THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooking oils have been a hot topic (no pun intended) for me since the late 90's.

My ex was devastated after her mom died of colon cancer at age 62 in 1996. I was too. Still consider my MIL the nicest person I ever met. Her death didn't make sense to anyone because her daily diet seemed much better than most of us. My ex went on a nutritional crusade looking for answers.

She discovered the Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation ( http://ppnf.org/ ) first, founded on the research of Weston Price and Francis Pottenger. We visited PPNF's home office in San Diego on a trip to CA while out to see her dad who lived in Carlsbad. May be mistaken but I believe PPNF has hand-written research documentation from both Price and Pottenger.

It was around that time we learned of someone that had split off from PPNF, not satisfied with their low key approach to disseminating what she considered important information.

Sally Fallon (now Sally Fallon Morell), author of Nourishing Traditions. My wife was so intrigued by the book she got in contact with Sally and she ended up staying at our home while in the Detroit area giving a seminar one weekend.

Around that time Sally started the Weston A. Price Foundation ( www.westonaprice.org ) based in the D.C. area. My wife asked her about starting a local chapter of the Foundation to help people looking for nutritional answers. Sally agreed to it. My ex and I rarely speak anymore but I have to give her credit for starting the very first local chapter of the Weston A. Price Foundation. There are now hundreds of local chapters worldwide.

Have not spoken with Sally in over 10 years (long story) but still believe in Price's research. Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is a must read for anyone serious about nutrition.

Animal fats are best.

Last edited:
Lemme see if I follow your logic Mr. Ninja, someone who can read and source reliable objective science based sources posts a statement that the standard in countries X Y & Z are in fact higher than certain European countries then someone else posts a link to another internet website supporting their point with evidence and findings, and you, like a standard regular person find yourself in the position of having a chance to tell me that I was being a rude ignorant sumbitch displaying a huge insecurity complex, fascist nationalism and bigotry by posting such a douche comment based on the anecdotal opinion my sphincter yelled out to me at the time and so you make your justified gentle quip, forcing me to realize that in fact my colon's ego may be misleading me and I may indeed be making a complete c@nt of myself but in public this time, perhaps I ought to sit down and chill and have a nice glass of vegetable oil and stick to embarrassing my family and friends instead.

Oh, and to answer your question, why don't you ask my highly fatuous meglomaniacal bighorn rectum? :mrgreen:

You know, I think that is spot on old chap...now, someone pass me the cod liver oil and a big farkin' spoon!

I went to a talk given by Sally Fallon in the nineties and she is singly responsible for my turnaround view of traditional fats and traditional foods. Before Sally Fallon, I believed the prevalent information that animal fats were unhealthy.

I spent about a year and a half in eating disorders classes and got a turnaround view there for diminished foods, marketed as diet foods. Because of my exposure to Sally Fallon I was able to get my head around that concept more quickly.

My personal stand is diminished food, be that processed food or "diet" food, is responsible for a lot of illness today.

Thanks Buccs. Vege oil in the trash. I thought Canola was OK, but I'm not that read up on the chemistry.

What I can say is that you are correct regarding Aussie Olive oil production. We have a lot of producers in our family and circle of friends. Upwards of 50,000 Olive trees. Processing is extremely strict, and MAN, you should taste that Oil just after it has settled. Totally different to anything you will get in a supermarket.

Cheers!

Bill

So, for the slower amongst us. Olive oil for most sauteing etc and lard for deep frying would be the way to go?

Matt

So, for the slower amongst us. Olive oil for most sauteing etc and lard for deep frying would be the way to go?

Matt

Correct.

Unless you Google more about it and find additional conflicting studies :becky:. I say this as I drink my morning coffee, which depending on the given week and study you read is either killing me or not killing me as I type :loco::crazy::blah:. Then tonight I'll drink a few glasses of red wine with dinner, which again depending on the week and study you choose to believe is either helping my heart or murdering me slowly :clap2:.

IMHO... EVOO works great for sauteing, salad dressings, and stuff. I like the taste.
Then tried it for baking... not so much. Left a, well... a taste that wasn't quite right.

Correct.

Unless you Google more about it and find additional conflicting studies :becky:. I say this as I drink my morning coffee, which depending on the given week and study you read is either killing me or not killing me as I type :loco::crazy::blah:. Then tonight I'll drink a few glasses of red wine with dinner, which again depending on the week and study you choose to believe is either helping my heart or murdering me slowly :clap2:.

What are you saying, brother? :shock: You don't want to talk about the harmful ingredients in shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, hair gel... that we use on our largest organ, skin, every day -- even though we know what's in those detergents etc. gets into our blood stream because of what we've learned about nicotine, morphine and estrogen patches? :wacko:

:becky:

I've read nothing and can source no information that debunks the info in this thread. I see no conflicting data anywhere. Just a case of someone wandering into a conversation with nothing to add and unwilling to learn.

What are you saying, brother? :shock: You don't want to talk about the harmful ingredients in shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, hair gel... that we use on our largest organ, skin, every day -- even though we know what's in those detergents etc. gets into our blood stream because of what we've learned about nicotine, morphine and estrogen patches? :wacko:

:becky:

I mean, I leave my estrogen patch discussions for the weekend :laugh:.

Matt

Correct.

AI dun heared about this fella, save hiss own self a fyew dollaz, waren't ever gowin ta believe no mumbo jumbo, no sirree, he was way too smart fer dat..used sump oil to season his cayest irrn and to sharp'n his knaives up real good.

Correlating your coffee and red wine intake to this post is intellectually dishonest.
There are going to be people who read up and sift and evaluate, and there are going to be people who think they know it all and don't.
That cannot be helped, but trying to make yourself right by NOT reading the links and providing opposing evidence is just gas bagging on about nothing.
Either put up or but out.
Thanks.

Last edited:
AI dun heared about this fella, save hiss own self a fyew dollaz, waren't ever gowin ta believe no mumbo jumbo, no sirree, he was way too smart fer dat..used sump oil to season his cayest irrn and to sharp'n his knaives up real good.

Correlating your coffee and red wine intake to this post is intellectually dishonest.
There are going to be people who read up and sift and evaluate, and there are going to be people who think they know it all and don't.
That cannot be helped, but trying to make yourself right by NOT reading the links and providing opposing evidence is just gas bagging on about nothing.
Either put up or but out.
Thanks.

Buc it really isn't that man. This thread is no different than any other thread on any other forum online that involves an "intellectual discussion". No one is going to change anyone's opinion here. It simply never happens online (at least not that anyone will admit for the most part).

But much like many threads online this one is very much a lot of "hey let me look up stuff on Google real quick and regurgitate it here and give my quick opinion on that to make it sound like I have thought this through and read about said subject for multiple years vs just forming a knee jerk opinion for arguments sake to make a point that sounds cool".

Not saying there aren't those that have actually thought this through, but not everyone has. And that was my point. Also the initial point I made was to bring to light those that choose to say "hey this is not good for you and should be avoided because it can have bad effects on you in the long term", but those same people probably don't do everything healthy to the same extent as their passion about the immediate article at hand that is getting whipped hard. i.e. my comment about the smoker that commented on my aspartame intake.

If that isn't relevant then the mods can decide that. My point can easily be countered by saying "well then why bring anything to light then?". And I don't mean that educating people about food/health decisions and people isn't necessary because it is, but some of those that choose to slam a particular product online might get a little opposition to that point. And for me it is to point out that those that stand and say "THIS PRODUCT IS BAD AND WILL HAVE BAD EFFECTS ON YOU IN THE LONG RUN" probably digest something/use something on their body that they don't think is bad, but others could post a very similar thread on how awful it is for you.

That is it. If that point isn't relative to this discussion at all then they can shut me down, but as with many "discussions" on this forum folks don't always agree on the subject at hand or see it in the same light as others intended (go figure......bbq people with differing opinions :becky:). Should I still butt out because my responses aren't in 100% accurate alignment of how you initial thought of this thread would go???

Buc it really isn't that man. This thread is no different than any other thread on any other forum online that involves an "intellectual discussion". No one is going to change anyone's opinion here. It simply never happens online (at least not that anyone will admit for the most part).
I think that reveals your personal position and attitude very well, and I think that this shows you think you are in a big club with this view and so you will be popular scoffing at the threads intent.
And I think you are dead wrong, I think that the type of open minded curious person will go seek some quality information and be happy they did so.
The other mob won't, but that isn't who I am trying to reach.

But much like many threads online this one is very much a lot of "hey let me look up stuff on Google real quick and regurgitate it here and give my quick opinion on that to make it sound like I have thought this through and read about said subject for multiple years vs just forming a knee jerk opinion for arguments sake to make a point that sounds cool".

Assumption but so what, I read scholarly findings and did not post links...but the links to laypersosns language explanations are no bad thing?
Honestly, you are coming across here as resentfulthat others are reading up and taking note?
Not saying there aren't those that have actually thought this through, but not everyone has. And that was my point. Also the initial point I made was to bring to light those that choose to say "hey this is not good for you and should be avoided because it can have bad effects on you in the long term", but those same people probably don't do everything healthy to the same extent as their passion about the immediate article at hand that is getting whipped hard. i.e. my comment about the smoker that commented on my aspartame intake.
One step at a time is how we ALL get everything we do done. I do not get the attitude of shrugging it off and saying because I eat too much red meat I may as well smoke cigarettes as well because ..well...because if you are not perfectly healthy in every aspect then you shouldn't ever be healthy on any aspect, nor point it out when people you care for may not know that something common can be changed simply without inconvenience?
Baffling point of view

If that isn't relevant then the mods can decide that. My point can easily be countered by saying "well then why bring anything to light then?". And I don't mean that educating people about food/health decisions and people isn't necessary because it is, (that isn't coming through)but some of those that choose to slam a particular product online might get a little opposition to that point. And for me it is to point out that those that stand and say "THIS PRODUCT IS BAD AND WILL HAVE BAD EFFECTS ON YOU IN THE LONG RUN" probably digest something/use something on their body that they don't think is bad, but others could post a very similar thread on how awful it is for you.Okay, I addressed this above. It makes no sense to me that a scientist who discovers the ill effects and chronic harm that consuming a common food has should remain silent because people are eating McRibs. That is just bananas, isn't it?

That is it. If that point isn't relative to this discussion at all then they can shut me down, but as with many "discussions" on this forum folks don't always agree on the subject at hand or see it in the same light as others (go figure......bbq people with differing opinions :becky:). Should I still butt out because my responses aren't in 100% accurate alignment of how you initial thought of this thread would go???

Again, an anecdotal commentary, but be honest.
You have mocked others and their comments and especially their links, all the while all you contribute is an attitude and a theory.
Please present some links to data and studies and findings and give everyone some reason to think something other than you are just scoffing.

That's all I ask, fnbish.

Again, an anecdotal commentary, but be honest.
You have mocked others and their comments and especially their links, all the while all you contribute is an attitude and a theory.
Please present some links to data and studies and findings and give everyone some reason to think something other than you are just scoffing.

That's all I ask, fnbish.

So I just need to search google and submit links to be an adequate conversational adversary?? Is that all it takes?? Regurgitate within a 3 second google search or else I'm simply anecdotal?? My friends 6yr old can google...........

So I just need to search google and submit links to be an adequate conversational adversary?? Is that all it takes?? Regurgitate within a 3 second google search or else I'm simply anecdotal?? My friends 6yr old can google...........

You don't really need this explained to you, you are just being ____
It's the site you google to that counts.
Your point is completely toolish, if we presented you with documentation from a scientific body you would simply squeal
"Writing on paper??? My ten year old can write?" by all accounts.

Back