Stupid question..... Am I a Pitmaster?

I've been cooking BBQ, or something like it, for 40 years now, and when I was learning, I don't think I ever heard the term. I have no idea what it means, or who is, or isn't one. Outside of work, I have no use for titles. People want to call me chef, I politely decline, as that is an earned title. Otherwise, I like being called Bob.

My friends call me Pitmaster..... But I heard you have to turn out great Que in all kinds of weather. And all kinds of meats. Summer I can only turn out good Que. But when the temp dips below 20..... I turn out great que......
Like on this day......

Till I master summer queing just a cook..... Lol....

with this picture you'd be an Egghead not a pit master :D haha J/k of course!

I've been cooking BBQ, or something like it, for 40 years now, and when I was learning, I don't think I ever heard the term. I have no idea what it means, or who is, or isn't one. Outside of work, I have no use for titles. People want to call me chef, I politely decline, as that is an earned title. Otherwise, I like being called Bob.

I like to be Bob as well but that's not my name. haha, I agree I don't care much for titles, but it was just something silly that popped in my head this morning.

Pit master has a good ring to it. Now that I think about it, I feel that the pit master title should just go to the person cooking BBQ on a BBQ pit. It's your pit and if you can dish out food without ruining it I think you can be called a pit master if your the one doing the pit work.

I don't think it has anything to do with skill, as long as you know what your doing enough to make edible food

So this is the reason why I asked this question. What would take to be able to call yourself a pit master?

So is it knowledge of YOUR pit? or knowledge of being able to take any pit and cook a variety of stuff consistently?

If the words "Pit Master" require a lot of skill I guess I can say I'm not a pit master. But I can go outside fire my offset up and cook a variety of things with no trouble. Doesn't mean there won't be hick ups or I won't learn anything from the cook though. Every cook seems to be different in my case.

Maybe I could just start going around considering myself a pit master! LOL

I'd say you are, I've seen the evidence in your photos and your pretty damn knowledgeable too. I'd say it's knowledge of your pit.

**Putting on flameproff suit** *unless you only cook with a computer controlled pellet cooker.. then youre a backyard chef.

:behindsofa::fencing:

Grrrrr..... Listen, I can turn out some pretty good food off the gasser too!

Joking aside, I'm not sure what the definition is but it doesn't apply to me. I'm getting pretty happy with what I can do with grilling on my Genesis but part of that is knowing what type of meat to purchase. On the smoking side, the pellet is easy to control but that doesn't totally guarantee great results. There are some types of meats that I can nail consistently, others, more sporadic. While I don't run a controller on the KJ it isn't really much harder to control. That said, I like the food on the pellet grill more in general for smoking -- nice to grill on the charcoal sometimes.

To me, the term would apply to someone who can cook a pretty wide variety of proteins on a wide variety of cookers.

My personal goal would be getting to where I could crank out food of great quality consistently on the AZ Outfitters Tombstone and a SF smoker -- both on my wish list of cookers to own.

Maybe if you can cook any meat, any cut, any size, anytime, anywhere, under any weather conditions, and rock it on your own gear, you are a Personal Pitmaster ( or maybe a small P pitmaster).

If you can perform the above tasks on anything from a Jumbo Joe to that monstrosity that rolls on a semi trailer, you are a big P Pitmaster.

Last edited:
I have an idea! Step back; my head could explode!!!!

PitMasters school of BBQ! Like Truckmasters school of trucking!

We set up campuses in Memphis, Kansas City, Dallas/Forth Worth, Decatur, Oahu, Utrecht, and Los Angeles.

I can see it now.....1000s of satisfied pitmasters! Millions of satisfied BBQ consumers.....

I'm whatever you call the guy that sits in a chair next to the smoker and drinks beer while occasionally throwing a log on the fire or in the case of the drum just watching it like it's gonna do something different. Maybe Drunken Fire Tender?

I fit this description to a tee. :biggrin1:

its settled i'm declaring the shirt with name tag, logo, adult beverage in hand, serving your not to sober freinds tofoo hot off the pit. If they eat it they have to leave at once and go ask forgiveness from a higher power. OH ya can't ever wash the shirt:jaw::brick:

All that really matters is what you and your family think. I know I can turn out some great food on my Performer, WSM, or Genesis. Does that make me a Pitmaster? I don't know and don't care. I have a certificate from Harry's Soo's class that says I am, but that does not really matter. It is just a name or description. Call yourself what you want and don't worry about the rest of us. Just work hard to be the best cook you can be and be happy with that.

I don't know if I'm a pitmaster or not, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

this was brought up a mere 7 years ago.. :)

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65345

here was my response then.. hasnt changed much.. :)

I dont think a pitmaster needs to be a competitive chef, a professional chef or depend on his BBQ for income. I think a pitmaster is one that can produce consistent quality BBQ, ON ANY BBQ PIT, with confidence, passion and dedication to the craft.

Can you cook on ANY TYPE of pit and have it turn out consistently good product, even the first time out?

Do you have the confidence and knowledge to conquer challenges, seen or unseen and produce quality BBQ. (Think Kitchen Impossible)? Would you survive?

Do you have the heart(or desire) to put your BBQ against the best and walk away proud of your product regardless of outcome?

Do you look at a fallen tree as your next fuel source?

if you answered yes to the above........ You are a pitmaster. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:mrgreen:

Back