Brisket Success: injection and long hold

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,

I've learned so much from all of you. I just enjoyed a cook that came out great so I thought I'd share what I did.

*9 1/2 lb Wild Fork wet aged (17 days) prime brisket. Trimmed but left a thicker fat cap than usual.

*Injected with Meat Church brisket injection, but made it less than 1/2 recommended strength. I didn't want it to be too salty or have the injection flavor overpower the natural beef flavor.
*Next day I toweled off excess injection and rubbed w/ vegetable oil as binder.
Gave light coat of Meat Church Holy Cow. Let that melt in as it gradually came up to room temp. Then another coating of myown salt free brisket rub (Hanks recipe).

*On to the KBQ, fat cap up, at 225 w/ two water pans. Fuel was Honey Crisp Apple wood and White / Post Oak. Wood was dense with a good amount of moisture left, but not too much.

*Over 7 hours I gradually brought temp upto 275. By then the flat was at 180 & point was at 165. I separated the two muscles. Left Point on for another 90 minuets or so till it was up to 185.

*Wrapped in butcher paper soaked in Wagyu tallow. Put in pan and poured some more tallow over top of wrapped meat. Covered pan w/ foil.

*In to 150 degree oven for 18 hours. Brought to and allowed to cool down to 140 and sliced.

This was far and away not only the best brisket I've ever cooked, but the best I've ever tasted. Moist, flavorful and tender as butter. I fed 15 people at a neighborhood BBQ I hosted and they all said it was the best brisket the'd ever had as well. I'll be doing it this way until I find something better. I know there are so many variables and some you have limited control over, e.g. the qualities of the specific cut, the weather, the wood, etc. I have to believe that the combo of injecting and the long hold were the biggest factors that contributed to the end product. I also think the great quality fuel helped to. A very clean and sweet tasing smoke that wasn't at all overpowering.

I hope this was helpful for someone.

Best regards!
JD

jjdbike's pics be like................

73tpq9.gif

I can't see the pics...

-D

jjdbike's pics be like................

73tpq9.gif

Glad the cook was a success! How’d the chicken turn out?

Sorry folks,
I thought I attached it but must have done something wrong. No I realized I didn't complete all of the steps to upload them.
The chicken turned out well. It was surprisingly easy to get up to temp and crisp skin using the vortex. I dry brined and left in fridge uncovered overnight. I sprayed a couple times throughout the cook w/ butter flavored pam. Where I went wrong w/ the skin was saucing. I diluted the sauce (Rufus Tieg sweet honey sauce) with apple juice, got it hot and dunked the pieces in the sauce and put back on the grill 3 times. The first time the skin was still crisp. The second and third was too much moisture to keep the skin crisp. It was still good anyway.
JD

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 128
Wouldn't it be great to have a time machine and bring back some barbecue men from yesteryear for a taste of your brisket? For instance, my Grandfather was a barbecue man, and in the '50's, '60's and '70's was cooking select grade meat with salt, pepper and often onion powder. If someone would have told him about injections, cooking hot-n-fast, USDA Prime, Wagyu, and hot holding times he would thought they were nuts.

Wouldn't it be great to have a time machine and bring back some barbecue men from yesteryear for a taste of your brisket? For instance, my Grandfather was a barbecue man, and in the '50's, '60's and '70's was cooking select grade meat with salt, pepper and often onion powder. If someone would have told him about injections, cooking hot-n-fast, USDA Prime, Wagyu, and hot holding times he would thought they were nuts.

Haha, yes. Maybe I am nuts 😀 OCD for sure.
JD

Haha, yes. Maybe I am nuts 😀 OCD for sure.
JD

I've been thinking about your comment about the time machine. How very many things have changed significantly since our grand parents prime time. I think priorities, standards and tastes have changed. Folks who have lived through the Great Depression and other financially difficult times tend to defiantly be more frugal with their material resources.

From what I've heard, BBQ used to be an inexpensive way to use less than desirable cuts to make something appealing. Now, BBQ seems to be a luxury item often used for gathering, celebrating and treating friends and neighbors to the very best product we can produce. Even to the point of showing off. We've become accustomed to high quality meats, includling processes and techniques that make it as moist, tender and flavorful as possible. We're always looking for the newest technology and trick to up our game. It's literally become a competition.

This is not at all to take away any value, credibility or deliciousness of old school, down home inexpensive basic, staring forward meat, S&P, over a fire of some sort.

I think both have their time and place. In my opinion one is not better than the other. I love and appreciate both.

Respectfully,
JD

Looks great, nothing like nailing a brisket. The more difficult part is recreating it :p

Thanks!
Agreed!
That's why I try to document what I did. So many variables, especially the specific piece of meat. I agree with and appreciate a quote from Aaron Franklin. "Smoking a brisket isn't had, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong".
JD

Back