• Netflix Inspiration: I Came for the Pizza but Stayed for the Sammich

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Close to the end of the first episode of Netflix’s “Chef’s Table: Pizza” which profiled Chris Bianco’s rise from humble beginnings to revered master pizza chef, there was a brief segment where he created a sandwich for himself out of pizza dough.

I was enthralled – a simple disc of pizza dough was cooked in the wood fired oven, then sliced in half along the sides, then dressed with mortadella, fresh mozzarella, arrugala, roasted red peppers, and lots of extra virgin olive oil. As he bites into it, you can almost hear the crunch of the bread, and then olive oil begins to drip down. It was messy and beautiful, all at the same time.

I had to have one.

Further research led me to find that this sandwich is called a Panuozzo, and originates in Naples, Italy. The bread is formed from fresh pizza dough into a sandal shape as often as it is a disc. It can be filled with deli style meats, or meats and vegetables. I liked the sandal-in-the-shape-of-a-sammich idea, and ran with it.

For this panuozzo, I used Trader Joe’s pizza dough, which is a good choice as it’s a high hydration dough, which will yield lots of airy bubbles. I shaped the dough into a sandal:

5BIezK2.jpg

After lightly brushing the top with olive oil, it went into the Blackstone oven:

DW9dj9X.jpg

After the bread was cooked, I cut it in half while it was piping hot:

oWnPCxA.jpg

Vtm49iL.jpg

Added provolone cheese, mortadella, ham, roasted red peppers, and finally arugula:

6UCraSO.jpg

Gh0WGHB.jpg

maHf6zI.jpg

otmeuck.jpg

Also added olive oil and a bit of balsamic.

And here’s the sammich after I cut it in half:

u7aJkGb.jpg

[FONT=&quot]It did NOT disappoint, and was beyond any Italian sammich I’ve had. The crisp outer crunch gave way to warm soft airy tenderness, then the veggies, meat and cheese. It was truly a flavor and texture explosion of the very best kind. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
4tTLbro.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks fer lookin'!
[/FONT]

Last edited:
YUM. That looks and sounds amazing. I bet it would be good with some really good tomato slices and heated to melt the cheese
I bet that bread would be good as a Cuban Sandwich

Back