So, what's with all the thin black rubber gloves? Everyone on YouTube videos wearing black gloves on BBQ channels...?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,
Ok, well, while anticipating the arrival of my offset in Sept....of course I"m watching lots of YouTube videos.

I'm trying to pick up tips and pointers that apparently have evolved a bit since I list lit a stick.

One thing I see CONSTANTLY, on the videos...every one is wearing these black, somewhat thin rubbery type gloves.

What's he deal with that? I mean, they aren't thick...so, they can't be terribly heat protective.

I guess I could see in a restaurant setting for health code or something, but many of these videos are of people working at home.

Are people squeamish about touching raw or cooked meat or something?

I've cooked in restaurants (a LONG time ago)...never used gloves there.

I've been cooking at home a LONG time, and I love my tools and gadgets, but often I do find my hands are the best tools I have..I just make sure and wash them.

So...has anyone else noticed the black glove army out there on BBQ videoland on YouTube?

Do YOU use these black gloves with any regularity? If so, please let me know why, I'm genuinely puzzled about their appearance and use case.

And finally...what they hell are they exactly...where do you get them?

Ok..that's my Monday rant on Tuesday.....
;)

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I wear them all the time to cut down on hand washing while trimming and seasoning meat.

That being said mine aren’t black, they are the even cooler more awesome purple!

I too use them all the time to cut down on hand washing while trimming and seasoning, as I tend to wash my hands so much that my skin starts to get irritated.

The other reason I use them is checking, moving, and pulling meat that's in the smoker, and what you might not notice in the videos your watching is a lot of these guys are doing the same and they have cotton gloves underneath the black gloves which helps insulate from the heat.

They don't have to be black, and they are just powder free nitrile gloves which you can find online pretty easily. I buy the cotton liners at Harbor Freight, but I'm sure you can find those online as well.

I am not calling anyone out on this so do not think I am referring to any person in particular. Some of what I am about to say was already posted in a thread on the Wood-pile page.

Wearing gloves is not an excuse for hand washing. Proper glove usage requires you wash your hands BEFORE you put on a gloves. If you come in contact with something unsanitary wearing gloves, the surface of your gloves are just as contaminated as your bare hand would be. Too many times I have seen workers in a food retail environment take my money to pay for my order with gloved hands and go back to doing food prep wearing the same gloves they had on while running the register. Anyone else get disgusted by this?

Here is another nightmare scenario. Wearing gloves and prepping raw chicken. Once the chicken is prepped, you get another cutting board to prep some raw vegetables that will be served uncooked. You keep those same gloves on to keep do your vegetable prepping. "I don't need to wash my hands because I am wearing these food safety gloves!"

Wearing gloves is not an excuse to not properly wash your hands when it is warranted. Food safety gloves are only safe if they are worn properly and replaced as soon as they have the outside surface contaminated. Other wise it is the same as using dirty hands. I don't wear gloves all the time when I am do food prepping, but I am washing my hands constantly.

Here is another nightmare scenario. Wearing gloves and prepping raw chicken. Once the chicken is prepped, you get another cutting board to prep some raw vegetables that will be served uncooked. You keep those same gloves on to keep do your vegetable prepping. "I don't need to wash my hands because I am wearing these food safety gloves!"

Hmm yeah....I dont think that's what anyone is saying, or doing. Wearing gloves just means my bare skin isn't coming in contact with soap and water 25 times throughout the course of cooking. The gloved hands still get washed, or gloves disposed of.

I use them all the time for reasons mentioned above. They are great for sausage making and cleaning out a smoker too. I don't care about the color i just buy whatever costco has.

I keep nitrile gloves on hand for food prep (and cotton glove liners too for mixing chilled sausage, or handling hot meat), and also the clear 'food service' gloves like you might see workers at Subway wearing. These are very inexpensive and I use them for quick things like making a hamburger patty or when marinating a steak.

Hmm yeah....I dont think that's what anyone is saying, or doing. Wearing gloves just means my bare skin isn't coming in contact with soap and water 25 times throughout the course of cooking. The gloved hands still get washed, or gloves disposed of.

Exactly.

I use them all the time for reasons mentioned above. They are great for sausage making and cleaning out a smoker too. I don't care about the color i just buy whatever costco has.

This right here...also i was sent 2 boxes by my former company during Covid. Might as well use them

I buy the cheap blue ones from Harbor freight. All the COOL kids on the YooToob wear the black ones. I use them mostly with the white cotton gloves underneath to take hot meat off the cooker.

I gave worst case scenarios for how food safety gloves are improperly used. I never accused any person of doing these worst case scenarios. I was taught in food safety class by the Jackson County Health Department that too many uniformed users of food safety gloves are using the wearing of gloves as an excuse for not properly washing their hands on a regular basis. I understand the skin irritations from over-washing your hands too.

In case anyone is interested, the link below has instructions on the proper use of food safety gloves. There is no section on the proper color:

https://dmna.ny.gov/foodservice/docs/toolbox/proper_gloveuse.pdf

Ok...so color, personal preference..haha

Ok..so, if I do the glove thing, I'll likely do purple...for LSU, Mardi Gras....hell, I live in New Orleans, so....

That being said...ok, I can see some points.

I guess I'm just one of those that has never liked wearing gloves much, then again, I've never lived up north where they are really required.

The cotton glove under the rubber (nitrile?) ones, I could see when handling hot stuff.

Can someone send me links to these gloves so I could see what they look like to buy?
What about the rubber/nitrile (?) gloves....do you just get those like an amazon?

I guess in general, I hate having things on my hands. I can't stand to get sticky stuff on my hands....have to wash them ASAP when I get into that...the one exception being, I don't mind working with my foods....greasy, etc..no problem.

But then I do look forward to washing it OFF my hands...been that way since I was a kid.

As for handling hot things....while I do not have the "asbestos" hands I did back in my early restaurant days...I still have a decent tolerance...and when moving meats, etc...I'll usually either use good tongs and/or just the same welders gloves I use for other grill/smoker tasks.

But I'm game to give anything a try...I CAN see them being very useful for pulling pork!!

Are there specific "food grade/save" varieties of these gloves?

Thanks for all the input....very valuable!!

C

Not bragging but being an auto worker my hands get very dirty. My work allows me a pack of 20 nitrile gloves and 4 pairs of cotton gloves per day. I rarely need this many during a day of work so I have accumulated a nice inventory for cooking.

Recycling....

Not bragging but being an auto worker my hands get very dirty. My work allows me a pack of 20 nitrile gloves and 4 pairs of cotton gloves per day. I rarely need this many during a day of work so I have accumulated a nice inventory for cooking.

Ah hell...that's just what I'd call conscientious recycling!!!

;)

cayenne

The cotton glove under the rubber (nitrile?) ones, I could see when handling hot stuff.

Can someone send me links to these gloves so I could see what they look like to buy?
What about the rubber/nitrile (?) gloves....do you just get those like an amazon?

I tried the really cheap 5mil gloves, but they ripped too easily, now I get the 7mil.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-50-pack-x-large-68506.html

Cotton Gloves https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/gloves/string-knit-gloves-6-pair-60640.html

I buy the 200 count ‘blue’ from Sam’s.
I don’t know the ml thickness, but they are ‘25% thicker’ :p

I use em setting up and tearing down the RV dump hoses, painting, finishing wood, mixing insecticides and pesticides, etc.
I have boxes everywhere.

Back