Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

I notice a few people doing large cuts of meats for only a couple hours, isnt that kind of beside the purpose of sous vide?

Did a 2 lb. Choice Tri-Tip roast in the Anova.

Process: I applied Kosher salt on both sides and let it sit 24 hours refrigerated. Rinsed salt and patted dry and applied a light dusting of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria rub and vac sealed. Anova set to 128* for 10 hours. Removed from tub and bag, patted dry and sprayed with EVOO and applied a second dusting of rub and grilled on the Weber gasser over Grill Grates to an internal 135-137*.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Hand-Smoke/116187658462391

The texture was great, but my critics said it was lacking some "pop!"

Overall I was pleased, but next time, grilling over some smokey hardwood will be the finish.

Did my second 24 hour sous vide beef chuck roast for dinner last night.

Just like the first time.....it turned out AMAZING!

4 lb chuck roast
Added 2 sprigs of fresh basil, several fresh sprigs of thyme and a fresh sprig of rosemary (all were clipped right from my garden only minutes before going into the bag).
Added 2 large cloves garlic
Added 1 whole shallot

Vacuum sealed all together.

Annova set for 170 degrees.
Once water up to temp, dropped the roast with seasoning in the bath & left it there for 24 hours.

Served with saute'd green beans, cottage cheese and mashed taters with gravy made (in part) with the juices from the bag.

Spectacular.

Did a 2 lb. Choice Tri-Tip roast in the Anova.

Process: I applied Kosher salt on both sides and let it sit 24 hours refrigerated. Rinsed salt and patted dry and applied a light dusting of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria rub and vac sealed. Anova set to 128* for 10 hours. Removed from tub and bag, patted dry and sprayed with EVOO and applied a second dusting of rub and grilled on the Weber gasser over Grill Grates to an internal 135-137*.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Hand-Smoke/116187658462391

The texture was great, but my critics said it was lacking some "pop!"

Overall I was pleased, but next time, grilling over some smokey hardwood will be the finish.

Anything under 130 I thought was basically an incubator for bacteria and shouldn't be considered? Everything I've read says nothing over 4hours under 130.

And Wampus, how's the texture at 170? I always do much chuckies at 132 but I also don't prefer anything over medium rare either.

Wampus, how's the texture at 170? I always do much chuckies at 132 but I also don't prefer anything over medium rare either.

We like the texture at 170.
I've seen other recipes that call for 160, others that call for a lower temp to yield a nice pink rib roast texture. I've done two now at 170 and they are not at all pink, but very tender and flavorful. The fat is rendered well at that temp.

We like the texture at 170.
I've seen other recipes that call for 160, others that call for a lower temp to yield a nice pink rib roast texture. I've done two now at 170 and they are not at all pink, but very tender and flavorful. The fat is rendered well at that temp.

Have you done them at 132ish before? If so and you like the 170 more, I'll have to give it a try.

I'm just getting in on this thread. My wife bought me an Anova for Christmas and I've been using it about once a week or so. So far I have found that fish, chicken and pork roasts turn out really well, but I have not enjoyed the steaks that I've done. Even with a good seasoning in advance of cooking and putting a char on in a cast iron pan, they taste watery and bland to me. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm just getting in on this thread. My wife bought me an Anova for Christmas and I've been using it about once a week or so. So far I have found that fish, chicken and pork roasts turn out really well, but I have not enjoyed the steaks that I've done. Even with a good seasoning in advance of cooking and putting a char on in a cast iron pan, they taste watery and bland to me. Anyone else have this issue?

I don't know your method doing steaks, but I've been doing mine at 132 for no more than 4 hours. Seasoned with Bolner's steak seasoning then vacuum bagged, then put on the gasser's sear grill I get the best of both worlds. This is a strip steak with twice cooked baked tater

Last edited:
Made a few corned beef flats now and this was the best one by far. I cooked 12.5 hours set at 170. I will be sticking with that time and temp.

Cool, I have one that I am cold smoking tonight then sous vide tomorrow for pastrami. I think I will go with that same time/temp.

New blog post from Anova...

http://anovaculinary.com/the-food-lab-guide-to-sous-vide-ribs

Perfecting any recipe is a challenge for me. I am, shall we say, a little obsessive with my testing. Perfecting a recipe like sous vide barbecue-style pork ribs, where there’s not only dozens of variables (temperature, time, cut of pork, the rub, the sauce, smoking, grilling, etc.), but also a huge built-in expectations (barbecue-lovers are the most exacting crowd around), is an even bigger project. What normally takes me a few days of testing ended up taking me over two weeks and a several dozen individual tests to finally nail.

Still, once you get the basics down, it’s easy to see the advantages of cooking sous vide ribs. The biggest challenge when cooking ribs over live wood using traditional methods is temperature and moisture control. You have to account for exactly how much smoke is getting to the meat, how much ventilation the fire is getting, how the heat is getting trapped inside the smoker or the grill, all while using an inherently unpredictable live-fire heat source. It’s no wonder that it takes years of practice for the best barbecuers around to hone their craft. Sous-vide methods eliminate that unpredictability.

Carnitas!

Deboned pork butt, cut into larger chunks, brined, applied dry rub, frig for 24 hours.

Bagged with a couple of table spoons of lard and a couple of table spoons of orange juice concentrate.

Cooked 22 hours at 170 with Anova.

Defatted cooking liquid and reduced on stove, shredded pork, mixed with reduced cooking juices and finished under broiler.

It was the best ever. Wonderful texture and flavor.

Carnitas!

Deboned pork butt, cut into larger chunks, brined, applied dry rub, frig for 24 hours.

Bagged with a couple of table spoons of lard and a couple of table spoons of orange juice concentrate.

Defatted cooking liquid and reduced on stove, shredded pork, mixed with reduced cooking juices and finished under broiler.

Sound good! What did you use for the rub?

Carnitas!

sounds great!....just curious, with a fatty cut like butt, why the lard?...did it add anything to the final product?

sounds great!....just curious, with a fatty cut like butt, why the lard?...did it add anything to the final product?

Traditional carnitas are ofter "boiled" in lard. The food science is simple: The lard mitigates heat transfer to the meat (as compared to boiling water) and helps stop the release of natural juices and therefore helps the meat stay moist and tender.

We only used a small amount of lard and frankly, I couldn't determine if it had any real effect. The very nature of sous vid cooking avoids the most common reason for dry meats with lower cooking temps.

Anova display question. Today I was using the Anova to help thaw a fairly large amount of frozen Q prior to reheating. I just set it at 41 deg. so that it would circulate but not heat. As the temperature dropped below 50, the next reading was 40.9 instead of 49.9. It appears that for any reading in the 40's the ones digit is a 0. Has anybody else seen this? Not really a major issue, but it is an odd quirk.

Back