THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All this talk about fat has me wanting french fries made with tallow. Ive never made real fries before. Ive got some beef fat in the freezer from my last brisket. Ive never made tallow before either. I wonder if i can find any good recipes for tallow searching google?

I mean, I leave my estrogen patch discussions for the weekend :laugh:.

:pound:

I'm hoping you're not referring to me (google and regurgitate), brother, but in case you are wondering, the reason I need to google links for discussions online is because I have a lot of difficulty remembering books and lectures I attended 20 years ago, 10 years ago, heck, sometimes I have difficulty remembering a lecture I went to one year ago. I'm 51 now, I did a lot of my health research in my 20s and 30s, a lot less in my 40s. The last 4 years or so I've become a full-time caregiver to my spouse and I no longer have time to read or research the latest health news. I'm lucky if I read a book in one year and now it's not health stuff, it's mediumship stuff, Edgar Cayce stuff. I find this kind of thread helpful to refresh my thinking and re-examine why I believe something because I've forgotten the details over years. I am not perfect and since attending eating disorders classes I'm finally not trying to be perfect anymore. Yippee!! :clap2: I'm thrilled if I can get to 80%, what I consider an 'A', in what I'm doing and as far as I can tell, I've got a way to go.

The surest terms to look for would be "cold expeller pressed". That would mean the oil was never heated and the method of extraction was via a mechanical means, versus heat or chemical.

With olive oils, extra virgin is the key, but, as was mentioned above, there is a great deal of fraudulent oil out there, based upon the most common testing protocols. The surest measure of getting a true 'Extra Virgin' olive oil is to know the source and that they have allowed the sourcing to be verified or tested.

Here is an interesting link to a report LINK Report on California olive oils

Good stuff here thanks. I use the California brand olive oil. What brands and other style oils do you guys like? I also use planters peanut oil.

We use olive oil when we can. I would prefer to buy the Aussie stuff (or anything but the crap in our stores) but can't find a whole lot. Most of it is "Italian" which doesn't mean anything. Trader Joe's and whole foods even don't have much outside the norm.

We use canola oil for a few other things, but we don't go through much of it.

I personally think virgin olive oil is a bit over-rated. It's nice to have an olive oil with a little body that's been around, an olive oil that knows how to handle the food and make sure dinner is a good time. I think what we're really looking for is puta madre olive oil rather than virgin olive oil.

I personally think virgin olive oil is a bit over-rated. It's nice to have an olive oil with a little body that's been around, an olive oil that knows how to handle the food and make sure dinner is a good time. I think what we're really looking for is puta madre olive oil rather than virgin olive oil.

Umm olive oil that knows how to handle food and makes din din fun...... Who'da thunk :biggrin1:

John

I would like to hear more about this, Buccs, when you have a chance. What is considered fresh enough to do this? I'm thinking you mean some time period before the best before date is reached…. yes?

I learned this from a local producer Kathy.
He marks the date of the product on the container, and says here the Olive Oil producers are mounting a campaign to get that nation wide, then a customer can check and buy if the oil is fresh, under a year old.
Those wine box containers are amazing at vacuum sealing and preventing oxidation, the higher the antioxidants the better.
Another Australian invention!:wink:

Back