THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was at Trader Joe's today and took a look at their oils. They sell a canola oil that says it uses no solvents, and says "expeller pressed" but does not say "cold". Should I assume this is a reasonable replacement for the cheap stuff?

I was at Trader Joe's today and took a look at their oils. They sell a canola oil that says it uses no solvents, and says "expeller pressed" but does not say "cold". Should I assume this is a reasonable replacement for the cheap stuff?
I would say that as Canola goes, yes

Several years ago many of the farmers were growing rapeseed because it was best for making bio-diesel.
Don;t throwout that vegetable oil, it still has a very good use. I use it to clean paint, car grease and grime off my hands. put it on and work it in before ysinf soap and water, works much better that just soap and water.

hijack off

And Crazy Harry has soft, supple hands.

Or so I heard
Then so do I. Been doing this for decades. Only downside is that I get yelled at for washing up in the kitchen. Stainless steel cleans up better than ceramic. Veg oil helps there too.

Bucc's - What is the source plant for vegetable oil down under? I haven't seen any mention of it. I know what vegetable oil typically is in the US. Just want to know if it's the same in OZ.

First trip to the market since my crash course in oil education. I'm amazed at how little I previously paid attention to the oil aisle. Thanks again bucc for starting this thread. I think the major point that was missed on this subject was the ease of using better cooking oil. The better choices are right there next to the bad ones and the cost is not too much.

First trip to the market since my crash course in oil education. I'm amazed at how little I previously paid attention to the oil aisle. Thanks again bucc for starting this thread. I think the major point that was missed on this subject was the ease of using better cooking oil. The better choices are right there next to the bad ones and the cost is not too much.

What did you get? I am going this weekend and would really like to know what you got out of all your research. No bbq secrets, right?:mrgreen:

We threw out all oils but the good olive and then bought coconut oil for pan frying fish and such months ago. For seasoning we use bacon or butter or both. Gotta have bacon in collard greens and green beans.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I don't think anyone's more than touched on one aspect of this and that is the HUGE counterfeiting that has always gone on with olive oil. There was a lot written about this a few years ago, but the attention has died down quite a bit. A google search pulled up this linky that has lots of linkys to other articles on various topics.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fake-olive-oil-2012-1?op=1

In all honesty I don't know how serious the problem is. I have read articles that in some random testings the majority of extra virgin olive oil is not extra virgin, and that even a significant amount of olive oil on the market isn't even olive oil :shock: From my experience, I do not doubt the former at all. How significant that is I don't know. We get different EVOOs for different purposes. Some obviously are not EVOO, and we know and accept that, even though they are labeled as such. I do know there are certain brands that I much prefer over others for flavor, but for all I know they could be flavored lard.

What did you get? I am going this weekend and would really like to know what you got out of all your research. No bbq secrets, right?:mrgreen:

Your right I don't believe in bbq secrets. No secrets among the brethren. Got some coconut oil and cold expeller olive oil.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I don't think anyone's more than touched on one aspect of this and that is the HUGE counterfeiting that has always gone on with olive oil. There was a lot written about this a few years ago, but the attention has died down quite a bit. A google search pulled up this linky that has lots of linkys to other articles on various topics.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fake-olive-oil-2012-1?op=1

In all honesty I don't know how serious the problem is. I have read articles that in some random testings the majority of extra virgin olive oil is not extra virgin, and that even a significant amount of olive oil on the market isn't even olive oil :shock: From my experience, I do not doubt the former at all. How significant that is I don't know. We get different EVOOs for different purposes. Some obviously are not EVOO, and we know and accept that, even though they are labeled as such. I do know there are certain brands that I much prefer over others for flavor, but for all I know they could be flavored lard.

Yea we discussed that. Got a little heated, guess people are passionate about oil. You must of missed that page.

Finally just found a source of Australian olive oil close by in Toronto. They ship through Canada and the US. I'll be driving to Toronto before the end of the year so will check out the store and their tasting room. They give a lot of detail including chemical composition, tasting profile, year of harvest, etc..

Note: Just the first and last bottle of the four are from Australia. Not sure how the middles from Italy and Peru showed up in my search.

http://www.oliveoilemporium.com/Onl...e,ProductName&txtSearch=Australian+Olive+oils

Bucc's - What is the source plant for vegetable oil down under? I haven't seen any mention of it. I know what vegetable oil typically is in the US. Just want to know if it's the same in OZ.

Bro, "Vegetable oil" is a legal hole for manufacturers to use pretty much any oil and they do.

Here are some used in combinations, vegetables don't have oil so think seeds :sunflower oil, safflower oil, soyabean oil, avocado oil, canola oil, olive oil, peanut oil, heat and chemical processed.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/03/06/3708514.htm

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. In the US I usually see soybean oil labeled as "Vegetable Oil".

Here's one example and there are others.

http://www.louana.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=78&catID=39&pcatID=37#nutrition-facts

I read that about 65% of USA oil consumption is soybean.
That is a shelf unstable product, it goes rancid faster than raw butter, so you absolutely know it has been processed so that it has a shelf life.

Also why it is marketed as "Vegetable Oil" rather than soybean oil.

>
Dr. Mercola

Processed food is perhaps the most damaging aspect of most people’s diet, contributing to poor health and chronic disease. One of the primary culprits is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), the dangers of which I touch on in virtually every article on diet I write.

The second culprit is partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

These two ingredients, either alone or in combination, can be found in virtually all processed foods and one can make a compelling argument that the reliance on these two foods is a primary contributing factor for most of the degenerative diseases attacking Americans today.Hydrogenated oil1 is made by forcing hydrogen gas into the oil at high pressure. Virtually any oil can be hydrogenated. Margarine is a good example, in which nearly half of the fat content is trans fat. The process that creates partially hydrogenated oil alters the chemical composition of essential fatty acids, such as reducing or removing linolenic acid, a highly reactive triunsaturated fatty acid, transforming it into the far less reactive linoleic acid, thereby greatly preventing oxidative rancidity when used in cooking.<

This product is even worse

Here is my problem

"and one can make a compelling argument that the reliance on these two foods is a primary contributing factor for most of the degenerative diseases attacking Americans today"

Okay, why don't you. Are you a scientist or a talk show person?

Back