Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Did a turkey tenderloin yesterday. 145 for 6 hours. Seared in cast iron with oo. Why 6 hours? Because that was the least amount of time between work hours for me and my wife. Anyway, the turkey was super tender and moist. Delicious.
My point here is that even though we went pass the optimum time, we still got a beautiful result. For me, that is one of the wonderful things about sous vide.

Did a big strip steak last night, wife and I shared it. Also sous vided 2 russet potatoes with butter added, then when they were done, mashed em up with sour cream, cheese, bacon bits and scallions to make twice baked potatoes. Steaks were finished in cast iron skillet with some olive oil, came out with a perfect sear and hardly any grey ring around the meat.

That looks perfect! :eusa_clap

Wife loves baked potatoes. Is this much better than wrapping foil and tossing in the oven?
Well, in this instance it's apples vs oranges. You can't beat a good oven baked potato, in this instance, I was just gonna do buttered potatoes, but at the last moment decided to do a version of twice baked.

I need some help with pork chops. The best pork chop I ever had in my life was cooked sous vide by a local restaurant. It seems like it was cooked above 140F because it was white and definitely not med rare color.

I have tried nice, thick, center cut pork chops twice with my Anova and was disappointed both times. I tried them at 145 and 140 for ~1.5 hours and both times the loin section of the meat was tough and slightly dry. The tenderloin section of the meat was tender and juicy. I much prefer my grilled chops to my two takes at sous vide chops thus far.

Anyone have any success with sous vide pork chops at home? Any advice is appreciated. I'm chasing that high of the perfect chop like I had at my local restaurant.

I just did a bone in pork loin that came out amazing. It was a six bone roast that I cut in half and froze one half for later. I chopped up some garlic cloves, threw in some butter and some salt and pepper, vac sealed and put it in the bath at 141* for approx 3 hrs. Took it out and seared it off on the kettle over some lump. Like I said, I was surprised how good it was. I can not wait to do the other half. Very tender and moist. I may have taken some pics but I cant find a Fotomat to get them developed.

Sous vide tri-tip

Did a Santa Maria Tri-tip from Trader Joe's today. 134 for 7 hours and then seared on the Weber. Texture was like prime rib. Beautiful. Delicious.

tritip_small_zpsxvqvd9in.jpg

Back