The BIG MEAT: Giant USDA Prime Ribeye Roast Cooked Like a Steak, APL Style

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Yesterday we celebrated the birthday of one of our dearest friends. Earlier in the week, we told her we would prepare whatever she liked, and on Friday, asked for the "Big Meat", the name we gave to a massive bone in ribeye at a restaurant we all used to frequent years ago.

I decided I wanted to try Adam Perry Lang's prep and cooking technique that you can see here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo18GdOgdXw"]Rooftop Grilling with Adam Perry Lang - YouTube[/ame]

For convenience, I decided to go with a boneless roast, and happened to find a fine USDA Prime specimen that weighed in at just under 3 lbs:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%207_zps2hfrvmzp.jpg

I then took a heavy wooden rolling pin and proceeded to give it a first class pounding. I was surprised at how quickly it flattened from a nearly four inch thick roast to about 2.5 inches thick. After that, I applied a wet rub of olive oil, lots of fresh garlic, a bit of fresh rosemary, dijon mustard, sea salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Here it is with the wet rub fully applied:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%208_zpsl2o9qn16.jpg

The meat went into a sealable plastic bag so the wet rub would work its magic.

Later that day, we headed over to our friends place with meat and party favors in hand. The only charcoal grill they have is a Weber OTS, which would be more than adequate for how I planned to cook this beast.

The first thing I did when I got there was to season the meat. I used a compound rub consisting of the following, applied in order:

Lawry's seasoned salt
Oakridge Carne Crosta
Cattleman's Coffee Steak rub

I like the flavor profile of these for large cuts of beef. They also help give the meat a wonderful, savory "crust" at the end when the meat gets seared direct over hot coals. Here it is fully coated and seasoned:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%209_zpsceudylg8.jpg

I let the meat sit for about an hour so the rub would set, then fired up a large chimney starter full of coals. When the coals were ready, I dumped them over some leftover coals off to one side for an indirect setup:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%2010_zpsgpigahmi.jpg

The only smoking wood they had was hickory, so added a nice piece of the hickory and put the meat on:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%2011_zps6eraryyu.jpg

At that point, I put the lid on the kettle and sat back to enjoy a cold one. About 15 minutes later I flipped the meat:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%2012_zps9b9vd0r2.jpg

Another 30 or so minutes later, this is how it looked:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%202_zpswro85f9n.jpg

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%204_zpsxh0xdlnm.jpg

When the beef was reading about 125 or so, I moved it over to the hot side of the grill so I could put a nice sear on both sides:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%205_zpshmbmqwjy.jpg

Here it is after I pulled it:

Big%20Meat%206%2010%202017%206_zpstt2x0slc.jpg

I let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving. I didn't take any further pics as there was a lot going on, but given the fact that I was working with a knife that was compromised due to lack of a working edge, and really had to work it with a sharpening steel, the meat cut like warm butter. I cut it into thin slices and dinner was served. It was off the charts, and probably one of the finest beef I've ever consumed - it was almost melt-in-your mouth, it was so tender. Everyone else agreed, so I'm going to do this again soon.

A couple of thoughts:

I obviously deviated from APL with the kind of seasoning I used, as well as the fact that I didn't use an herb brush or serve the beef with a board sauce. I'm not completely sold on the latter two techniques, though at some point, I should probably give them a try just to see what I think. What intrigued me most was his technique of pounding the meat which flattens it out, which increases the surface area of the meat. This clearly helped the fat render much more easily, not to mention the tenderization resulting from the pounding, so I'm a total believer in this now.

I didn't have the time or bandwidth to document this cook with my DSLR, hence the just ok Iphone pictures, but I will definitely do that next time for sure.

That looks damn good, Moose! That flattening thing sounds interesting & definitely worth a shot. We'll be able to check out how he does it first hand when his restaurant opens on Vine, which is supposed to happed kinda soon I think.

Great cooking and posting! :clap2:

That looks damn good, Moose! That flattening thing sounds interesting & definitely worth a shot. We'll be able to check out how he does it first hand when his restaurant opens on Vine, which is supposed to happed kinda soon I think.

Great cooking and posting! :clap2:

Not that I wouldn't be entirely opposed to dropping a shared couple hundred bills on a dinner for 2 cooked for the two of us at his new place, I have to say, he'd really have to work hard to outdo what we did last night. I think you need to get yerself over here as a test subject sooner rather than later to find out for yourself...

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Must try that with the RibEye, Looks delicious and I just happen to have a few 6inches in the freezer.Thanks Moose:thumb:

One thing I wanted to add after consulting with The Missus before I did this, who is a Registered Dietician and former professional chef:

"Pounding any cut of meat, if it is done correctly, will result in the breakdown of the muscle fibers of the meat, which will render it more tender when cooked".

The Missus was a little hesitant at first about my taking this approach, especially with such a fine USDA Prime roast, but after thinking through the whole issue of creating more surface grilling space, and the potential to render fat more effectively, decided it was well worth a shot.

No regrets....

Looks fantastic. I've never heard of pounding the meat like that. Going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe some folks do this with brisket for comps as well. Makes sense from a purely non-scientific logical thinking perspective. Beat the crap out of a muscle and it tenderizes, kind of like a hard-core massage. :)

I was going to pound my meat today. A 3# Tomahawk Rib Eye. You inspired me. However after spraying bugs, I went To Whataburger instead. Kind of anti-climactic.

You pounded proudly- excellent!!

That was beautiful, Moose! Interesting about the pounding. My wife ran into a recipe for slicing then pounding pork butt to about 3/4 inch, then hot cooking it on a cast iron pan or griddle on the grill, with peaches and a few other herbs. It is now one of our favorites, and it does come out tender, counter to expectation!

Back