Those dreaming of opening a BBQ shack

Fillmore Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
I think we all dream about having a small BBQ shack that we'll perhaps have open on weekends or maybe just for lunch & dinner. Somewhere between being a dream of having the true ambition to do it. The thing is, and most of us know this.....I have friends who own restaurants and they all say it's tough and that they wouldn't wish it upon their worst enemy, LOL

Well, I'm here to tell ya, I got a taste of it! Being that we own an avocado orchard, we started selling our pollinator avocados to folks on Nextdoor and some other internet based communities. These internet based resources have been a HUGE key to what amounts to an underground network. Because you're selling with private people, it's not exactly open to the public. We created our own email list and consider it private.

We started selling avocados but started adding other things. A neighbor down the street started making keto bread and muffins while another neighbor did her favorite salad dressing. My daughter added hummus, tangerine sherbert and chocolate covered strawberries. It didn't take long before I decided to throw down my BBQ Beef Brisket.

I don't want to write my traditional novel so I'll try to make this a bit brief. I started with 4 briskets and I'm cooking on a Pitmaker Vault. First rude awakening: 60 pounds of brisket yields about 30 pounds of brisket! Each brisket takes about 12-18 minutes to trim & season, and this is with me trying to move fast. Bigger briskets have a higher ratio of fat to meat, so the little guys tend to be a better buy and faster to process. Expensive seasonings from Big Poppa's add-up fast, best to go bulk really fast! Suddenly you realize why Franklin rolls with just S&P...and why he wraps in paper and doesn't sauce...BUT I'd prefer not to dish into his methods: just know, EVERYTHING adds-up! Meat, seasoning, charcoal, wood, sauce and containers.

Fun gave way to work shockingly fast! When I went up to 6 or 8 or more briskets, I found myself standing for hours, my leg getting numb at times. Constantly washing your hands and seasoning will thrash your hands....suddenly you realize wearing gloves is not exactly for germs but rather to protect your hands/skin! Cooking is perhaps the fun part, but then comes managing each brisket and finishing. Slicing & saucing is also hours!!!!

Compliments were HUGE, the usual array of "Best brisket I've ever had" along with the typical "Amazing"....frankly, it's not hard to beat Lucille's touch/dry/tasteless brisket. They get $23/pound so I ran with $19/pound and felt bad taking that much money for what seems like a relatively small amount of food....but each week I sold out and continued to get the accolades. In truth, it's just seasoning, heat n' meat....as long as you don't mess it up, you really can't go wrong. My boxes mixed both flat & point. Just cook until you have a nice bark and then I found a way to save time: after I get color, I drop the brisket in an aluminum tray, add some apple juice, beer and BBQ sauce (all mixed) to about 1/2-inch, cover tight with foil and bump the heat up to 300F to finish. Yeah, it's braising but moist as heck and the bark remains. When done, I pull the tray, open to let the intense heat out for a few minutes and then re-cover and toss a towel over the top to let it rest for several hours. Slice n' sauce and pack into containers: done!

Yes it's fun.....but during all the work, it can quickly become tedious and you spend HOURS of your day. My mark-up hit about 470% which is great....but it still amounts to about $30/hour. I got some kid who wants to become a chef help me so that makes it easier but the Farmer's market we do each week on Saturday is just one day....the idea of cooking for 7 days a week is beyond daunting! This could be a LOT of work and once you go to a legit restaurant you have health inspections, employees and plenty of other things.

So yeah, if you wanna dabble with BBQ shack owner, start with your local internet based communities and fly it under the radar. Lots of restaurant owners started this way and it'll give you a great taste of what it's like.

Lastly, I just started doing my smoked salmon and OMG it's SO MUCH EASIER as compared to brisket! That's in huge demand as well. It's very gratifying having people praise and love your cooking but you'd best be prepared for some serious work and the guilt trip when you tell people you're sold our or threaten to stop doing it. One thing for certain, people are HUNGRY for good BBQ!

Just sayin' & sharin'

FF it sounds like you do have it figured out. Great to see another BBQ Brethren starting to do what they love.

It's great to get your perspective on this.

Clearly you are doing things right and you are also coming from the continuation of a regular business. I'm wondering why (maybe you do) you are not value adding on your Avocado business. In house processing of guacamole or dips containing avocado would make sense to me.

As for the BBQ, just slowly increase the price per pound rather than keep smashing yourself with volume. You should find that point where you can maintain a high quality with a set amount of briskets at a price some people (but not all people) are prepared to pay. Increase your margins that way or you may find yourself prepping 50 briskets for not much more than profit than 10 briskets. As for Franklin, leave his techniques and ideas to him. You seem to be doing what you do with great success.

Certainly, don't go set up a restaurant. Certainly why I'm not doing it and earning plenty in well well paying work I have where I can go home at the end of the day and prep ONE brisket if I feel like it.

Cheers!

Bill

Thaks for sharing this, its really fascinating. It's the classic example of a hobby becoming work if you're not careful. I suppose you never realise theres a huge difference between being able to put the care and attention into one brisket, and then scaling that up in terms of effort and cost, and what that means for both the quality of the product and how much you enjoy the process.

It's clear people love your food though!

Thanks for the insight into your side gig. Many, including myself, want to share our love of great Que with the masse's and offer a better product, at a better price, than the "commercial" locations, but dont want to get over whelmed in our efforts.
Hope everything continues to work out for you, but as I learned from having a concession trailer one time, take time for yourself otherwise you will get burned out and feel that what you Love is just too much work. The result is your product will suffer in quality and sales will drop.

Steve,

I've missed your posts, and often wonder how your endeavor turned out. Glad things are positive for you in these uncharted times.

Great inspirational story, I'm glad to hear your endeavor is doing well.

My daughter has been to Lucile's several times, and she says that "it's tough and dry". I'll tell her to visit your stand and browse the market on a Saturday. Is the market at your farm? if so I still have your address saved from earlier communications.

I'm in the process of possibly planning a trip to San Diego on behalf of an organization to help present a piece of history to the San Diego Air and Space Museum. After the ceremony, I plan to visit my daughter outside of Commerce City for a week. I'd like to make time to stop by and say hello if your manning the food stand at the market.

Kudos

After retiring at 55, I always wanted to learn more about butchering, or maybe deliver motor homes cross country, or cook at the Caseys gas station like I did when I was 16.
I even volunteered one day a week at the food bank and after a few years I just hated having to be somewhere on demand.
I understand the desire to cook and serve up great BBQ, but when it becomes a 12 to 16 hr day after day the fun is gone.
Stick with the parking lot sell till it's gone program.
Ed

Thanx for the insight! I too have been asked why I don’t open up a “shack” or “stand” on multiple occasions. I just don’t want the hobby to turn into a job and then I turn to dislike what I love to do. That’s why I’m learning to go more to the comp route. If I don’t want to do one, I don’t have too. But if I do, I’m all in!

A couple times a year we like to do a bbq for friends and family with about 40-50 people . We usually go all out 4-5 meats, all homemade from scratch sides, sauces and desserts. It's a ton of work but we've learned how to prep things ahead to make it a little easier. It's fun doing it occasionally but I wouldn't want to be doing it every few weeks on top of my regular job.

A couple times a year we like to do a bbq for friends and family with about 40-50 people . We usually go all out 4-5 meats, all homemade from scratch sides, sauces and desserts. It's a ton of work but we've learned how to prep things ahead to make it a little easier. It's fun doing it occasionally but I wouldn't want to be doing it every few weeks on top of my regular job.

Yep! Her family, is not small. Any gathering is minimum 25 people. Something that brings in extended family, and you quickly hit 40+. As soon as I started getting into BBQ, I was asked to bring things to events and I learned real fast how much work it can take when you get into volume. I also made the mistake a few times of thinking "I have room to do 4 picnic porks..." and then getting that same "will this ever end?" reaction when they are done and all need to be shredded and packaged up.

The bulk cooking is fun at times-but this forum has made certain that I keep it as a hobby. I'm entirely too lazy to pursue it for more than that.

Curious as to how you handle permits, insurance, liability, health department, and the litany of other hurdles?

It doesn't sound like he's dealing with any of that. He advocated others to fly under the radar as well.

Handling permits are just that...just go get whatever permit you need. Insurance is like most other insurance. The Health Department doesn't have to be a difficult experience...but they can make it one. The biggest thing is to try to have everything right, by-the-book. They can't complain too much if you're following the rules (although they still like to complain). Just don't worry too much about the HD...do it right, let them come & go, and carry on with your business.

Running a food business isn't much different than running any other business...except for the "continuing education" with multiple HD visits per year.

Having been a restaurant manager and/or owner for over 20 years, and having worked at & owned barbecue restaurants, I relish the thought of diving in again.

Guys.....

I'm am SO SORRY for not getting back to this thread sooner, there's just so much going on. As some of you know, I tend to go novel-length and let my 140wpm fingers roll. I hate leaving-out details which also doesn't help. Let me hit on some of these:

Before I forget, let me explain something. What I do for a living is own & operate an insulation company, we do residential insulation and I run a full office staff with 8 trucks in the field. When I'm not doing that, I have a 10-acre avocado orchard where we also have a large vegetable garden and plenty of fruit trees that we make jam, jellies and juice from. I also need to maintain the electric fence to stop coyotes from getting to our 100 chickens! Adding to that, there's a tree house at the farm which we have on Airbnb and I'm constantly meeting/greeting guest as it's rented almost constantly. Beyond that, I bought a fixer property where I'm in the midst of designing a remodel.....and then we have the Famer's Market that has evolved. It was impractical for us to deliver to everyone so we have them coming to us! But yeah, opening-up a legit restaurant or BBQ shack is NOT something I have the time for. This story illustrates how people can use local internet based communities to take a crack at seeing if their Q is good enough to warrant demand.

But yes, we did offer guacamole and other farm related products, along with jams, jellies and eggs. Some people come for the avocados and buy the brisket.....and some come for the brisket and buy avocados. I also added smoked salmon and that's become huge as well.

And you know what's funny.....I used to think I should keep my recipes and techniques somewhat to myself so I can't be copied: NOW I want to teach people how to make it themselves so they stop nagging, bitching and telling me that I need to keep doing this because they depend on it or want it. Go get a damn smoke-microwave (Traeger) and make your own darn brisket! I mean, sure.....it won't taste like my Vault with genuine oak or hickory but I can't spend my whole week trimming fat, slicing meat and cooking for all these people who are too lazy or inept to do it themselves! LOL

Thanks for sharing this, its really fascinating. It's the classic example of a hobby becoming work if you're not careful. I suppose you never realize there's a huge difference between being able to put the care and attention into one brisket, and then scaling that up in terms of effort and cost, and what that means for both the quality of the product and how much you enjoy the process.

One of the people who buys my brisket told me they have a friend who was a realtor. The realtor started cooking brisket for his family, then his neighbors and then it got so popular that he opened Trudy's BBQ (never heard of it) and he quit being a realtor....all he does is brisket, or so I'm told. So yeah, a LOT of guys start small and things escalate.....I believe this is also Franklin's story!

And YES.....there is a VAST difference between doing 1 or 2 handcrafted briskets that you can manage, tend-to and baby from start to finish. When you start to crank-up the volume, you start looking for ways to be more efficient, faster, quicker, cut expense, etc. You have to find a balance between quality & quantity, no doubt!!!!!! And you may not pull a brisket in time because you're dealing with several other briskets: multi-tasking robs us!!! But we BBQ enthusiast are innovators!

As example, I quickly realized that whatever fat you don't trim-off during the trim will be very easy to trim after the cook. I mean.....sure, excess fat may block some seasoning from getting into the meat but we all know you eventually reach a point where you're spending way too much time trying to trim away every ounce of fat: don't be an anorexic! LOL

I also found that wrapping in foil (even the heavy-duty stuff) can result in tears and leaking. Dropping the brisket into a large aluminum pan was MUCH faster, easier and doesn't leak.....BUT I found another advantage! The liquid I add (combo of beer, apple juice and some BBQ sauce) offers more surface area to boil and this creates more humidity: the meat can't go into a stall because the atmosphere is so humid that evaporation within the meat is inhibited: now you don't waste time in a stall AND you get a super-moist product (this would be braising) The more humid air also carries more heat into the meat as well......AND when it's time to pull it's already in a container, just toss a towel over it.

I learned from having a concession trailer one time, take time for yourself otherwise you will get burned out and feel that what you Love is just too much work. The result is your product will suffer in quality and sales will drop.

TRUE THAT!!!!! When fun become work, it gets old really fast.....that's why I switched to salmon for a week: brine, smoke/cook/ & vac-seal, so much easier! But after doing several slabs and spending hours doing it, I'm ready to revert back to brisket!

Steve,
My daughter has been to Lucile's several times, and she says that "it's tough and dry". I'll tell her to visit your stand and browse the market on a Saturday. Is the market at your farm? if so I still have your address saved from earlier communications.

I'm in the process of possibly planning a trip to San Diego on behalf of an organization to help present a piece of history to the San Diego Air and Space Museum. After the ceremony, I plan to visit my daughter outside of Commerce City for a week. I'd like to make time to stop by and say hello if your manning the food stand at the market.

Dude, your advice & words have stayed with me! I've created my own version of Chiavetta's (the stuff YOU turned me onto) and I make a chicken with onions that I NEED to make for you! Or better, we can do it together. I'd love to host you! I"m always telling myself that "there are several ways to arrive at great results and on one way is the only way".....

The Farmer's market is at our main home in Woodland Hills, while my farm/ranch/orchard is 35 minutes away in Fillmore. I would love to meet you when you're in the area, that would be great!

I'm sorry I rather disappeared. I've got so many projects going on and, admittedly, once I feel I've perfected something, I tend to move along to another interest or project. Granted, I didn't 'perfect' BBQ but at some point it was getting redundant and the family hit burn-out for a while.

I would only sell whole briskets if I were in your position.

I gave some thought to that, most people don't want that much meat...or even close to it. My typical order is 1-2 pounds. Also, I feel my best product is when I serve it sliced and sauced....I sauce each slice and often return to the smoker for some simmering (like burnt ends), I want people to get that product. Also, most folks don't know how to slice a whole packer cut and others will just want the point, leaving me with a lot of flat meat.

Curious as to how you handle permits, insurance, liability, health department, and the litany of other hurdles?

You need all that when selling to the public. Our Farmer's market is NOT a public event nor is it open to the public: it's a PRIVATE event and this circumvents pretty much everything. In fact, we take 'donations' :wink: to help support the farm. We do have a food handlers license and a few other things along with a Cottage Permit.....but yeah, this is all done via email with a private community: what friends do amongst friends is not subject to such scrutiny.

I appreciate the follow up, and it sounds like you have a good thing( almost too much) going. Covering your bases in any endeavor is important and you always have to consider the present situation to not get overloaded. Sounds like you got a handle on that.
Being "private" allows you to control many aspects of what you are able to cook, and you avoid that need to be totally "commercial"; but at the same time, being mindful of what is required to "pass inspection" allows for that mental understanding that your product is safe.
Enjoyed the read and the insight into you situation.

Back