Ribeye Roast, Smoker or Grill?

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
While at Krogers, I walked past the meat counter and saw they had Ribeye roasts for $7.99/lb. I never tried one and could not resist. I got a two-bone 4 lb one for my wife and me to try. (I thought that was a good price and later went back and got a 10lb four bone, cut it in two, and put them in the freezer)

Anyway, I see where guys do an offset roast in a grill or BGE, etc, and others who smoke them. I would like to get sort of a consensus on which you like better. I will probably try both but just thought I would ask. Merry Christmas!

I do both- to the same roast-

Boneless Ribeye(or strip loin) Anglaise:

Score the fat and rub with Lawry’s and fresh black pepper.
Sear on all sides over hot fire.
Coat with equal parts yellow mustard and brown sugar and hit with a little bbq rub.
Smoke-indirect cook until desired temp- I like 135.
Rest and slice thin.

I picked up a 3 bone but I'm saving for New Years. Gonna try rotisserie on the weber.
Saw a youtube awhile back where somebody did that and riggrd up a way to have butter drip on it while it was cooking. It looked awesome. That reminds me I need to get one of those rotisseries for my kettle

Smoke it on the MAK until about 110* - shove it in the Vesuvio to finish it and give it a crust. I take the meat to 110* on my pellet grill running at 225*, take it off about 20-30 minutes until my pellet grill ramps up to 425* and I can get a decent crust on it that way. You've just got better toys - so I figured finishing it in the pizza oven would be pretty awesome.

Smoke it on the MAK until about 110* - shove it in the Vesuvio to finish it and give it a crust. I take the meat to 110* on my pellet grill running at 225*, take it off about 20-30 minutes until my pellet grill ramps up to 425* and I can get a decent crust on it that way. You've just got better toys - so I figured finishing it in the pizza oven would be pretty awesome.

Now that is a good idea!!! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I can get the pizza oven up to 800 degrees like nothing and then move it in or out for desired heat placement to sear. And it gives me a reason to use it. Ever since we started a very low-carb, Keto diet last February, the Vesuvio hasn't seen much action. Once in a while we slide in a griddle and do ribeyes in it but that's about it.

I think I will try one on the offset smoker first because I like the smoke flavor from it better than the MAC, but will try another on it also to compare. Each will then go into the pizza oven for searing.

I am cooking the first one today. I will try to remember to take pictures and post the results.

Thanks, SmokeOCD, And Merry Christmas to everyone.

It was very Good. I seasoned it with some Meat Church Holy Cow and a little extra garlic powder. Then I smoked it on the stick burner at 225 for three hours until it was 125 internal. Then let it rest for what was supposed to be 20 minutes, which turned out to be 35, then seared it in the pizza oven which was a little over 900 degrees. That didn't take too long and I did not put it in too far for fear of torching it, lol.

You can see in the pictures that it was cooked pretty evenly all the way through, thanks to some of you for sharing how to make that happen. It was very juicy and good. Not the pretties pictures but it tasted much better than it looked.

Not bad at all for our first attempt. We are going back to get another two-bone one today. I want to cut it in two and cook it as ribeyes and see how that works. $7.99/lb for ribeyes is worth a try. How bad could they be? I'll report back on that too. Have a great day!!!

I think I missed the upload button, lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_154853654.jpg
    PXL_20231222_154853654.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20231222_211556596~2.jpg
    PXL_20231222_211556596~2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20231222_213221556.jpg
    PXL_20231222_213221556.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20231222_214034006.jpg
    PXL_20231222_214034006.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 88
How was the holy cow? I have some but haven't used it yet. My roast usually gets Q-salt

Too much salt and too much pepper!!! I don't think I would make a good Texan, lol. My wife said I just had it on too heavy and that is probably correct. I did like the flavor on bites that did not have so much on it though. Let me/us know what you think of it. I have three more roasts so I will try Q-salt on the next one. Merry Christmas!

For a 7lb roast I did 4tbl Montreal, 1tbl McCormick UMAMI seasoning, 1tbl Instant coffee.
It calms down the saltiness of Montreal and adds earthiness from the mushroom and coffee flavor. Family requested that seasoning blend again for the one I'm cooking tomorrow.

Back