your space constraints.

Cheers,

David

I'm a huge fan of Reverse Flow as it eliminates hot spots (when done correctly). I've got a 250 gallon RF tank from Johnson Smokers and that entire food grate, left to right, and front to back is within 5°. This makes the entire grate usable when cooking, and it stops you from having to rotate / turn meat during the cooking process.

Otherwise I can't help you with design, but good luck on the build.

I have both a traditional flow and a reverse flow smoker, both 24x48. I have come to the conclusion I am not a fan of reverse flow. Yes it is very even over the entire grate, but in my opinion there is too much radiant heat coming up from the bottom off the reverse flow plate which I don't like. I prefer a cooker where the heat is coming from the top down, mainly to render fat caps when cooking brisket fat cap up. But truth be told, you may love it. Just depends on your cooking style.

I am very interested in playing with a scoop type of baffle in a traditional flow, which supposedly will eliminate the hot spot near the fire box and even out the temps making the entire grate usable.

Back